Appropriate lay bin

zmoore91

hey everyone, I’ve recently been blowing up the forums since I finally got a pair of panthers I have been wanting. Unfortunately the pair I got weren’t in the BEST hands. They were housed together and are both about 8 months old.( I separated them immediately) The female is pretty small and looks kinda skinny. (Only fed crickets without much supplementation, I’ve started some)I don’t think she’s holding eggs BUT I wanted to be safe. I went and got a plant bucket and put a small pothos in it. I filled it with very wet top soil. I wanted to know if this will suffice for a lay bin just Incase.

Here are pictures

Attachments

• A8AA79F7-573C-494E-AB04-2C91F3F455E6.jpeg
    A8AA79F7-573C-494E-AB04-2C91F3F455E6.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 123
  • F993DA17-527D-45A3-9848-EDDE296C3CE7.jpeg
    F993DA17-527D-45A3-9848-EDDE296C3CE7.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 121
Take out the plants and replace with either all play sand or 1/2 play sand and 1/2 organic soil. Make sure the depth is at least 16”. Here’s a screenshot of lay bin info off of the panther care sheet

Attachments

• 597A4268-D10A-467F-97FB-B440724EFC01.png
    597A4268-D10A-467F-97FB-B440724EFC01.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Make sure the pot has drainage as well, if not, poke some holes in the bottom. If you want, I can link a pot from Lowe’s that’ll work very well. Lowe’s also has play sand. Be sure to thoroughly wash the playsand before putting it in the pot

It does have drainage. I didn’t add sand, but that’s an easy fix. I’m gonna say I’m at 10 inches of depth and I added the plant because I’ve heard they sometimes like to dig by plants.

It does have drainage. I didn’t add sand, but that’s an easy fix. I’m gonna say I’m at 10 inches of depth and I added the plant because I’ve heard they sometimes like to dig by plants.
Take out the plant and just make sure there are some branches and/or vines leading into the bin. Up the depth of the substrate, as well

Take out the plant and just make sure there are some branches and/or vines leading into the bin. Up the depth of the substrate, as well
Sounds good! I don’t think she’s got eggs, but it is a good safety precaution. I was under the impression they were housed separate, and upon arrival saw they were not. Just turned out to be more work than I anticipated. But it’s worth it!

From what I have read, you are correct that lucky bamboo can be toxic. The OP here has a panther chameleon, which are not known to be big plant eaters, though. I think your "not gonna chance it" attitude is a smart one (especially since you have a veiled)!
Might take mine out then!

i feed her mostly crickets and every so often i will give her a horn worm or a meal worm for a treat i also put in vegetables like lettuce and kale but she never eats it

Just make sure you gutload your bugs and rotate their diet. Also make sure your dusting with calcium and multivitamin. You should try Dubia Roaches too! They smell way less than crickets, and are way better.
And red runner, orange headed, and ivory headed roaches! Along with silkworms and black soldier flies and larvae, amongst other feeders!

Back
Top Bottom