Aloha from Maui!!

spuds

Aloha!!! All you cham lovers. I live in Hawaii on the island of Maui. I've been raising chams off and on for 15 yrs. Right now I have 3 jacks, 2 ladies and 1 fella. I used to live "upcountry" where the jacks roam free. We lived in a 2 story house. The 2nd floor patio was at tree level, right in the jacks domain. That was a blast... totally cool! However, I live in Kahului now . No forest here so no wild jacks, just a concrete jungle. Well, by Maui standards. My friends think I'm a nut (coco that is) because of the money and time I spend trying to provide a good home. Heck I love the little rascals and I'm the one that took them out of the wild. I owe it to them to try my darndest to keep them happy. I look foward to reading everyones experiences and learning more about these awesome lizards. Good luck and happy herpin!

Last edited:
No, not yet. I checked another spot across the street from where I got the first pics. They were sportin the black too. Some of them were almost half black, but other than that seemed fine.
Someone suggested either a herbicide or an insecticide caused it. It would have made sense with the first location since it was in a park. But the ones across the street are in a pasture. The big difference from the time I took the first pictrues and now is that the area is starting to dry up and the trees have less leaves. Spotting the jacks was a breeze. They looked like big green Christmas ornaments. Kula's pretty high up and I'm starting to think that with less protection from the sun the U.V rays may be a contriubiting factor. I have no idea. Oh yeah, another suggestion I heard was insect bites.
I checked some other locations up in Kula. Some places had the same problem, most didn't. I also went and checked other locations across the island and none were like that. The pet store here were selling some with the black spots. Next time I go, I'll ask where they came from.
I have pics from the first outing in my gallery if anyone wants to see.

Thanks for the update. We would love to see more photos and hear more as you learn whats happening. Have there been any differences in the ages seen with the black spots.

I would love to share more pics but I have a crappy digi cam. The batts die so fast. When I get a better one I'll post more.
As for the ages. I don't really know. The only indicator I can go by are their size and color. They have all been green phase and at least 5.5".

I was in the pet shop today to see if the silk worms were in and I was looking in the cage with 12 jacksons crammed into it and noticed the black spots on some and a couple of the females looked half black. The first time I seen it I just figured it was the stress from being in there with so many others but now Im curious too so Ill be watching for it in the wild. Ill try to catch some pics when I find them.

I was in the pet shop today to see if the silk worms were in and I was looking in the cage with 12 jacksons crammed into it and noticed the black spots on some and a couple of the females looked half black. The first time I seen it I just figured it was the stress from being in there with so many others but now Im curious too so Ill be watching for it in the wild. Ill try to catch some pics when I find them.

You went to the shop on ward didnt you? It kills me going to that one, They always have about 10-15 of em all in the cage, usually about 10 males, 3-4 females - yeah, they are perma black stressed out mode, its quite sad. Yes, i have allready talked to the owners about it as well, they dont care (lack of knowledge about housing - more chams, more $$ to them)

I think Puka was talking about the store here on Maui.
Do the Jacks on Oahu have the same black spots? I have a couple pics in my gallery.
I just hate it when they cram them in there. There's another place that has even smaller enclosures then the place Puka is talking about and they got jacks of all sizes in theirs'.
Ryan, The one good thing about the place you mentioned is that they sometimes have C.B jacks. This lady up in Kula has her own stock that she breeds and sells to them. It's the same lady that sells the silkworms to them.

Do the Jacks on Oahu have the same black spots? I have a couple pics in my gallery.
I just hate it when they cram them in there. There's another place that has even smaller enclosures then the place Puka is talking about and they got jacks of all sizes in theirs'.
Ryan, The one good thing about the place you mentioned is that they sometimes have C.B jacks. This lady up in Kula has her own stock that she breeds and sells to them. It's the same lady that sells the silkworms to them.

My female didnt have any black spots, however the male i picked up a few months ago has a black tail- however, not as severe looking as the pics in the gallery there - ill take some of the little fella to share later, i dont want to wake em up right now... ssshhhhh!!!!

How often do they get silkworms in, I have never seen any.

Not on any consistent basis. I usually just ask. Sometimes the lady has die backs or low hatch rates. Talk to Karen or Tina, they usually know what's goin on with the lady.
I just got a Bug Napper. Haven't had much luck though. I only caught 3 moths so far. Blue loved e'm

Im sending the gf in to buy some crickets so Ill have her ask about the silkworms. I was kind of suprised today. I was driving past the McDonalds in Waiehu and saw a big fat Jackson's walking across the road so I turned my flashers on and helped him across. Ive never seen any down there, I couldnt belived it when I saw him.

by sack&save? That is low. We seen a couple of smash ones after the bridge and near the park in the wailuku industrial area. Maybe their livin down there too. I know mountain side from Iao to Kaanapali has jacks. I drag my GF maybe once a month to go looking at the different poplations. She's a trooper. Now if she would only feed them. LOL

Back
Top Bottom