Alternative Aquariums

I took some photos of the recently opened retail store that I work for. The store is called Alternative Aquariums. The name, Mission, and reason for the company is all thanks to other stores in the area, primarily PetSmart. In early 2007 Petsmart acquired almost all of the assets belonging to SuperPet (A more popular Canadian owned and operated pet store chain with over a dozen and a half retail locations nationwide.) As everyone knows Petsmart is the largest retail chain in the pet industry, with nearly 1000 stores and expanding, and a focus on pet foods and supplies. While Superpet was still a chain, stores were run somewhat independently, and the managers of different departments from store to store had some freedom to put focus on different products, animals, etc. For this reason, even with nearly 20 stores, SuperPet retained somewhat of a smaller customer based store that could cater to long term customers requests. In mid to late 2007 changes had begun to remove all that was SuperPet and install the unified look of Petsmart into their newly acquired retail locations. Then begun the "re-education" of the staff to PetSmart standards.

And so, from the utter destruction of a great Canadian Petstore chain, spawned the privately owned, funded, and operated store in Burlington ON, called Alternative Aquariums. All the employees and owners of AA were bought by Petsmart during the acquisition, and all were appalled by the changes made. All of us have worked for at least 3 Pet companies, have have put as much effort into creating a better store based on our experiences with the pasts ones. It was time for a new option for local aquarists, and so while we all are disappointed by the sale of Superpet, we have the change to thank for the new company.

SuperPet, thanks for the times. John Jules et al, thanks for selling out. BigAl's, thanks for the competition.
Petsmart, thanks for being the uptight ever-growing chain, that lacks obvious sense and basic fundamentals of customer care relationship.
Doug and Wendy Mortimer, Thankyou for a great alternative.

dsc6114hn3.jpg
dsc6116rk0.jpg

dsc6097kr8.jpg
dsc6098wf8.jpg

Cool looking store! Best of luck to you!

It always amazed me that Petsmart could come into a town, drive the mom and pop shopws out of business by selling everything for $1 cheaper, but those prices always went up as soon as the competition went away.

I just love seeing stuff like this. There are a few personally owned pet shops around here. I dont care how much more something is I always buy from them. I know there are some shaddy stores out there but in my case I know the pets are well taken care of and that I will be treated with respect. I got my first cham from the one near my house. They really pushed I learn about the jacksons cham and to set my cage up before I get him. Thanks to those guys I wasnt one of the miss informed people who saddly watches there cham die.

Beautiful looking store also. Congrats to them.

Cool looking store! Best of luck to you!

It always amazed me that Petsmart could come into a town, drive the mom and pop shopws out of business by selling everything for $1 cheaper, but those prices always went up as soon as the competition went away.
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Rather than come to town and run the other businesses out, Petsmart compeletly bought out an entire line of SuperPet petstores, which was even more of a shock to the local market than a slow eventual push out. This left only a handfull of stores to compete with Petsmart, and a huge headache for people who needed certain dog and cat food brands that Petsmart would not carry.
I just love seeing stuff like this. There are a few personally owned pet shops around here. I dont care how much more something is I always buy from them. I know there are some shaddy stores out there but in my case I know the pets are well taken care of and that I will be treated with respect. I got my first cham from the one near my house. They really pushed I learn about the jacksons cham and to set my cage up before I get him. Thanks to those guys I wasnt one of the miss informed people who saddly watches there cham die.
Beautiful looking store also. Congrats to them.
Again, unfortunately we are not quite as blessed with a developed market as in the US. Because nearly all Pet Products come from American companies, this means that they become more expensive when sold in Canada. More often than not, because of the high prices of products in Canada many people feel that they need to acquire items at the best possible pricing in order to keep on caring for them. There are some dedicated people who will focus more on supporting independent shops, but even with them, trying to survive alongside of such a vast, established company as PetSmart is no easy or simple feat.

Very cool Will... The BEST of luck to you...

Thanks Chad. It's an upward struggle for the store, and it seems that every step forward has been proceeded with two steps back.

Last edited:
Positive thinking

Looks great Will, I live in the town just east of yours and hope to drop by soon. Maybe even talk chams if your game!
Stephen

That store looks NICE!

I keep discus, used to breed. So I am picky with what stores I go to. I would love to have a store like that in my area:rolleyes:. I do order products from bigals though.

Hope you guys do well, Ive only seen 1 aquarium store where the care was up to my standard. Looks like you guys may be another.

Thank you Kevin. We take great pride in having a clean store and healthy livestock. While algae has never hurt a fish directly per se, we take care to ensure that every morning each tank is scrubbed. It's a tedious affair to put it lightly, especially in the marine aquariums, but it seems to please any visitors in the store.

The main system tanks are run on seperate 75 gallon sump units, with anywhere from 200-230 gallons per sump. The tanks are approximately 20, 55 or 75 gallons. A minimum of one 30% waterchange per tank with a gravel sift is done per week.

dodolah, thank you. Hope we keep it that way.

While, I'm at work now and I suppose there is algae calling and hungry fish to be fed. Thank you for everyones support. I'm proud to have any part in this endevor.

I was not aware of that. It is nice to see someone is dealling with the headache that is involved to provide nice well taken care of pets in your area. This is what I would think seperates companies for profit from caring human beings that love animals and bringin joy to someone else. If I lived near you would have to kick me out every night hahaha. Again very nice store and best of luck. Oh yeah my fav fish of all time is the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. I dont know if you can get or deal with them but they have great color and personality.

Back
Top Bottom