anole in oklahoma

colton tollett

i found a green anole walking in my yard and i live in oklahoma. i'm not sure but i don't think anoles are supposed to live in oklahoma.

Since my husband and I moved to ND we'd never seen anoles for sale at a pet store. We're originally from Texas and saw them EVERYWHERE, from our walls to the dark spots in our cars. I'm not sure there is somewhere they're -not- suppose to be?

Last edited:
I found one once running around outside in Ithaca, NY.
They escape sometimes and people occaisionally let them loose.

just like jacksons, anoles have found a environment to flourish here in hawaii...but they are a feral species.

OPI:D

hey i'm in oklahoma,tulsa area to be specific. we have a green anole,but it was bought at a pet store. we have never seen one out running freely.

just like jacksons, anoles have found a environment to flourish here in hawaii...but they are a feral species.

OPI:D

Speaking of which... it came up recently about what species might share an enclosure with chameleons...

I had read a book by some herpetologist who was suggesting that the right enclosure could just as well house chameleons and anoles of compatible size, because the anoles would stay on the ground and the chameleons would stay in the branches, but they could have compatible environmental requirements. It sounded like he had done this... I'm gonna find the passage, and see if i can track him down, ask him for more specifics.

Hard for me to imagine my Jackson's eating full grown stick insects... one day... with a larger enclosure... I might be tempted to try that... maybe even large mantids (for a little while)... let the chams eat the young'ns.

Speaking of which... it came up recently about what species might share an enclosure with chameleons...

I had read a book by some herpetologist who was suggesting that the right enclosure could just as well house chameleons and anoles of compatible size, because the anoles would stay on the ground and the chameleons would stay in the branches, but they could have compatible environmental requirements. It sounded like he had done this... I'm gonna find the passage, and see if i can track him down, ask him for more specifics.

Hard for me to imagine my Jackson's eating full grown stick insects... one day... with a larger enclosure... I might be tempted to try that... maybe even large mantids (for a little while)... let the chams eat the young'ns.

*Anoles are arboreal.
*Anoles are chameleon food.

Just a couple of problems I can think of.

-Brad

those two problems would cancel themselves out, then... hehehe

I do not think that he meant green anoles. Anoles come in different sizes, just like chameleons. And they aren't arboreal the way that chameleons are.

But, yeah, you can buy 'feeder' anoles and geckos... seeing as how, apparently, one of my chams ate a baby bearded dragon the other weekend...
I'll try to see if this guy is still around... I am sure that he had better resources than I have...

I do not think that he meant green anoles. Anoles come in different sizes, just like chameleons. And they aren't arboreal the way that chameleons are.

you are either arboreal or not, your first post you said they'd stay on the ground, now you are saying they are arboreal, but maybe they just stay like on the bottom branches or something, no they climb walls, trees, can climb upside down, they are arboreal.

any lizard in a cham cage is going to be a stress factor, i have put green anoles in with my chams to observe and they don't like it, its disruptive to watch some crazy lizard try to escape for 8 hours

you are either arboreal or not, your first post you said they'd stay on the ground, now you are saying they are arboreal, but maybe they just stay like on the bottom branches or something, no they climb walls, trees, can climb upside down, they are arboreal.

any lizard in a cham cage is going to be a stress factor, i have put green anoles in with my chams to observe and they don't like it, its disruptive to watch some crazy lizard try to escape for 8 hours

Simply put, obviously, you are correct - I do not disagree, and did not mean to suggest otherwise. At least, for most enclosures, most chameleons, and most anoles.

It would be silly for me to argue this without knowing exactly what sort of setup this fellow had. Somebody reported that there were anoles in Hawaii now, apparently co-existing with chameleons. Anoles and chameleons DO thrive in similar environments, and I had heard of ONE person keeping them in the same environment. I do not know which species of which he had, or what size enclosure. I do recall that he mentioned that the anoles tended to reside at lower levels than the chameleons, so I guess that it was pretty big space. The fellow was an academic, and for all I know, it could have been a very large display such as zoos and museums are capable of affording.

But, perhaps he wasn't as successful as he thought. Perhaps the animals divided up the space due to stress. This was not a recent account.

You said that you had anoles in with the chams for a bit. I guess it was the anoles trying to escape. Most species of chameleon would probably consider green anoles to be prey. Especially young ones.

There was another thread here recently where somebody was asking if it were possible to house any sort of animal with chameleons. For a few days, last week, I thought that it looked like my stick insects would foot the bill, in my personal case. But the chameleons finally decided to eat them. (I wonder if they would attempt full-grown stick insects, though - until recently I did not think that they would try to go after anything over three inches. I have Jacksons.)

Last edited:
a lot of full grown chameleons in captivity may not recognize an anole as prey immediately unless it is a subadult anole, and those aren't exactly easy to come by, this time of year however is when they hatch and i have been seeing tons of baby anoles, geckos, and skinks in the wild aka my garden

At least one supplier sells feeder anoles 10/$40. I assume these are babies. I mean to try him out...

What kinds of skinks do you have over there?

oooo oooo today when i was playing with the chams outside(and a few days ago too)

i caught a glimpse of bright green movement in the bushes

i have been seeing a lot of green anoles around lately since i have been working on the landscaping and irrigation around my home

and i found freshly hatched green anoles on my umbrella tree that were eating ants and gnats, these things are SOOOOOOOOOOOO fast i tried to catch one because my panther was dying to eat it he was in the top corner of his cage with his eyes glued on these green anoles, it was pretty awesome to see.

I think reproduction is the coooolest thing ever, how awesome are babies

Back
Top Bottom