Altitude???

ChameleonClem

Established Member
does change in altitude effect chameleons?
Obviously theyre going to encounter it during shipping but better safe than sorry (y)
And itll be a pretty durastic change. Im currently at 980 ish and i plan on moving to wyoming where its for example its 6,062 in cheyenne, or in casper its 5,118.
Its an 18 hour drive no stopping from here to this side of the state. Im going to try to "ship" my chameleon like you would in the mail.
(Itll be a vieled chameleon) i know waiting would be the best option but id hate to have to wait 1-2 years for that when im going to have to move animals either way. :confused:

Some of the montane species live over 2km high on the mountains so I doubt it.

Why not get the cham after you move so you have more experience with em for the next time you move...?

Also, and this is not meant as an attack, if you have to move regularly you have to realize chameleons are just not right for you at this this time in your life.
To purchase one anyways will be a selfish act and not in the best interest of your future pet. Every time you move them is a risk and introduces large dosis of stress which can lead to all kinds of health issues (indirectly).

Also, and this is not meant as an attack, if you have to move regularly you have to realize chameleons are just not right for you at this this time in your life.
To purchase one anyways will be a selfish act and not in the best interest of your future pet. Every time you move them is a risk and introduces large dosis of stress which can lead to all kinds of health issues (indirectly).

I dont move often, in fact the last time i moved was 2002 lol. But i think youre right, ill just wait.

I live at 3300 ft which is still decently high up. My biggest issue so far is dealing with lack of humidity during winter. But the summers here are perfect for outdoor chameleon time.

I wouldn't worry about moving. If you're driving, I would drive him with you and not ship him. Humidity will be your biggest issue.
I dont want to ship it :p i just thought it might be easier on it to pack it that way. Theres also the ishue of how long can they stay in things like that. Its an 18 hour drive no stopping to this side of the state

does change in altitude effect chameleons?
Obviously theyre going to encounter it during shipping but better safe than sorry (y)
And itll be a pretty durastic change. Im currently at 980 ish and i plan on moving to wyoming where its for example its 6,062 in cheyenne, or in casper its 5,118.
Its an 18 hour drive no stopping from here to this side of the state. Im going to try to "ship" my chameleon like you would in the mail.
(Itll be a vieled chameleon) i know waiting would be the best option but id hate to have to wait 1-2 years for that when im going to have to move animals either way. :confused:
Not that I've noticed. I used to live at 9200 ft in the Rockies and had rescued several chams arriving from all over the west. Didn't notice anything (but if they had headaches they didn't bother to let me know :LOL:).

I dont want to ship it :p i just thought it might be easier on it to pack it that way. Theres also the ishue of how long can they stay in things like that. Its an 18 hour drive no stopping to this side of the state

You are worried about 18 hours? That's NOTHING. My wild caughts are left hanging in a bag for 6 days or more before they are unboxed at the importers. They went into that bag a physical mess, too. I have lost almost no wild caughts anywhere near import.

Eighteen hours is nothing. Pack him in a little tote maybe the size of a shoe box. Attach a stick--not very big and with natural bark on it--at an angle. Drill a few holes near the bottom (so he doesn't rub his face on the rough hole edges if they are near the top). Add some damp paper towels and give him a couple of sprays with a mister. Then put everything in a dark bag or cardboard box and keep him in the dark. I would hydrate him very well before boxing him up. If you get really worried about his hydration level, I might pack a few hornworms to feed the second day. If the box if kept very humid he won't lose much hydration. Don't worry about him getting too cold (down to maybe 50F)--worry about him being too hot.

Not that I've noticed. I used to live at 9200 ft in the Rockies and had rescued several chams arriving from all over the west. Didn't notice anything (but if they had headaches they didn't bother to let me know :LOL:).
Lol good deal (y) i wasnt too worried but better safe than sorry :D

You are worried about 18 hours? That's NOTHING. My wild caughts are left hanging in a bag for 6 days or more before they are unboxed at the importers. They went into that bag a physical mess, too. I have lost almost no wild caughts anywhere near import.

Eighteen hours is nothing. Pack him in a little tote maybe the size of a shoe box. Attach a stick--not very big and with natural bark on it--at an angle. Drill a few holes near the bottom (so he doesn't rub his face on the rough hole edges if they are near the top). Add some damp paper towels and give him a couple of sprays with a mister. Then put everything in a dark bag or cardboard box and keep him in the dark. I would hydrate him very well before boxing him up. If you get really worried about his hydration level, I might pack a few hornworms to feed the second day. If the box if kept very humid he won't lose much hydration. Don't worry about him getting too cold (down to maybe 50F)--worry about him being too hot.
Thanks so much for your imput, this is super helpful! Ive been wanting to get one but id hate to wait 2 yrs (till i move) to get one. One person thought it was selfish to get one now and then move. o_O We wont be stopping the night unless someone is dieing because we have large animals as well lol. :p So its not like its goijg to be in there for days.
Ill definitely be saving these instructions. I figure theyre in shipping sometimes for that long or longer. Agreed, its not good for them but what are you gonna do. :D

Calyptratus are a pretty tough species. They can take both hot and cold temps., just so long as the temp. change isn't too quick. I don't think you'll have any problems moving.

Carlton, I thought you were a chameleon whisperer!

:unsure:(y)
Calyptratus are a pretty tough species. They can take both hot and cold temps., just so long as the temp. change isn't too quick. I don't think you'll have any problems moving.

I figured they must be since theyre the beginner cham species but :p and i dont think ill have any durastic temp changes itll be in the car with us and our other small pets the whole time. (y) Do you think itll be fine without a heat pack then? It def wont get down to 40 f (thats what i hear is the lowest they can handle)

:unsure:(y)
I figured they must be since theyre the beginner cham species but :p and i dont think ill have any durastic temp changes itll be in the car with us and our other small pets the whole time. (y) Do you think itll be fine without a heat pack then? It def wont get down to 40 f (thats what i hear is the lowest they can handle)
No, I wouldn't use a heat pack. I think putting him in a dark box so he sleeps all the way is great advice. Just make sure the box is never in the sun so it stays dark and cool. Over heating would be a bigger concern.

No, I wouldn't use a heat pack. I think putting him in a dark box so he sleeps all the way is great advice. Just make sure the box is never in the sun so it stays dark and cool. Over heating would be a bigger concern.
Ill definitely make sure. I can always pute one my thermometers woth a probe in there. Cant imagine it would get too bad but :p. Should i worry about him getting air or? They dont seem to worry about it in the mail so lol. Ill prob use a mail box or a smaller box with a blanket over it.

I don't think chams would care whether I was or not. They may simply choose not to admit anything.

I agree. I live in a ski town in CO, Steamboat Springs, where the elevation is between 7,000-10,000 feet. We have also moved 3 times (he’s lived in 4 different places within Steamboat that wasn’t in the plan) since I got I got Fred as a hatchling and was shipped at the end of January. He is about 1 & 1/2 years old now.

This guy is unbelievably resilient and I also take him for a walk every day with my dog during the summer when it’s over 70 degrees and he seems eager to go with us. The natural UVB rays are better at higher altitude. Fred let me hold him for a 7-hour drive once and looked out the window the whole time. Don’t worry. I wasn’t driving. Lol don’t attack me. I’m also a zoologist and a cham ‘helicopter mom,’ always going by Fred’s cues. Of course everything depends on the individual and I think it might be a bonus to get your cham years ahead of time, if you can plan that… This way your cham will be familiar with you? Luckily I am Fred’s favorite moving tree!

Don’t stress more than your cham.

Back
Top Bottom