Am I seeing the start of receptive colors šŸ«¢

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just as the title states, am I seeing the start of receptive colors or just weird patterns on Nachitos sides? (Yes she is shedding). I could also just be paranoid and itā€™s just light outlines of her angry colors
B98698F1-245F-483D-AC93-0C7D1855E4F8.jpeg
E67672F6-5825-4F9E-8537-8679DB89117C.jpeg

Thanks for the support. After looking through some old photos, I think (not 100% sure) the colors/shapes could have been angry/annoyed mode. Iā€™ll keep an eye on it to see if she gains any fancy patterns in the next few days.

Hereā€™s an image of her a while back with what looks like to be similar shapes.
EDIT: Or it could have been shedding colors.. as she is shedding in this photos as well XD
074DC70D-3654-42C9-BFEA-D93AC8268B40.jpeg

Hey guys! I know I posted about this before (seen above) with some curiosity about receptive colors.
How I am a little disappointed to say that Iā€™m almost 100% sure Nachito has some receptive colors coming in.

Those past photos I posted are what I believe are her shedding colors.
But today I was giving her her medication is I saw these new markings.
IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

Sheā€™s got some pretty prominent blue spotting starting along her back. This would also explain her very active movements yesterday. On her cam it showed her kind of circling and pacing her cage for about two hours.
So I think she was looking for a boyfriend šŸ˜”

She has a lay bin set up for her when ever she needs it, and a pot next to it that she might also be interested in.
If anyone is curious about her current husbandry I would be willing to go over it.

Iā€™d say it was a good run of not going receptive. Sheā€™s just over an estimated two years of age without getting her big girl colors.

Last edited:
Sounds like the typical behavior but donā€™t fret, sometimes they can reabsorb the eggs/follicles. I believe my girl did for the first time this year, she has been receptive but laid no eggs and went back to her normal weight. If you can weigh her I would start so you have a baseline since she is probably receptive. Also, stick to your normal feeding routine/quantity. You have done so well with her that if she does lay eggs I have faith she will do well. šŸ˜Š

Sounds like the typical behavior but donā€™t fret, sometimes they can reabsorb the eggs/follicles. I believe my girl did for the first time this year, she has been receptive but laid no eggs and went back to her normal weight. If you can weigh her I would start so you have a baseline since she is probably receptive. Also, stick to your normal feeding routine/quantity. You have done so well with her that if she does lay eggs I have faith she will do well. šŸ˜Š
thanks! I actually recently bought a scale to weight her with! It was kind of impulse buy but Iā€™m glad I did it. Also Iā€™ve ordered a new camera to put in her lower part of the cage.
Awwā€¦šŸ„² Nachito has her colors.šŸ’—
I know! Itā€™s kind of bittersweet šŸ˜…

She definitely looks receptive and could also explain the weight gain as well. Hopefully it will end up the same way as last time. Still when they know their thing itā€˜s also a beautiful thing to witness and always makes me proud of them. Fingers crossed šŸ¤žšŸ»

Last edited:
I do have a few questions about where to go from here.
1. How long does it take for the colors to fully come in
2. How long does it take for eggs to form
3. Any advice on what I should do about her leg? Itā€™s stilled swollen and I was debating on going to the vet again next week.
4. Just any advice in general would be amazing
5. Oh and often do you weigh your chameleons

Last edited:
1. How long does it take for the colors to fully come in the first time it took longer I belief it was 4 till 6 weeks. Afterwards they keep the blue spots, but less prominent. And once bright again and becoming restless, 4 weeks later she slowly starts with laying.
2. How long does it take for eggs to form around 4 weeks, at least with my girl
3. Any advice on what I should do about her leg? Itā€™s stilled swollen and I was debating on going to the vet again next week. Personally I would stress her too much in this phase. But thatā€™s just a feeling.
4. Just any advice in general would be amazing Donā€™t to cover up the lower part of the enclosure for privacy. And so now and then an extra snack with calcium canā€™t harm. So sheā€™s good at strength. And keep calm, Mother Nature knows what to do, as long we keep the conditions optimized.
5. Oh and often do you weigh your chameleons. I would do weekly, to keep good track.

Thank you! Iā€™ve been giving her medication from the vet every other day, do you guys think I should continue with that?

So hereā€™s her current date when basking. She seems to have here ā€œdefensive colors onā€ so that makes my a little confused.
IMG_1585.jpeg

Though @MissSkittles i think you once posted photos of one of ur girls who had receptive colors similar to their defensive ones?

Back
Top Bottom