Aquarium used as a chameleon cage

Can a glass aquarium be a chameleons home if properly adapted to sustain?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

NCveiled

Hello,

I’ve done the research but I wanted to know what y’all think...

thank you for your opinions on this matter because I have converted an aquarium to a home for my babe!

Attachments

• 0B0F609E-3FC9-43CC-9419-715381E8F22E.jpeg
    0B0F609E-3FC9-43CC-9419-715381E8F22E.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 155
  • B6C2D9E9-A0C4-400E-A518-968B85D48F5A.jpeg
    B6C2D9E9-A0C4-400E-A518-968B85D48F5A.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 208
it may work as it still small and yemens are more forgiven but that is not suited for anything else tha pygmies. It´s a big risk of RI and other nasty shit. If you want glass get yourself a proper terrarium like exoterras with full mesh on the top plus front ventilation so the air exchange can occur by the chimney effect.

Many, many years ago in the dark ages, when I first started keeping chameleons, all that was available for caging was aquariums. I kept some common chameleons in them as well as veileds and quads. I do not recommend them these days when there are so many other options.

That being said, there is no need for them to have stagnant air in them....you have to set up the lights so there is a chimney effect. Also, you can not let any water lay stagnant in the cage...bacteria will build up.

Depending on the size it could be ok for a young veiled temporarily ...as long as you follow what I said above....and depending on where you live.

How big is it (don't tell me in gallons...tell me in feet/inches.)

Horizontal space is good, but chameleons also need some height; they are arboreal, and are more comfortable basking at or above eye level.

The screen top is good, but I don't see any vents at/near the bottom to generate a chimney effect.
Placing a fan on top only draws air back down through the top and out again, without really providing sufficient air-change (fresh air).

IMO, a well-designed & constructed hybrid enclosure is a much better option. The solid sides & door(s) can still be clear if desired.

You don't need vents to create a chimney effect...if you place the basking light at one end of the lid the warm air produced under the light should create a convection current as the hot air at that end of the aquarium rises and pulls the colder air across.

This will sort of illustrate it...

Last edited:
Hello,

I’ve done the research but I wanted to know what y’all think...

thank you for your opinions on this matter because I have converted an aquarium to a home for my babe!
How have you handled drainage? Is your setup bioactive? Imo if it isn't you are asking for trouble using substrate. What are the dimensions? it looks like it will be to small for an adult veiled.

You don't need vents to create a chimney effect...if you place the basking light at one end of the lid the warm air produced under the light should create a convection current as the hot air at that end of the aquarium rises and pulls the colder air across.

This will sort of illustrate it...

Uh... that's a closed convection loop. It just cycles the water (or air) around and around.
Not a chimney effect, which draws fresh air and exhausts warm (stale) air upward. ;)

Will you get enough ventilation? Granted different species require different levels of ventilation, ie: Why Brookesia can live in an aquarium buy Pardalis cannot. But you figure there much more air movement way up in the trees then down on the leaf litter. And less air movement in more humid air. Thats why I've found the placement of the vents is important. I've seen terrariums with side vents placed in the middle/ top, wich could create a cross breeze but would create poor ventilation towards the bottom.

I would use an aquarium, but it would just be part of a good, watertight, and deep bioactive/drainage layer. Just build a custom screen or screen/pvc cage to sit on top of it. But as the actual enclosure, not so much, maybe for just a Pygmy colony.

Does this help?
A little, yes. At least it's not a closed loop. But it's similar to putting a fan on top.
Placing a fan on top only draws air back down through the top and out again, without really providing sufficient air-change (fresh air).
Ventilation isn't about air movement as much as it's about air change. :)

Definitely better options.
🤯

We're just arguing discussing this academically, right? 🤓

Back
Top Bottom