Adding a carpet chameleon to collection

RobStac

Hey guys, so tomorrow I am picking up my first carpet chameleon, I have the cage fully setup and I want to make sure it all sounds good to you or if I need to fix something, so its 2.5 feet wide, 5 feet high, I have a large live fichus plant in the cage in the middle ( about 3 feet high ), I have a repti fogger that I plan on using on a timer every 3 hours for about 30 mins, lots of different angles sticks and wines in the cage, I have a uvb system ( not the coil but the long florescent tube style ), as well as two dome lights on each side, the temp under the basking light is about 89-90, and the other side light is a 60 watt blue reptile bulb and the temp under it is about 83-84, the bottom of the cage temp is 72, I have a reptile dripper system that slowly drips into the plant on all day, Since the cage is so big and the chameleon is pretty small right now I made a contraption that hangs from the top right by one of the main horizontal branches, its the bottom of a 2l pop bottle that I cut off so I could put crickets in that cant really get out so he has a chance to eat as he feels like it, And I have a handheld auto mister that I will spray twice a day all over the leaves on the plant.

How does this sound, any corrections I need to make ?

Sounds like a huge cage for a smaller species but that isn't a bad thing. Are you getting a young or adult?

Carl

I think you are going to find it is rather hard to make sure it is eating in such a large enclosure.

Do you know how old it is? We can get an idea of its size by its age.

Carl

My adult Carpet male is tiny! I have small hands and he struggles to hold on to my fingers with his little feet! He would get lost in a 5ft tall cage I think! He just sits in his basking spot all day anyhow! All he does is eat and bask! He is quite 'stressy' and has an attitude problem (small man syndrome) so he stays hidden at the back of his cage. He is the smallest cham I have had in almost 6years, and, having had 3 Veileds and a Jackson, the Carpet is the only one that has bitten me! He is quite insistant that I need to be eaten before I eat him! :rolleyes:

I think you are going to find it is rather hard to make sure it is eating in such a large enclosure.

Do you know how old it is? We can get an idea of its size by its age.

Carl

I made a contraption at the top branch, its a hanging bottom quarter of a 2l pop bottle that will hold the crickets in it so they cant get out, but he can get them

All 3 of my adult carpets has a 16x16x30 cage. All three cages sit next to each other, and I do not plan to ever move any of them to a larger cage. Your cage sounds wonderful, but way, way to large for a carpet.

Thanks Laurie that kinda what I was getting at. My CB lateralis thrive in cages the same size as yours. WC's are a lot more active until they settle in but 5' is still on the big side.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom