Anyone know an easy way to keep automister water warm?

Quantum Mark

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone know of an easy way to keep automister water warm. I saw threads like this one where people have made awesome DIY methods, but I'm rubbish with electrical stuff and wouldn't know where to start.

Does anyone know of a more accessible way to keep water warm? Maybe a recommended product available in the stores?

Cheers,

Mark

That system Beeze built is really the best option I've seen so far.

People also like to use inline fish tank heaters like this But their effectiveness is negligible. I've never used one for this application but I can say that how these heaters work, they are not meant to heat large volumes of cold water as it passes through the heater. The would work fine for short misting sessions but once it's cooled by the water it's effectiveness will diminish greatly. These heaters are designed ti heat a body of water incrementally eventually reheating water it has already warmed up. Also to use them for this application you have to turn it on manually or with a timer a few minutes before the mister turns on. If for some odd reason your lines are dry when you turn it on you risk burning it up.

You can also just put a quality fish tank heater in the reservoir. These setups have issues getting the water hot enough, especially if there is no lid on the reservoir. And it helps even more if you insulate the reservoir somehow. Another down side is they waste electricity constantly keeping the water warm. Also you risk a fire if the reservoir goes empty. Good quality heaters will shut off if they become dry but cheap ones that advertise this ability often fail to shut down. Even with the best heater on the market this risk of failure is always a possibility.

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm, sounds like a tricky one.

Believe me, I would love to build one like in the thread linked in the OP, but my lack of electrical knowledge may well translate into a dangerous combination of ignorance, electricity and water.

The inline heater may be worth a shot. I can get a seperate timer and have it turn on the heater 5 minutes before the automister. Brandon have you used one of the Hydor units? If so, how does the water come out?

Any other suggestions welcome. I'm really keen on getting my little guy some warm mistings!

Cheers,

Brandon have you used one of the Hydor units? If so, how does the water come out?

I haven't bought one yet, but in the link in my previous post Dave Weldon provided some data on water temperature variations with water flow rate and he got approximately a 90F outlet temp when flowing at 1/4pint/minute.

Back
Top Bottom