Allergic to crickets?

aleagueofherown

Established Member
Helloooo wonderful cham fam.

So, I've run into a bit of a problem. I think I may be allergic to crickets...

I noticed that when I freshen the gutload or maintenance my crickets in their keeper, I get little hives on my forearm or my hands. I don't mind taking an OTC antihistamine, but I was curious if anyone else has run into this? I have seen the threads on Dubia allergies - my partner is unfortunately allergic (he used to work in a reptile store in high school and the allergy was noted then). I don't experience any respiratory symptoms from the crickets, but the hives are annoying.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an insect that is relatively easy to keep, that is not crickets or dubias? I may just wear a long sleeve shirt and gloves next time I clean.

Thanks!
Liv

im allergic to my chameleons haha, i would just wear gloves next time and wash your hands really well after. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@JoXie411 isn't your husband allergic to crickets?
Yeah my husband is allergic to the point that it closes his air way if he breaths in the smell. I moved mine to an more open space so the smell isn’t so noticeable, keep them on vermiculite seems to also minimize the smell, having a clean up crew, and the Ghana seem to smell less so my hubby isn’t about to repost me for attempt to murder anymore lol

I did switch to silkworms for a few months to help him recover and I would only buy the amount of crickets I needed to feed the same day I got them. Got expensive to maintain but once I stopped keeping the crickets in our room it seemed to help him.

I would just advise wearing a mask and gloves when you handle the crickets is you want to continue keeping them. If you don’t mind me asking do you have a shellfish allergy? Not you @jamest0o0 but @aleagueofherown about the shellfish allergy lol

im allergic to my chameleons haha, i would just wear gloves next time and wash your hands really well after. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I do wear gloves, and I do wash my hands. I'm really careful because after undergoing chemo a few years ago, my skin became really sensitive. Thanks for the reminder!

Yeah my husband is allergic to the point that it closes his air way if he breaths in the smell. I moved mine to an more open space so the smell isn’t so noticeable, keep them on vermiculite seems to also minimize the smell, having a clean up crew, and the Ghana seem to smell less so my hubby isn’t about to repost me for attempt to murder anymore lol

I did switch to silkworms for a few months to help him recover and I would only buy the amount of crickets I needed to feed the same day I got them. Got expensive to maintain but once I stopped keeping the crickets in our room it seemed to help him.

I would just advise wearing a mask and gloves when you handle the crickets is you want to continue keeping them. If you don’t mind me asking do you have a shellfish allergy? Not you @jamest0o0 but @aleagueofherown about the shellfish allergy lol
At least I know I'm not the only one! They actually don't smell at all to me, but maybe it's because I don't keep very many and I'm really persistent about cleaning and refreshing their keeper. I do not have a diagnosed shellfish allergy. I am able to eat scallops, shrimp, clams, mussels, and oysters with no issue. The only time I have difficulty is with lobster and even then, it is just minor GI upset.

Where do you get your Ghana? I currently use a mix of play sand and coco fiber but I will consider switching to vermiculite!

Thanks for all of your help 🥰

I do wear gloves, and I do wash my hands. I'm really careful because after undergoing chemo a few years ago, my skin became really sensitive. Thanks for the reminder!

At least I know I'm not the only one! They actually don't smell at all to me, but maybe it's because I don't keep very many and I'm really persistent about cleaning and refreshing their keeper. I do not have a diagnosed shellfish allergy. I am able to eat scallops, shrimp, clams, mussels, and oysters with no issue. The only time I have difficulty is with lobster and even then, it is just minor GI upset.

Where do you get your Ghana? I currently use a mix of play sand and coco fiber but I will consider switching to vermiculite!

Thanks for all of your help 🥰
My husband is only allergic to shrimp that’s why I asked. There has been a link to shellfish sensitive and crickets since they both belong to the Arthropod family.

This is the site I order from, far warning shipping is expensive but I’m my opinion it’s so worth it. Other places I orders from in the past lots of cricket would show up dead but with this vender I haven’t had any DOAS yet and my last order got stuck in a snow storm with all arriving alive
https://www.ghann.com/mobile/

Back
Top Bottom