Hunger strike!

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So much for a diet. We are in day 19 of a self-imposed hunger strike and day 25 of a shed. How long can this last? What about calcium/ D3. How long can chams go without calcium and D3 supplements? He is eating 1 hornworm every 3 days. All the silkworms I received died. He did not eat a single one. I put 2 fresh feeders in his feeder daily. I end up throwing them away. Ive offered silkworms, crickits, fruit flies, and Dubia. Any advice?

So much for a diet. We are in day 19 of a self-imposed hunger strike and day 25 of a shed. How long can this last? What about calcium/ D3. How long can chams go without calcium and D3 supplements? He is eating 1 hornworm every 3 days. All the silkworms I received died. He did not eat a single one. I put 2 fresh feeders in his feeder daily. I end up throwing them away. Ive offered silkworms, crickits, fruit flies, and Dubia. Any advice?
For me grasshoppers always end a hunger strike . But generally, when the temperature is a colder, they eat less. .

Can you post a couple of photos please.
He ended his hunger strike right after I asked for advice. He ate 2 crickets - just out of no where, he went to the feeder. Watched the crickets (dusted w/reptivite D3) for a few1 minutes then 1-2 gone. I gave him superworms (I never buy supers but i could not find crickets) in January. I think he became addicted. During this time, he started a shed and was taking Baytril. Carmelo's personality changed. He has been at the Grumpest Hour for 24 hours all 19 days. Yesterday, he started shedding on his his front legs.
20230210_194339.jpg
l
20230211_104800.jpg

For me grasshoppers always end a hunger strike . But generally, when the temperature is a colder, they eat less. .
Where can I order grasshoppers? His feeders are just crickets and hornworms. I've tried dubia(I like them- they live a long time), bsfl, silkworms, flightless fruit flies - all are a no for Carmelo. I searched for snails but did not find them.

Where can I order grasshoppers? His feeders are just crickets and hornworms. I've tried dubia(I like them- they live a long time), bsfl, silkworms, flightless fruit flies - all are a no for Carmelo. I searched for snails but did not find them.
They love them . They’re not cheap, but they work every time for me. When I get an order, they Gobble them up so fast. You can find him on Facebook or Instagram his name is Khai Phan very trustworthy guy

Attachments

• A19DBB49-0BCB-4944-A0EF-656482427EEE.png
    A19DBB49-0BCB-4944-A0EF-656482427EEE.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 52
When in doubt I either go with a big mantis or hatch some bottle flies to buzz around in there. Both seem to really trigger something in my picky chams or ones that are in an eating funk. Not even my big adult males can pass up flies as a treat.

When in doubt I either go with a big mantis or hatch some bottle flies to buzz around in there. Both seem to really trigger something in my picky chams or ones that are in an eating funk. Not even my big adult males can pass up flies as a treat.
My hunch was always that it's because these are much more natural diurnal/arboreal prey, just like the response with grasshoppers. The shapes and movement are evolutionarily ingrained as target prey. Makes sense that they would often reject nocturnal and burrowing insects like roaches and almost every other common feeder in the current market, that are a completely unnatural food source.

Back
Top Bottom