Accidentaly spoiled my chameleon

slamwise

This is more of an animal behavior question than a chameleon question.

OK, Frank (my cham), had a routine. He would bask in the morning, poop, and then get this burst of energy and want to get out of his cage. So I setup a rope jungle gym above me where he could burn off some steam. He loved it and it became difficult to get him off of it. Anyway, he recently started to poop on it (which then falls on my room)... So I decided to keep him in his cage for a little while.

Problem is, now he expects to be let out of the cage every day and pushes against the screen constantly (stressing himself out). I'm not sure how to get him back into his old routine! He won't stop pushing against the screen! Any advice?

Thanks.

Chams are creatures of habit and hate change. He doesn't understand why he can't get to the area he now regards as part of his territory. It may take a long time for him to get "used" to being in the cage again and he could injure himself in the mean time. Is there really a reason not to let him free range? I think I would let him out as before unless he is in danger.

Chams are creatures of habit and hate change. He doesn't understand why he can't get to the area he now regards as part of his territory. It may take a long time for him to get "used" to being in the cage again and he could injure himself in the mean time. Is there really a reason not to let him free range? I think I would let him out as before unless he is in danger.

I should have clarified:

The jungle gym is high up and the poop would fall down to my room. That's why it's a no-go.

Let the little guy out. Spoil him you want have him for long. Both mine free range and I just put down a newspaper to catch the poop. They poop in the same spot all the time. Could you imagine having to spend your life in a cage. These guys love their freedom and much happier when not caged.

Take down the jungle gym so he cannot see it. Cover most of the cage with sheets but leave him a window to see out maybe the other side of the room. He will get use to it. However, if you take him in and out he will never be okay. My panther had a phase like that. What I did was move his limb gym to another room. When I come home from work, he knows he gets to come out and chill and sleep on the limb gym in the other room. In the morning he goes back in the cage and gets misted and fed and he is okay with that.

Let the little guy out. Spoil him you want have him for long. Both mine free range and I just put down a newspaper to catch the poop. They poop in the same spot all the time. Could you imagine having to spend your life in a cage. These guys love their freedom and much happier when not caged.

I agree with your sentiment, unfortunately all of my belongings exist in one room (I rent with roommates), so I don't have enough space to line the floor with newspaper :(

Also, I'm not home all day... so the cycle of pushing his head against the screen would probably just continue.

Thanks for the advice though, I don't mean to shoot down your suggestions.

I agree with your sentiment, unfortunately all of my belongings exist in one room (I rent with roommates), so I don't have enough space to line the floor with newspaper :(

Also, I'm not home all day... so the cycle of pushing his head against the screen would probably just continue.

Thanks for the advice though, I don't mean to shoot down your suggestions.

Probably not if you cover it so he does have anything to lust after

Take down the jungle gym so he cannot see it. Cover most of the cage with sheets but leave him a window to see out maybe the other side of the room. He will get use to it. However, if you take him in and out he will never be okay. My panther had a phase like that. What I did was move his limb gym to another room. When I come home from work, he knows he gets to come out and chill and sleep on the limb gym in the other room. In the morning he goes back in the cage and gets misted and fed and he is okay with that.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that I should only keep a chameleon if I have a spare room to do so :-/

Do you guys agree?

Maybe I should have gone with a pymgy cham...

I agree, I think he needs a big plant that he can safely hang around in when you are home, and get him into a routine of being tucked safely away when you are not home.

I know both my jackson's have gotten depressed since they lost their free range -- brought in a chesapeak rescue and he is notto be trusted yet so they rarely get out and but when they do it is certainly a treat and it shows in their color.

Back
Top Bottom