Bjorn is done with his hunger strike

I am a relatively new chameleon owner (around 6 months) and my little guy just ended a hunger strike from anything other than super worms. So my advice to any new chameleon owners is to be careful with super worms
My adult Cham went on a 19 day hunger strike after feeding him superworms. Never again will I feed superworms. He has gone on strike for grasshoppers. Now I'm comfortable with hunger strikes and don't worry as much.

I saw a video (don't remember the name of the person that made it) that superworms can be addictive to chameleons, and not to feed very often. I had to get my chameleon them one time when my feeders were delayed and he didn't eat many other feeders, not one has he ate crickets after that.

My adult Cham went on a 19 day hunger strike after feeding him superworms. Never again will I feed superworms. He has gone on strike for grasshoppers. Now I'm comfortable with hunger strikes and don't worry as much.
It was nerve racking. We’re still going to do a doctors appointment to make sure everything is ok

I’m so glad mine does not like super worms 😂
Carmelo's addition to superworms started because he was taking Batril for Giardia (a parasite). I gave him superworms to ensure he ate something prior to me administering his medication. MISTAKE! He was soooo addicted. He ate pothos and money tree leaves which allowed him to extend his hunger strike 19 days. He is a picky eater. He only eats grasshoppers and hornworms. Last month he ate a few silkworms but he quickly returned to refusing everything but grasshoppers and hornworms. I waste a ton of money on feeders because I offer him a variety knowing he is not going to eat other feeders. He no longer eats superworms. He refuses to eat them.

Carmelo's addition to superworms started because he was taking Batril for Giardia (a parasite). I gave him superworms to ensure he ate something prior to me administering his medication. MISTAKE! He was soooo addicted. He ate pothos and money tree leaves which allowed him to extend his hunger strike 19 days. He is a picky eater. He only eats grasshoppers and hornworms. Last month he ate a few silkworms but he quickly returned to refusing everything but grasshoppers and hornworms. I waste a ton of money on feeders because I offer him a variety knowing he is not going to eat other feeders. He no longer eats superworms. He refuses to eat them.
Our picky babies 😂

Back
Top Bottom