any chameleon owners in los ageles?

What kind of chameleon is this? how old?

there are a lot of answers, but they all revolve around the species being kept.

to get a general idea of what to do when keeping chams, check out Brad Ramsey's site: Link

It got to 120 in Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) once and it often is well over 100 degrees in the summer.

Protect chameleons from extreme temperatures and always provide them with a drip and misting system.

Actually, without having more details from the OP, it's hard to help him out. Too many things can be taken out of context.

There is a group that meets in Santa Monica every month called SBCK (Southbay Chameleon Keepers) so if you really want to network and connect with other chameleon keepers around you Rocket89, then try to go to the next meeting. It's held on the last Tuesday of the month. They will have a booth at the San Diego Reptile Show on June 26th and 27th as well. Be sure to stop by and meet Dave Weldon.

Yes. I live in San Diego, I'm aware of the weather in the area. However, 120 degrees is an extreme, not a normal occurrence. When it happens, all members of the household get emergency treatment...that's not what the original posts were about.

what is the temp. you guy keep the chameleon under L.A heat?
s the temperature of my room will affect the temperature of the cage?

So....ummmm....I can't really say what I think about that.

But, "under LA heat" makes it sound like LA is normally sizzling hot...it's not. For the majority of chameleons it's probably very comfortable 99.9% of the time...it's like,yeah, occasionally it's really hot in Florida, but really?? Do people in Florida post about difficulties dealing with the heat????

As the Chameleon of choice on this board is either Veiled or Panther, the occasional day at 100 degrees should not be a problem. For those of us with Fischer's and Jackson's, yes, we need to be conscious of the ambient temps and reduce our "heat" appropriately.

The temperature is usually 80 degrees during the day like i said earlier and drops to 60-70 degrees at night. If you want your chameleon to stay at a perfect temperature keep a heat lamp on its cage and keep the other areas cool so that if it gets too hot it can go and hide in it's plant then come back up when it wants to bask again. Always make sure you keep the dripper, dripping on the cool parts of the cage. If you do not want to buy a dripper then just poke a hole in a cup and fill the cup up. Make sure that the water drips at about a drop a second. This should help, if it doesn't then post more questions that you have.

Yes. I live in San Diego, I'm aware of the weather in the area. However, 120 degrees is an extreme, not a normal occurrence. When it happens, all members of the household get emergency treatment...that's not what the original posts were about.

So....ummmm....I can't really say what I think about that.

But, "under LA heat" makes it sound like LA is normally sizzling hot...it's not. For the majority of chameleons it's probably very comfortable 99.9% of the time...it's like,yeah, occasionally it's really hot in Florida, but really?? Do people in Florida post about difficulties dealing with the heat????

As the Chameleon of choice on this board is either Veiled or Panther, the occasional day at 100 degrees should not be a problem. For those of us with Fischer's and Jackson's, yes, we need to be conscious of the ambient temps and reduce our "heat" appropriately.

Yes, you live in SD... a much cooler and moderate weather climate compared to the LA Valley. It gets damn hot in the Valley, and has consecutive days of hot weather. I don't live there, but i've been to Elisa's and felt the heat, it sucks. I wouldn't discount her cham keeping, temp watching experiences. I would also enciourage anyone experiencing an ambient temp higher than 80-85 to turn on the AC for their animal. If you can't cool the room, lower the basking lamp wattage, mist a lot and bring the temps down as low as you can at night. on hot days I run my fans ALL night on high to get the inside temp as low as I can. Then during the day i'll run the AC if it's projected to be higher than 85.

I live in Brea.... it gets warm here, and is normally warm for a few days at a time. These are called 'heat waves' we ALL get them. Sure... veileds can handle warm temps. but young veileds shouldn't be subjected to them. Panthers can take 'warm' temps... but I wouldn't keep them in really high temps if i didn't need to.

Just because animals 'can' take high temps... doesn't mean you should push them to. Remember this.. if it gets hot, mist. it's the easiest way to keep the animals 'cool' and keeps them hydrated.

What kind of chameleon is this? how old?

there are a lot of answers, but they all revolve around the species being kept.

to get a general idea of what to do when keeping chams, check out Brad Ramsey's site: Link

well im thinking about getting a juvenile veiled chameleon.

Thanks Kevin. I probably came off curt or something.

Yes, you live in SD... a much cooler and moderate weather climate compared to the LA Valley. It gets damn hot in the Valley, and has consecutive days of hot weather. I don't live there, but i've been to Elisa's and felt the heat, it sucks. I wouldn't discount her cham keeping, temp watching experiences. I would also enciourage anyone experiencing an ambient temp higher than 80-85 to turn on the AC for their animal. If you can't cool the room, lower the basking lamp wattage, mist a lot and bring the temps down as low as you can at night. on hot days I run my fans ALL night on high to get the inside temp as low as I can. Then during the day i'll run the AC if it's projected to be higher than 85.

I live in Brea.... it gets warm here, and is normally warm for a few days at a time. These are called 'heat waves' we ALL get them. Sure... veileds can handle warm temps. but young veileds shouldn't be subjected to them. Panthers can take 'warm' temps... but I wouldn't keep them in really high temps if i didn't need to.

Just because animals 'can' take high temps... doesn't mean you should push them to. Remember this.. if it gets hot, mist. it's the easiest way to keep the animals 'cool' and keeps them hydrated.

Love that last paragraph!

The problem is, it's sooooo easy to misinterpret words. That's why it would be really good if he can attend a meeting and meet some other keepers in the area and maybe get to visit some of them to see how they set up their chameleons.

Yes, you live in SD... a much cooler and moderate weather climate compared to the LA Valley. It gets damn hot in the Valley, and has consecutive days of hot weather. I don't live there, but i've been to Elisa's and felt the heat, it sucks. I wouldn't discount her cham keeping, temp watching experiences.

Umm.. I don't think I discounted Elisa's experiences...I suspect I don't credit the original posters as highly as she seems to. I think they don't understand that if the room is 85 degrees you don't need a heat lamp on the cage. They still somehow imagine that the lower realms of the cage will be 70 degrees....

San Diego county has the same range of temps as Los Angeles county I live east of the 15 so do not have the uber cool experience you might be imagining.

And, note, that all I said was that in LA it should not be a huge problem, not like Tuscon where it can be 110+ for much of the summer. I stand by that.

Keeping a chameleon in Southern California is so much easier than keeping a chameleon in say....England, or Las Vegas. Will you sometimes have to turn off the heat lamp? Yes. Might you have to close the blinds in the morning to keep the house from heating up? Yes. Might you even need to consider a portable air conditioner if you own a species that is bred for lower temps? Yes. Is any of that hard? No.

The main point of my post was that yes...ambient temperature affects the cage. There seemed to be some theory that even though it was hot outside, the cage temps would be just exactly as they were when it was cool outside. I sort of hoped to dispel that idea.

The main point of my post was that yes...ambient temperature affects the cage. There seemed to be some theory that even though it was hot outside, the cage temps would be just exactly as they were when it was cool outside. I sort of hoped to dispel that idea.

I have never heard of this theory.

I think most people realize that a cage is as warm as the air in the room around the cage.

Then you missed the stupidity that provoked my post...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/any-chameleon-owners-los-ageles-42331/#post394349

is the temperature of my room will affect the temperature of the cage?

I admit...there's room to interpret as the post is not in anything resembling proper English...but I took that as an inability to understand that the cage temp was directly related to the temperature of the room....

Obviously, with such a post there are an almost infinite number of possible interpretations. That was mine. Possibly as the parent of a 15 year old, I'm more likely to assume a complete lack of basic common sense.

ummmm maybe i never owned a chameleon before, this is why i am in this forum to ask a couple of question about a chameleon o_O it could be common sense to you but i'm just learning about these animals..so yea thxz for helping out dude

Then you missed the stupidity that provoked my post...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/any-chameleon-owners-los-ageles-42331/#post394349

I admit...there's room to interpret as the post is not in anything resembling proper English...but I took that as an inability to understand that the cage temp was directly related to the temperature of the room....

Obviously, with such a post there are an almost infinite number of possible interpretations. That was mine. Possibly as the parent of a 15 year old, I'm more likely to assume a complete lack of basic common sense.

I see what your saying.... but maybe we need to put more confidence in people and children?

ummmm maybe i never owned a chameleon before, this is why i am in this forum to ask a couple of question about a chameleon o_O it could be common sense to you but i'm just learning about these animals..so yea thxz for helping out dude

You being here asking questions is a big deal (no joke). Most people just buy the chameleon and THEN think 'shoot I don't know anything....' and start asking questions. Most of the time people don't find this forum until the animal is sick and sometimes too sick to save. You are ahead of the curve. Feel free to ask questions.

Kudos to you for searching out local keepers and info! As Elisa said, there is a local group that meets up each month. The meetings are normally in Santa Monica. Keep your eyes on the 'lizard lounge' forum for threads on the up coming meetings. You'll find newer and several experienced keepers at these meetings. If you wish to find more info asap, contact Dave Weldon. Dave's user name on the forum is his name... so search that name and you'll find threads about the meetings and can PM him from an older thread or look him up in the members directory.

...The meetings are normally in Santa Monica. Keep your eyes on the 'lizard lounge' forum for threads on the up coming meetings. You'll find newer and several experienced keepers at these meetings. If you wish to find more info asap, contact Dave Weldon. Dave's user name on the forum is his name... so search that name and you'll find threads about the meetings and can PM him from an older thread or look him up in the members directory.
Howdy Rocket89,

As Summoner12 mentioned, there will be a mtg invite posted next weekend sometime and it will likely announce that the meeting will be held on the evening of the 29th of this month :). Younger, non-drivers, come to the meetings with a parent in tow (and vice-versa) which works-out great for all. There are usually several members (free membership!) who breed and sell chameleons, so if you are interested in getting one, this might be a good place and time to start chatting with them.

What part of LA are you located?

Howdy Rocket89,

As Summoner12 mentioned, there will be a mtg invite posted next weekend sometime and it will likely announce that the meeting will be held on the evening of the 29th of this month :). Younger, non-drivers, come to the meetings with a parent in tow (and vice-versa) which works-out great for all. There are usually several members (free membership!) who breed and sell chameleons, so if you are interested in getting one, this might be a good place and time to start chatting with them.

What part of LA are you located?

im located in 90018. which is near Addams and Arlington. the big street that is known and near my house will be crenshaw.

You being here asking questions is a big deal (no joke). Most people just buy the chameleon and THEN think 'shoot I don't know anything....' and start asking questions. Most of the time people don't find this forum until the animal is sick and sometimes too sick to save. You are ahead of the curve. Feel free to ask questions.

Kudos to you for searching out local keepers and info! As Elisa said, there is a local group that meets up each month. The meetings are normally in Santa Monica. Keep your eyes on the 'lizard lounge' forum for threads on the up coming meetings. You'll find newer and several experienced keepers at these meetings. If you wish to find more info asap, contact Dave Weldon. Dave's user name on the forum is his name... so search that name and you'll find threads about the meetings and can PM him from an older thread or look him up in the members directory.

yea i don't wanna buy a chameleon and next thing i notices is that its dieing on me. these animals are way to cool for me to do such a thing. this is why i want to give them the proper care for it.

Back
Top Bottom