Anyone know what this is?

Rae-Button

I took out my girl today and half her tail looked like this. The other side looks completely normal.
No it is not dirt 20201216_124556.jpg

Falls are very uncommon with Chameleons... So if your girl fell last week then there is a reason behind it. Typically this is a warning sign with an adult. Ignoring it can mean further issues. Can you post pictures of your entire chameleon and of her enclosure lighting down?

Falls are very uncommon with Chameleons... So if your girl fell last week then there is a reason behind it. Typically this is a warning sign with an adult. Ignoring it can mean further issues. Can you post pictures of your entire chameleon and of her enclosure lighting down?

She falls/loses balance a lot, and does have a couple issues, has for a year now but the vet said its a waiting game or euthanize. At the moment I'm basically just trying to let her live out her life peacefully. But she's not eating anymore, how long can chameleons live on fruit?

She falls/loses balance a lot, and does have a couple issues, has for a year now but the vet said its a waiting game or euthanize. At the moment I'm basically just trying to let her live out her life peacefully. But she's not eating anymore, how long can chameleons live on fruit?
What kind of issues? Would you mind posting photos of her entire body, and your enclosure including the light, and your supplement schedule you have her on??

Is there a lay bin? Don’t feed fruit.
You can make a mixture called bug juice.
I will find the link. What ever issue she has may not be fixable but can be managed

What kind of issues? Would you mind posting photos of her entire body, and your enclosure including the light, and your supplement schedule you have her on??

2019 she had a prolapse, then she couldn't lay the eggs was put on pure calcium and ADE. She laid 59 eggs on Nov 19th, 2019. Nov. 28th when I went in they said she had another clutch starting immediately. Which is different than what they're supposed to do I guess. She hasn't laid the Nov. 28th 2019 clutch of eggs yet. She hasn't even attempted to dig, and refuses crickets.

I know some people are going to say I need to add more leaves and stuff but I have tried and she attacks them and gets scared.

Two times a week she gets multivitamin, as well as the ADE the vet gave me (2× a week). Calcium dust she used to get everyday on crickets, now I mix it with the fruit I feed her. And the pure calcium the vet gave me she gets 3 times a week.
20201216_130202.jpg 20201221_190600.jpg

Is there a lay bin? Don’t feed fruit.
You can make a mixture called bug juice.
I will find the link. What ever issue she has may not be fixable but can be managed

She has a lay bin yes but she doesn't want to dig at all. She just sits in one spot and doesn't move.
Thank you!

Is she missing claws. If so, how many?
That might be part of why she's falling.

I'm wondering if something internally could be pushing in a nerve to the tail and that's why the color is like that...it's only a thought...I'm not a vet and can only guess.

How many clutches has she laid altogether? When for each? How many eggs in each?

2019 she had a prolapse, then she couldn't lay the eggs was put on pure calcium and ADE. She laid 59 eggs on Nov 19th, 2019. Nov. 28th when I went in they said she had another clutch starting immediately. Which is different than what they're supposed to do I guess. She hasn't laid the Nov. 28th 2019 clutch of eggs yet. She hasn't even attempted to dig, and refuses crickets.

I know some people are going to say I need to add more leaves and stuff but I have tried and she attacks them and gets scared.

Two times a week she gets multivitamin, as well as the ADE the vet gave me (2× a week). Calcium dust she used to get everyday on crickets, now I mix it with the fruit I feed her. And the pure calcium the vet gave me she gets 3 times a week.
View attachment 286218View attachment 286219
I’m no where near a vet or experienced in abnormal chameleon reproductive issues, but somehow this doesn’t sound right to me. Per my limited knowledge if she was egg bound, she should/could have surgery to remove them and be spayed. Also, with correct husbandry, it should be unusual to have laying problems.
You are giving her vitamins ADE plus a multivitamin twice a week? All of these are fat soluble and will build up in her system and can cause health issues. @kinyonga...what do you think?

Is she missing claws. If so, how many?
That might be part of why she's falling.

I'm wondering if something internally could be pushing in a nerve to the tail and that's why the color is like that...it's only a thought...I'm not a vet and can only guess.

How many clutches has she laid altogether? When for each? How many eggs in each?

She is missing only one or two in pretty sure. I'll look in the morning. She used to be fine, but now she's wobbly and falls, the fall last week was when she was asleep. I thought she was dead that morning she looked rough.

The darkness on one side spread to the other side of her tail and up her side, idk what if it's but it's weird.

She has only had one, her second clutch is in her right now. November 2019 was her first clutch and 59 eggs.

I’m no where near a vet or experienced in abnormal chameleon reproductive issues, but somehow this doesn’t sound right to me. Per my limited knowledge if she was egg bound, she should/could have surgery to remove them and be spayed. Also, with correct husbandry, it should be unusual to have laying problems.
You are giving her vitamins ADE plus a multivitamin twice a week? All of these are fat soluble and will build up in her system and can cause health issues. @kinyonga...what do you think?

My vet has never seen another chameleon or operated on one so I was not comfortable sending her in for spaying surgery. I'm only doing what my vet said to do with the supplements, should I change it?

My vet has never seen another chameleon or operated on one so I was not comfortable sending her in for spaying surgery. I'm only doing what my vet said to do with the supplements, should I change it?
Ohhh...ok. Honestly I can’t tell you what to do as I don’t know enough about reproductive problems. Although not a vet, @kinyonga is very experienced and I trust her advice. It may help for you to answer the following questions (cut & paste). I don’t know if just making correct husbandry changes would suffice to help your lady. I would think so, but don’t want to give bad advice.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom