Anoles as food!?

Chameleons are strict insectivores.

I think I would say that chams, like many predators, are opportunistic. They CAN eat other organisms but the point is should they. Larger species can prey on small birds (reports of melleri and parsoni eating nestlings, sunbirds, or hummingbirds) and probably very small mammals it the opportunity happens to come along.

However, with all the cultivated insect feeder options available there really isn't any advantage to do this. If someone insists on feeding one an anole it should be de-parasitized and on a good diet beforehand. And, there's no way to predict if a cbb cham raised on insects would even try for it.

even an adult chameleon wouldnt be able to swallow an anole. Chams swallow their food whole pretty much. I have heard someone say they fed their cham pinky mice. But there is no point in feeding him things like that. I wouldn't try it..

even an adult chameleon wouldnt be able to swallow an anole. Chams swallow their food whole pretty much. I have heard someone say they fed their cham pinky mice. But there is no point in feeding him things like that. I wouldn't try it..

I would be careful with that prediction. There a YouTube video of a chameleon eating an anole, it had no trouble at all, also their is a Jackson that eats rats not pinkies RATS full grown... Like mentioned above if the opportunity arises a hungry chameleon can take on large prey.

either way why would you want to. theres no legit reason to feed a chameleon an anole. that's my point.

either way why would you want to. theres no legit reason to feed a chameleon an anole. that's my point.

Agree 100% but the matter of fact is. They can and will eat large prey. Just don't want wrongful information spread around that's all!

I would be careful with that prediction. There a YouTube video of a chameleon eating an anole, it had no trouble at all, also their is a Jackson that eats rats not pinkies RATS full grown... Like mentioned above if the opportunity arises a hungry chameleon can take on large prey.

That's a bit of a stretch. There is no way a Jackson can eat full grown rat. A chameleon just cannot eat something that is larger than it is. Perhaps you have it backwards--the rats ate the Jacksons, which they would in a heart beat.

That's a bit of a stretch. There is no way a Jackson can eat full grown rat. A chameleon just cannot eat something that is larger than it is. Perhaps you have it backwards--the rats ate the Jacksons, which they would in a heart beat.

Don't get me wrong it was not a monstrous rat. It was a brown rat. About 3-4 inches long. And the chameleon devoured it, the Chams body was close to a foot in length... Anoles are some of the smaller lizards I've seen people feed to their chameleons. I'm not saying you should, but saying that they are incapable is just utterly wrong.

I think I would say that chams, like many predators, are opportunistic. They CAN eat other organisms but the point is should they. Larger species can prey on small birds (reports of melleri and parsoni eating nestlings, sunbirds, or hummingbirds) and probably very small mammals it the opportunity happens to come along.

However, with all the cultivated insect feeder options available there really isn't any advantage to do this. If someone insists on feeding one an anole it should be de-parasitized and on a good diet beforehand. And, there's no way to predict if a cbb cham raised on insects would even try for it.

Thank for answering , good stuff !, i gave my veil and medium size anole he went for it super fast however i wont do it again i did it because he wont eat crickets or hornworms & he seems to like wax worms and superworms ill keep mixing up his diet see what he likes and hopefully he will start eating crickets again!

Don't get me wrong it was not a monstrous rat. It was a brown rat. About 3-4 inches long. And the chameleon devoured it, the Chams body was close to a foot in length... Anoles are some of the smaller lizards I've seen people feed to their chameleons. I'm not saying you should, but saying that they are incapable is just utterly wrong.

And i agree i think they are more than capable of eating large prey an anole for a juvenile or adult chameleon is nothing!

Her is what you said in your original post, "also their is a Jackson that eats rats not pinkies RATS full grown..."

Full grown rats are not 3 to 4 inches long; they are much, much bigger. A 3 to 4 inch rat is a very young rat.

No Jackson has a body length of nearly a foot long. You must be confusing it with something like a Parsons or other very large chameleon.

Her is what you said in your original post, "also their is a Jackson that eats rats not pinkies RATS full grown..."

Full grown rats are not 3 to 4 inches long; they are much, much bigger. A 3 to 4 inch rat is a very young rat.

No Jackson has a body length of nearly a foot long. You must be confusing it with something like a Parsons or other very large chameleon.

Ive seen a Jackson chameleons body reach 13 inches, at my local reptile store, Prehistoric Pets, they have quite a few larger then a foot. The one that ate the rat (that appeared to be fully grown.) was only about 11 inches. If a small/medium sized chameleon at a mere 4-7 inches could eat a pinky... You can only imagine what a big hungry male can do.

A foot long Jackson is huge lol

But there is a video out there of a full grown adult veiled that ate what I would say appeared to be about a 6-8 month veiled.. They can and will eat large items..

Don't recommend it though

Back
Top Bottom