aquarium heated incubator

coopermark

please i'm in very urgent help
i have set my incubator up using a aquarium heater as above
half filled a tub with damp vermeculite
what i wanted to know is what % of humidity am i tring to get.....??
oww veild chameloen eggs (very soon she's about to explode)
problem i'm having is humidity with dry vemeculite is 50% but give it a slight mist and % goes sky high 99%+
temps in side egg tub is perfect.....

You don't want dry vermiculite, it needs to be just barely moist. The eggs can't dry out. If you think about them underground there is some moisture. Just don't over due it and you can't spray when the eggs are in there. You can drip water on the vermiculite but do not get water directly on the eggs.

You don't want dry vermiculite, it needs to be just barely moist. The eggs can't dry out. If you think about them underground there is some moisture. Just don't over due it and you can't spray when the eggs are in there. You can drip water on the vermiculite but do not get water directly on the eggs.

k i got that about damp vericulite
was told to get the humidity between 70%-80%.......does this only apply when using a heat mat.....

If you dampen the vermiculite and then take a fist full of it you should only be able to squeeze one or two drops of water out of it. I use the coarse vermiculite because it stays more evenly moist than the fine stuff does.

I use shoebox sized tupperware-type containers. I punch two very very small holes in the lids. I fill them about half full of the damp vermiculite and add the eggs in depressions I've made with my thumb. I make the depressions about 1" apart in all directions so that the eggs will hatch more individually. (If they are all close together they will hatch almost all at once...this is fine in nature, but I feel the survival rate is better with them spread apart.) I put the lids on and place the containers where I intend to incubate them.

There will be beads of moisture form on the sides of the container and the underside of the lid. That's okay. As was already said...if you need to add any water because the verm. is drying out, add it on the vermiculite not on the eggs. If you only remove the lid for a second or two to check on the eggs from time to time you shouldn't have to add any water.

ok got this sorted a couple of days ago.......anyway on another note my veiled cham layed her eggs today 72.......:eek:
soo the eggs are cooking nicley now in the incubator...

You might want to slow your veiled down a bit. If you do here's how I do it...feed her well for a couple of days after she has laid and then cut back to about 8 - 10 crickets (or equivalent amount of something else) every 2 or 3 days along with lowering the basking temp. to the low 80's.

Good luck with them!

sad sad day
after laying her eggs my veild cham struggled to recover. i sat with her for 18 hours trying to give her critial care formula sadly got up yesterday after a few hour kipp to find she passed away...:(:(:(:(
rest in peace Amellia...:(

Back
Top Bottom