Another opinion on eye issue please?

I think it's all three. I think you have a good point though, I'll find another vet.

I see no fault in the advice that vet has given you so far. He/she knew enouh to recommend Vitamin A, which puts them ahead of 90% of the vets out there. If there is one component of all such situations that I disagree with, its forum rats that always want to ridicule you if you "don't see the vet". That's a judgement call, different for all of us, and based on many factars.

From what you have said, I think the current vet is on the ball. And I also would not spend more money to see him/her unless things do not improve. I believe your actions prudent.

I see no fault in the advice that vet has given you so far. He/she knew enouh to recommend Vitamin A, which puts them ahead of 90% of the vets out there. If there is one component of all such situations that I disagree with, its forum rats that always want to ridicule you if you "don't see the vet". That's a judgement call, different for all of us, and based on many factars.

From what you have said, I think the current vet is on the ball. And I also would not spend more money to see him/her unless things do not improve. I believe your actions prudent.

The vet seems to know his medications and reptiles, I think he just doesn't have much experience with chameleons in specific. That may be okay though, I guess it depends on the situation.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, as a new owner that means a lot. :)

Forum Rats??? Any opportunity to sling mud, eh Jim.....

Yeah Jim what's up with the Forum Rat thing??? Lol! :p:p:p:p

LOL ..... I think that I typed it with hardly a thought. Looks like one entity took it a bit too harshly.

It was intended only as the figure of speech it has become in the virtual world, and was meant to put perspective on some of the advice, and pressures, folks can feel when bringing certain issues to forums. The OP had acknowledged some concern relating to criticism if there was a decision to not immediately return to a vet. I was only encouraging more discretion, which I believe the OP was showing.

Vets are expensive, and many are not very good with chameleons. As some very basic and simple advice, if anyone goes to a vet with an eye issue, and the vet does not ask about Vitamin A regimen, possible A deficiency, etc., then the vet does not know enough to assess the issue. Not suggesting that the vet is incompetent, or does not mean well, but many just do not have the experience necessary with chameleons. The vet in question here did know about it, and that would be very encouraging from any vet.

There was no intent to "sling" anything, and it is unfortunate that one took it as such.

Good luck.

There was no intent to "sling" anything, and it is unfortunate that one took it as such.

Whether there was intent or no intent , more than one took it as such........ Unfortunate that one expressed it as such.

Whether there was intent or no intent , more than one took it as such........ Unfortunate that one expressed it as such.

Actually, they used smiley faces, which I believe is a far different characterization. You could have taken me to task on what I meant using that phrase, or criticized it, etc. You chose to insult.

Kind of disappointing.

I just woke up Julien with a saliene rinse, and his Baytril. When he's done being mad at me, I'll give him a worm with a bit of vitamin A on it. His eye looked a little crusty this morning, like there was a film over the lens again. It seems much better after the rinse. :)

As for the "rat" comment, I assumed he was speaking of the sort of mentality that searches for reasons to criticize others. I have seen some do exactly as described without even reading the entire situation. For some reason, there is a sort of "road rage" phenomena when people get behind their computer screens, ifyouknowwhatimean.

Now be nice everyone, or no cookie for you.

Actually, they used smiley faces, which I believe is a far different characterization. You could have taken me to task on what I meant using that phrase, or criticized it, etc. You chose to insult.

Kind of disappointing.

I guess you forgot to add your smiley face when you started this condescension...

I just woke up Julien with a saliene rinse, and his Baytril. When he's done being mad at me, I'll give him a worm with a bit of vitamin A on it. His eye looked a little crusty this morning, like there was a film over the lens again. It seems much better after the rinse. :)

As for the "rat" comment, I assumed he was speaking of the sort of mentality that searches for reasons to criticize others. I have seen some do exactly as described without even reading the entire situation. For some reason, there is a sort of "road rage" phenomena when people get behind their computer screens, ifyouknowwhatimean.

Now be nice everyone, or no cookie for you.

I am not sure what dose of vitamin A your chameleon is getting, but I would recommend something approximate to 200 iu's daily, for 5-7 days. This will not overdose the animal by any means. It is a dose rate with a long track record of success.

If the film continues to reform for longer than those 5-7 days, then while the Vitamin A may be helping, there is a problem there that it is not addressing. Whether you try the terramycin, or go back to the vet and possibly get some gentmycin (sp?), will be your call. The daily eye rinse, and freeing the eye of that cap, will help to slow the progress of an infection, but damage will continue until get the right match.

Good luck with your chameleon. Do consider another visit to the vet or another vet with more chameleon experience if things dont improve soon. Even those who feel themselves experts on this forum are disadvantaged by not actually being able to see the animal. An experienced vet should be able to provide the best advice.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I am dabbing a bit of oil from an 8000IU vitamin A caplet onto a bug daily. Today will be day three of this method, and I gave a measured 80IUs twice last week.

At this point I feel that it's safe to try to rule out vitamin A deficiency as the cause, so I will keep with the vitamin A for a week or so. If his eye gets worse at all during that time, or if it lasts longer than a week, I will take him in to the vet.

I may try the other exotic vet in the area, just to compare. No harm in shopping around, right?

Eye film update

Hi All,

It has been a long time since I posted this, but I just thought it might be helpful to let others know what my experience was. Whe JJ showed symptoms, his eye had a greyish cloudy film over it.

I rinsed with a jet of saliene daily, sometimes twice daily. I followed that with turtle drops, just one drop in the affected eye. I also used a dab of vitamin a on a cricket once a day. After a few days, there was a big improvement, and it cleared up in a few more days.

Just FYI of what worked for me, if anyone is having any cloudy eye issues. I noticed my female blinking a lot the other day and decided to do a round of vitamin A for both chameleons as a precaution.

Attached is a picture of my happy healthy JJ, trying to sleep while I bug him with a camera.

Attachments

• sleepy 001.jpg
    sleepy 001.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom