Aloha from Big Island

konafunk

Wanted to say hi to all the fellow chameleon lovers on here, I have a little story for you.
I live in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. We have a massive Jackson's Chameleon population. There are so many, I can go out on the hills of Holualoa and walk down the street and pull them out of the bushes, bring them to my yard, and I have chameleons in the yard. Not trying to make anyone jealous or anything, it's just reality, and it's amazing!
So I found a female a couple weeks ago, and she was really really fat. I am pretty sure she is pregnant. Babies are being born around here, because someone just gave me a baby chameleon last week. I converted a bird cage into a chameleon cage, because I wanted to keep this one in captivity to see if she was going to have babies or not. Well, on the Big Island, we also have a large mongoose population, and they are nasty little critters. I have lots of them that live in my area. I had the the chameleon cage out in my garden, which is fenced off so feral cats don't crap in it, but the mongoose can still squeeze through the fencing.
When I got home from work today, I saw a mongoose around the chameleon cage, and when I ran over there, it was too late. The mongoose had gotten a hold of my chameleon, because the chameleon liked to crawl around the bars of the cage, and ripped two of it's legs off and part of it's jaw. The lower part of the chameleons jaw is hanging there, with it's teeth and tongue exposed.
I tried to do a little reconstructive surgery to help it, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do, i'm so pissed.
I'm hoping it makes it through this, but it's not looking good. It's definitely still alive, but not sure it's going to make it more than a couple days. Does anyone have any suggestions??

thanks for your time...
aloha,
/sherman

I would say you need to have the Cham put to sleep. Even if it could survive what kind of life could it have?

We are going to Hawaii this Summer and can't wait to go hike and find some of them Jackson's and capture them with my camera. It is going to be great.

So you moved the chameleon from where it was safe, into an area with mongooses, and put it in a cage it could not get out of, but the mongoos could get into.

I hope you learned something from this.

I find it hard to believe the chameleon is missing two arms, and part of its face and is still alive. If it is, please crush it asap...

So you moved the chameleon from where it was safe, into an area with mongooses, and put it in a cage it could not get out of, but the mongoos could get into.

I find it hard to believe the chameleon is missing two arms, and part of its face and is still alive. If it is, please crush it asap...

and its pregnat D':!!!!!

Takes a lot to come in here and be honest with us. I appreciate that! As said above, if the poor guy is suffering then help him out.

Think he is no different from any of us in a lot of ways. He is drawn to an amazing animal. Please while coming here spend some time and research about these amazing creatures and if you decide to get another one come up with a better plan to protect our little friends.

you're a lucky man to have these wild in your area, thanks for stopping and I hope to see you learn more :)

I agree totally. If this is a real post plz put that cham down immediately and stop the suffering. Theres no way she could recover.

If your going to keep chams in captivity you need a solid wire and wood cage with spacing small enough to keep the cats and mongoose out. Galvanized wire for the outter screen and then cover that on the inside with a smooth screen or plastic coated screen to keep the chams feet from being cut by the galvanized screen. That should be sturdy enough to keep out any critters that hunt at nite in your yard.

Mongoose are everywhere in Hawaii and could have done that anywhere on the island.. :roll eyes:

Have the Cham put to sleep, lesson learned I suppose.

Takes a lot to come in here and be honest with us. I appreciate that! As said above, if the poor guy is suffering then help him out.

Think he is no different from any of us in a lot of ways. He is drawn to an amazing animal. Please while coming here spend some time and research about these amazing creatures and if you decide to get another one come up with a better plan to protect our little friends.

you're a lucky man to have these wild in your area, thanks for stopping and I hope to see you learn more :)

Yes sometimes we have to learn about things the hard way.

This is so very sad and I highly suggest that you do find a way to have this cham euthanized. It is doubtful that is is going to survive.. if by chance it would somehow survive it would most likely have infection and be in need of veterinary care. With injuries like this it would never have a quality to its life.

Back
Top Bottom