Anole Rescue!

Glad to hear the greens are doing well where you are. The browns are really taking over here. How can you tell the difference between green and brown eggs?

I can’t. It’s just probability, Brown Anoles are not common in Louisiana yet, but they definitely do have an established breeding population. For every 100 Greens I see, I might see one Brown. I think it’s partly due to the shear volume of water down here, everything is separated by miles of swamp. I think they prefer dryer environments.

The Brown or Cuban Anole is definitely invasive. My 6yo son and I caught dozens a few weeks ago with a lizard noose while on vacation in Florida. I let him keep one. They love crickets and flies. My understanding is that they are out-competing our native Green anoles. The Browns have their work cut out for them because the Greens are absolutely prolific here.

My son was “helping” me in my wood shop this weekend and he found 18 green anole eggs in some cypress. So of course with everything he sees me do with my chams he begged to hatch them. I let him do everything and unfortunately he did break one with his tweezers, the little Green was nearly fully developed. Should be hatching very soon!
View attachment 239814View attachment 239815View attachment 239816
Off topic but your son is adorable lol

I’ve purchased feeder brown anoles and let them stay in my chameleons cage...until he gets hungry enough. One lasted for about a year, but eventually, he was consumed. I think it’s good to introduce a little extra protein once in awhile. That said, I still have my reservations about feeding wild caught anything. But I live in an agricultural area that has regular pesticide/fertilizer treatments.

I wouldn't voluntarily feed anything wild. If I can keep the risk of parasites low, I will. I do believe in feeding my veiled a little extra protein once or twice per month though. I've been feeding my cham a pinky mouse once every month or two for the last year and haven't run into any issues. My cham did grab a small hummingbird one time when I had him outside on his tree. I was stunned when I turned my head to see feathers and a wing sticking out of his mouth... Now, I am more aware when I bring him out for sun. I also built an out door enclosure to keep other animals away from him... for their safety of course.

The problem with this statement, and I tried to explain this to him, when he told me this same speel (long before this post, however we were discussing WC Vieileds in Florida)

For 1, it's not completely correct, as far as plankton as he says maybe. However things like Rat Lungworm, found in land snail's can and will infect Chams, and Humans alike.

The second issue, is more area specific. This may have some truth if you live in the Midwest, like Brody. However WC veilied in Florida, and Jackson's in Hawaii have been introduced with Parasites in their system.

Parasites don't stay in them, they leave through their fecal ect. Which is then walked through/eaten by bugs, which then transfer the disease. Remeber Bemans thread the other day? Coccidia can live for years in soil, without a host.

Is the Coccidia native to FL? No, but it doesn't have to be, as it was introduced when people brought wild vieleds who then escaped their free range farms.
I have to agree with this. ^^
Let me add one more point. Yes, many parasites are species specific but all that means it they need a specific host or sometimes a secondary host as well to complete their life cycle and reproduce. There are many cases of parasites infecting an accidental host. Dog and cat roundworms can cause visceral larval migrans in humans. People who eat sushi can get an intestinal parasite that was meant for a sea creature. The parasite can't reproduce but it can cause a variety of problems for the accidental host. I don't think this kind of accidental parasitism is really common but it is a risk you should consider when you feed will insects. I'm not saying don't but be aware and let your vet know you do so should problems arise.
In the case of anole there are several bacterial diseases that are zoonotic meaning they can be passed to people and other species. Salmonella and campylobacter top the list. It's always a good idea to wash your hands.

Back
Top Bottom