Anyone want to help an uneducated 18 year old?

Dawson

Hello all! First of all, I would like to say that I do not own a chameleon, and I will be purchasing a veiled (hopefully male if I can find one) chameleon for my girlfriend as she has been wanting one for a while now. I’m very concerned about purchasing incorrect products, plants, lights, etc. as I have also fallen in love with the color changing booger monsters, and want to give a chameleon the best life possible. I have already went down the rabbit hole and have spent hours and hours researching, but at this point its just a buncha info swimming in my head randomly. Now, I would also like to note that a chameleon wont be purchased soon after the other stuff is, because my girlfriend brought up a good point of really nailing down everything and making sure that you have a proper home setup for them. Heres what I have purchased-

I bought a 2x2x4 screen cage, as well as a 24” T5HO light fixture with a 6% arcadia uvb bulb (I don’t want to spend $200 on plants so it wont be uber dense in there i hope)
I also bought a ReptiZoo misting machine, with a timer, duration, and pressure setting on it (i just hope the lightest setting still isnt too harsh)
As well as a laser thermometer gun and some cheap stick on thermometer gauges.
I’m also planning on purchasing these things called “Dragon Stand” ledges? So you can hang plants without adding stress to the mesh screen that’s probably not made of quality material.
Now, if you guys dont mind I have a few questions. What is a proper way to set up pathways for a chameleon?? Just go out and find some oak branches and take off the bark, sand it down so they don’t get splinters and bake it a little to disinfect it? Or are artificial branches okay? Also, what about a heat lamp? I’m pretty sure a dome reflector lamp thingy is the good one, especially if it has a dimmable switch. Also, with white incandescant bulbs correct? I would buy 40-100w bulbs to be safe. Do I also need other lights that don’t necessarily need to produce heat for the chameleon??
I would also like to mention that it would be in the corner of a room in the back of a house that isn’t high traffic, and I would like to install a curtain incase their cat decides to stroll in. Do chameleons have some spidey sense type stuff? I would rather not give a cute little booger a heart attack, especially if I’m going to spend like $600..
Thank you for your time if you read all of this, please ask as many questions and scold me if I’m missing vital stuff or information. I haven’t researched a lot about the vitamins and calcium they need in their diet either!! Will get on it asap.

Hi and welcome! You are totally awesome for doing your research and setting up before getting a chameleon! 💗 Sounds like you are definitely on the right path with enclosure and lights. Not as uneducated as you claim! ;) Dragon ledges are indispensable for hanging branches and plants. Do make sure to check out the section on the dragon ledge page of how to best use them.
For branches, you can use any except those from pine and other trees with sap. Just give a good wash with dish soap, a good rinse and they’re good to go. No need to sand, de-bark or bake them.
You don’t need to spend a small fortune on plants to create a good level of coverage. Pothos are a favorite...easy and fast growers and pretty inexpensive. I buy the bushiest one I can find and then separate it into a couple of pots...kind of like 2 for 1. Another advantage of pothos is you can very easily create more plants from clippings. Wandering Jew adds a great splash of color and also is easy to grow and super easy to create more from clippings. If you want to get a plant light, you could get a schefflera which adds some height and foliage density. Here’s the safe plant list. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ I’ll also attach a pic of one of my enclosures to give you an idea of how to set one up. I have only 1 fake vine...all the rest are natural branches.
For basking light, many of us use a plain old incandescent bulb in a dome fixture. I‘d say start with a 60w and see what temps that gives you. The newer thinking is to keep basking temps around 80 with no higher than 85 for an adult male veiled.
Feeders are an area that many new keepers need some guidance in. Variety is best and you need to feed the buggies healthy foods so that they are a better source of nutrition. I’ll attach the feeder and ‘gutload’ sheets for you.
Supplements are very important and there’s as many different regimens as there are supplements on the market. If you want one of the better supplements, go back to the Dragon Strand website and order the Arcadia supplement package. On that same page is the schedule you’d follow for giving them.
Not sure if you’ve yet figured it out, but Bill Strand is the guy who’s created Dragon Strand and is a leader in all things chameleon. Check out https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ on his website for care of veileds. From the home page you can also access the podcasts and the learning is almost endless.
Never hesitate to ask anything. There’s a ton of experienced keepers here who love making the world a better place for chameleons and their keepers. 😊
1DE9F1EB-3F18-400F-B385-E3183AE7CE67.jpeg
50F6A8D0-513C-4B9A-9989-B2A5E14BB437.jpeg

7FE39F6D-D919-4BB0-A22E-AA2C25938D9C.jpeg

Hi and welcome! You are totally awesome for doing your research and setting up before getting a chameleon! 💗 Sounds like you are definitely on the right path with enclosure and lights. Not as uneducated as you claim! ;) Dragon ledges are indispensable for hanging branches and plants. Do make sure to check out the section on the dragon ledge page of how to best use them.
For branches, you can use any except those from pine and other trees with sap. Just give a good wash with dish soap, a good rinse and they’re good to go. No need to sand, de-bark or bake them.
You don’t need to spend a small fortune on plants to create a good level of coverage. Pothos are a favorite...easy and fast growers and pretty inexpensive. I buy the bushiest one I can find and then separate it into a couple of pots...kind of like 2 for 1. Another advantage of pothos is you can very easily create more plants from clippings. Wandering Jew adds a great splash of color and also is easy to grow and super easy to create more from clippings. If you want to get a plant light, you could get a schefflera which adds some height and foliage density. Here’s the safe plant list. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ I’ll also attach a pic of one of my enclosures to give you an idea of how to set one up. I have only 1 fake vine...all the rest are natural branches.
For basking light, many of us use a plain old incandescent bulb in a dome fixture. I‘d say start with a 60w and see what temps that gives you. The newer thinking is to keep basking temps around 80 with no higher than 85 for an adult male veiled.
Feeders are an area that many new keepers need some guidance in. Variety is best and you need to feed the buggies healthy foods so that they are a better source of nutrition. I’ll attach the feeder and ‘gutload’ sheets for you.
Supplements are very important and there’s as many different regimens as there are supplements on the market. If you want one of the better supplements, go back to the Dragon Strand website and order the Arcadia supplement package. On that same page is the schedule you’d follow for giving them.
Not sure if you’ve yet figured it out, but Bill Strand is the guy who’s created Dragon Strand and is a leader in all things chameleon. Check out https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ on his website for care of veileds. From the home page you can also access the podcasts and the learning is almost endless.
Never hesitate to ask anything. There’s a ton of experienced keepers here who love making the world a better place for chameleons and their keepers. 😊
View attachment 284756View attachment 284757
View attachment 284758
Wow, thank you so much. The amount of anxiety that was lifted off of me after reading that! I began reading about the various minerals and vitamins needed- thank you for the reccomendation. I believe a little starter pack of supplements would be awesome, also, your enclosure looks super awesome!! I appreciate the pictures and links that you have included. From what Ive read, the bugs that you feed them need to be dusted with calcium based on the amount of phosphorus the bugs themselves contain? As well as an occasional vitamin d3 and vitamin A dusting/supplement?

Wow, thank you so much. The amount of anxiety that was lifted off of me after reading that! I began reading about the various minerals and vitamins needed- thank you for the reccomendation. I believe a little starter pack of supplements would be awesome, also, your enclosure looks super awesome!! I appreciate the pictures and links that you have included. From what Ive read, the bugs that you feed them need to be dusted with calcium based on the amount of phosphorus the bugs themselves contain? As well as an occasional vitamin d3 and vitamin A dusting/supplement?
So very happy to be able to be of help! 😊 Most feeders have a high level of phosphorus, so to balance it you’d use a phosphorus- free calcium. If you get/use the Arcadia supplements, you’d give the Earth Pro-A for 3 feedings, then use the Calcium Pro-MG for one feeding, 3 feedings with Earth Pro-A and then one feeding with Revitalize D3.
The basic regimen would be phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding except one per week. For that one weekly feeding you’d alternate using a multivitamin one week and the next week calcium with D3.
Similarly another is phos free calcium without D3 every feeding except one every other week, in which you’d use Reptivite with D3 or Repashy Calcium Plus.
Another is to use only Repashy Calcium with LoD every feeding (anecdotally can cause edema in some animals tho).
As I said, there’s many different regimens and everyone has their own style. I’ve tried several and currently use the Arcadia, which I’ve seen good results with. I like that it includes bee pollen and vitamin A. I recently took in a panther chameleon with a bad eye and who was a bit lethargic - within a week or so on the Arcadia, his eye improved, his activity levels increased and after a few weeks he’s completely normal. *that’s his enclosure btw.

I really appreciate everyones responses, you guys are incredibly nice!! I am about to purchase a little starter pack of supplements from the Dragon Strand website. I am still curious about how much calcium supplement one should sprinkle on depending on what bugs the chameleon is eating. Im also guessing it depends on just about every factor I can think of as well, haha! I will try to encourage a variation of bugs and heathy vegetables and leafy greens in the diet of her future chameleon.... I also have a question about the storage of the critters that are doomed for eternity, is it okay to just keept them in a cheap plastic tub/drawer? Thanks again for all of your replies and lovely answers.

Hi so I have habistat feeder tongs I usually put them in my supplements and just push them in and out and it sprinkles my feeders also arcadia sell insect fuel to gutload. When I say gutload I think I do dif from some members. I don't take my feeders out and and gutload them 24/48 hours in advance i feed them constantly. So twice a week I take my locust/dubia /crickets/out of their tubs disinfectant and replace their gutload
20201207_212804.jpg

I really appreciate everyones responses, you guys are incredibly nice!! I am about to purchase a little starter pack of supplements from the Dragon Strand website. I am still curious about how much calcium supplement one should sprinkle on depending on what bugs the chameleon is eating. Im also guessing it depends on just about every factor I can think of as well, haha! I will try to encourage a variation of bugs and heathy vegetables and leafy greens in the diet of her future chameleon.... I also have a question about the storage of the critters that are doomed for eternity, is it okay to just keept them in a cheap plastic tub/drawer? Thanks again for all of your replies and lovely answers.
It doesn’t really make much difference on how much to sprinkle on each various type of feeder. You will dust all the same, with the exception being bsfl which are I think the only feeder that has higher calcium than phosphorus and need no dusting. I just put a tiny pinch in a cup, swirl it around with my feeders and that’s it. You don’t need the bugs looking like little snowmen...just a light dusting is good.
Although most veileds will eat some fruits and veggies, they are of no benefit. They actually don’t have the physiology to digest plant matter.
Depending on the bug, just a plastic bin with ventilation will do. I too don’t gutload, as in loading the feeders up before feeding them to my chams. I just keep them well fed with a variety of organic produce (same as I give my beardie) and a bit of Repashy bug burger.

It doesn’t really make much difference on how much to sprinkle on each various type of feeder. You will dust all the same, with the exception being bsfl which are I think the only feeder that has higher calcium than phosphorus and need no dusting. I just put a tiny pinch in a cup, swirl it around with my feeders and that’s it. You don’t need the bugs looking like little snowmen...just a light dusting is good.
Although most veileds will eat some fruits and veggies, they are of no benefit. They actually don’t have the physiology to digest plant matter.
Depending on the bug, just a plastic bin with ventilation will do. I too don’t gutload, as in loading the feeders up before feeding them to my chams. I just keep them well fed with a variety of organic produce (same as I give my beardie) and a bit of Repashy bug burger.
Awesome! I didnt realize gutloading and just feeding bugs were different. Also, what the heck is Repashy bug burger..? Like a burger for bugs? Thanks for the awesome reply.

Hi so I have habistat feeder tongs I usually put them in my supplements and just push them in and out and it sprinkles my feeders also arcadia sell insect fuel to gutload. When I say gutload I think I do dif from some members. I don't take my feeders out and and gutload them 24/48 hours in advance i feed them constantly. So twice a week I take my locust/dubia /crickets/out of their tubs disinfectant and replace their gutload View attachment 284796
Thank you so much!! I am a little hesistant on insectfuel, im sure its organic and pretty much dehydrated powder thats packed with proteins and whatnot, but it just seems a little.. off to me, might buy some in the future!! Also, does it matter how the bugs are stored/kept? I wouldnt imagine it being a problem as long as its not below 40 or above 100.

Awesome! I didnt realize gutloading and just feeding bugs were different. Also, what the heck is Repashy bug burger..? Like a burger for bugs? Thanks for the awesome reply.
Bug burger is a powder that you mix with water and microwave for a minute and it creates a firmer than jello concoction. I mix a little bee pollen and spirulina in with mine for a little extra boost. I just slice off pieces and give to my bugs along with lots of greens, pumpkin/squash, bell pepper and whatever else I bought that week. My roaches love the stuff!

Bug burger is a powder that you mix with water and microwave for a minute and it creates a firmer than jello concoction. I mix a little bee pollen and spirulina in with mine for a little extra boost. I just slice off pieces and give to my bugs along with lots of greens, pumpkin/squash, bell pepper and whatever else I bought that week. My roaches love the stuff!
Bless!! Thank you so much. I’ll have to look into the burger stuff as well as bee pollen.

Well you see if you want to keep variety for cham 3 main feeders plus 1 to 2 treat feeders they can only be bought in so much of a small capacity and depending on how much availability you have to them and delivery time if this is something you need to do . I like to have more feeders than I need and not need them than no feeders and need them with covid restrictions and postal delays. I use arcadia which already has bee pollen and spiruluna

I don't understand why someone would add spiruluna to bug burger when a top class company has already spent a lot l of money in research to get the balance in there products. But sure make up your own ratios

I don't understand why someone would add spiruluna to bug burger when a top class company has already spent a lot l of money in research to get the balance in there products. But sure make up your own ratios

Damn, aggressive buddy. Spirulina is a pretty solid ingredient and isn't known to cause harm. Why not add it If you'd like? No knock on repashy or whatever, but just because they have a formula doesn't mean adding an ingredient is harmful. There is little known about human nutrition let alone reptile or insect. Everyone is mostly making up sh** based off a few of the small studies that there are(big companies included).

Personally, I've used spirulina for years. All my chams have been healthy, my Parsons is thriving. It's a big part of my gutload/dusting that I make up on my own.

Well you see if you want to keep variety for cham 3 main feeders plus 1 to 2 treat feeders they can only be bought in so much of a small capacity and depending on how much availability you have to them and delivery time if this is something you need to do . I like to have more feeders than I need and not need them than no feeders and need them with covid restrictions and postal delays. I use arcadia which already has bee pollen and spiruluna
Thats what I was thinking, better off to be crawling with them than not having any at all and needing some ASAP. I purchased a little starter pack of arcadia supplements, which one of yours has bee pollen?

Back
Top Bottom