Another trip to the vet (#5 now ?)

RescueMom

Avid Member
An update on the freakout, the cut feet and the RI.

Waldo saw the vet again yesterday. She had changed his medication on Monday to baytril after the episodes last Saturday that were apparently caused by the other antibiotic.

At his follow up appt, the "ropey saliva" was gone and she didn't hear any more wheezing, so yayyyyyyyy! That's one good thing ?

The bad news was that when he went tearing through his cage when he had the "episodes", he apparently tore the tissue adhesive on his back right foot and opened that cut bad enough that she had to put a stitch in it ? Now he's really miserable but still trying to maneuver around, which makes me a nervous wreck ?

In addition, he had two more small cuts on his front left foot that she put tissue adhesive on. So now that's 3 out of 4 feet that he's torn with no real explanation.

He did start eating again last Monday, but only Hornworms which amount to 0.0 in the weight gain department. 102g is to thin ?

Attachments

• 20200926_065256.jpg
    20200926_065256.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200926_065403.jpg
    20200926_065403.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 44
Is he in a "sick tank" or his normal cage? Hate to say it but he may need to be placed in a 10-20 gallon fish tank(or rubermade tote if its all enough) till the feet heal up. Set him up like a beardie with a few large smooth stones and a "non loop stitch" towel or carpet. We always have a sick tank, last time it was a cockatiel with plenty of news paper to tear up and poop on, because it was not allowed to pertch for 45 days.

Is he in a "sick tank" or his normal cage? Hate to say it but he may need to be placed in a 10-20 gallon fish tank(or rubermade tote if its all enough) till the feet heal up. Set him up like a beardie with a few large smooth stones and a "non loop stitch" towel or carpet. We always have a sick tank, last time it was a cockatiel with plenty of news paper to tear up and poop on, because it was not allowed to pertch for 45 days.
I'm not sure who's slower, me or him, but that would have been a really good thing to do YESTERDAY.

Considering I didn't know he was going to come home with a stitch in his foot though, I plead not guilty of stupidity by reason of stress and ignorance ?
Plus since the vet put tissue adhesive over it I thought the stitch would be safe.

I DID add a bend-a-branch (the soft feeling kind) that goes all around the top of his enclosure because it's obviously better on his feet than his real branches.

With that being said though I noticed this morning that he's torn the stitch loose ? the wound is still closed but the suture has come untied. I called the vet and of course she wasn't working this today, but she's working the emergency clinic at 6:30 tonight. I sent pictures to her technician and she forwarded them to the vet. Her tech said it doesn't look bad since it's just untied, I'll find out later if she wants to fix it tonight or if she thinks it can wait until Monday.

So for now, I'm trying to think of what I have that I can rig up for him so that he won't hurt himself any more ?

This guy! It's like 1 step forward and 10 steps back ?

Back
Top Bottom