Advice needed URGENTLY!!

nottscami

i have a 18 month old female veiled who is on her second gravid phase. The 1st time she only laid 10 eggs in her chamber then dropped the 5 more a couple days later, after having a calcium shot from the vet.

This time she laid 11 eggs in her chamber (that was 3 weeks ago) and has held on to the the rest. We have been backwards and forwards to vets to keep and eye on her she has had another calcium shot and i was given zolcal drops to bring home for her.

She still hasnt let go of the remaining eggs so today the vet has advised that she needs an operation tomorrow to have the eggs removed.

Heres my problem: she has had anesthetic on two previous occasions to have her tail amputated and the last time she struggled a bit under the anesthetic.

The vet has said we have 2 options
1. He opens her up removes the eggs and leaves it at that. The problem being she may retain again next time.

2. He opens her up removes the eggs and her ovaries which is a longer more complicated procedure and it will leave her infertile illiminating the chance of her having this problem again. But it also carries extra risk as it is a bigger operation.

So now i dont know what to do for the best, i dont want to lose her!!:(

Has the vet suggested or know about oxytocin? I've seen chams dosed with this and it will make the female expel the eggs with out the need of opening her. Ask him about this option, I am not a vet, but I once had a female with an issue similar to this and my vet gave her a shot of oxytocin and it worked. Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom