Adjusting to a new home

scruggyj

So I got my little guy yesterday. (Juvenile Veiled)

He looks good and healthy but he is very shy. He will let me hold him and does not hiss or show any aggression.

My question is that everytime I go to his cage he runs or hides. I understand that part but I have not got him to eat yet. It has been at least 2 days since he has eaten. I saw him drink some this morning. So, when should I start to worry if he has not eaten? 3 days, 4, 5???

Attachments

• 2010-11-30_21.04.02-1.jpg
    2010-11-30_21.04.02-1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 113
I tried to hand feed but he is still to scared of me. I will be cup feeding. I have a 100 gallon reptarium and it would be tough to free range feed. I cup fed my last one in there and he did fine.

yeah i would defininitely not try hand feeding yet. Give him a couple of weeks to settle in to his new surroundings and then try. No wonder why he is not eating, he is too scared right now!!! I would just go to the cup feeding and I am sure he will eat.

Thanks - I have 5 crickets in a cup and I showed where they were and he had no interest. He decided to call it a night - I just went to check on him and he went down toward the bottom of his plant where it is darker and is going to sleep. I cut out the lights and will try again tomorrow.

Yes, try tomorrow early in the morning i'd say about half an hour to an hour after lights go on after he has awoken and warmed up. I'm sure he'll eat after he sees lots of movement in the cup. :)

I't is recommended that once you get a chameleon in a new enclosure you should let them settle in atleast a week, so they have time to explore and feel safe.

As for hand feeding, try to hand feed something he doesn't usually get, like Horn (tomato) worms, silkworms, superworms, etc.

do not bother him. just leave the cup in there and let him explore the cage himself. hell find it. dont stare and wait and wait and wait cause hell just stay hiding. my guy is the same way so i just leave him. come back afew hours later and everything is gone.

Back
Top Bottom