Advice

caoilinnf13

So I might be getting a chameleon after quarantine and I was just wondering if I could have some advice/tips and tricks. And yes I have researched everything, I've made two 8 page essays on chameleon care. Anything will help!

Can you tell us how you’ll be keeping him? Enclosure size, lighting, feeders, gutloading, supplements, etc?
Sure!
Cage: Mesh, 16 x 16 x 30
Lighting: Circle Basking light, Linear uvb
Feeders: Crickets, Mealworms, and hornworms as treats.
Gut loading: Fruits, Cricket quencers, And cricket orange cubes
Supplements: D3, Calcium, and Vitamins

Here is my advice and I mean this sincerely, once you get this Chameleon it's quality of life is totally in your hands. You need to be sure that you are providing the right kind of supplements and nutrients, proper lighting, an enclosure that provides the best possible cover from top to bottom. You will be constantly learning and making changes and there can be a significant dollar investment in this so be sure that you want to make this commitment. Too many people watch movies like Tangled and Rango and think that they're these cute cuddly animated creatures and they want to cuddle and play with them all the time. They are not this kind of pet. They are mostly for visible enjoyment (there are those exceptions of course.) If you're going to do this buy everything now including the proper size enclosure(so you don't have to purchase another one later) and get everything setup properly so that way it can be ready once you introduce your new chameleon to his new environment. I hope this doesn't come off sounding harsh because that is not my intention. Anyway, once you get your Cham enjoy. It is a lot of fun.

Here is my advice and I mean this sincerely, once you get this Chameleon it's quality of life is totally in your hands. You need to be sure that you are providing the right kind of supplements and nutrients, proper lighting, an enclosure that provides the best possible cover from top to bottom. You will be constantly learning and making changes and there can be a significant dollar investment in this so be sure that you want to make this commitment. Too many people watch movies like Tangled and Rango and think that they're these cute cuddly animated creatures and they want to cuddle and play with them all the time. They are not this kind of pet. They are mostly for visible enjoyment (there are those exceptions of course.) If you're going to do this buy everything now including the proper size enclosure(so you don't have to purchase another one later) and get everything setup properly so that way it can be ready once you introduce your new chameleon to his new environment. I hope this doesn't come off sounding harsh because that is not my intention. Anyway, once you get your Cham enjoy. It is a lot of fun.
Okay! Thank you! And I do not intend on snuggling with my cham haha. And it didn't sound harsh at all!

Sure!
Cage: Mesh, 16 x 16 x 30
Lighting: Circle Basking light, Linear uvb
Feeders: Crickets, Mealworms, and hornworms as treats.
Gut loading: Fruits, Cricket quencers, And cricket orange cubes
Supplements: D3, Calcium, and Vitamins
Youll wanna ditch the mealworms, they aren't very nutritious and they have a high chitin content. And regarding gut loading here's a pic showing goodies to gut load with.
39DB9DE7-EB8E-4C6A-9303-074A78F0E864.jpeg

Minimum size enclosure for an adult cham is 2x2x4’ or equivalent. Uvb light needs to be a T5HO with a 5.0 (or Arcadia 6%) bulb that is long enough to span the width of your enclosure. Live plants are best...no fake. No substrate on the floor...bare is easiest to clean. I suggest Dragon Ledges to better help hand branches, plants and vines. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
Awesome resource to learn more is https://chameleonacademy.com/ I also suggest checking out the chameleon breeder podcasts. On YouTube, check out Neptune the Chameleon for more great learning. For feeders, this should help.
E6F7EC4D-BC5C-4239-B01B-8E2265C2933C.jpeg

If you haven't already, check out @Gingero's youtube channel. Lots of great information there - in addition to the links and info already shared on this thread.

Here's one for you to get started with:

Back
Top Bottom