A room maybe i thought i could keep a cham in...

pfal26

This is the room I do my homework (sometimes i talk to my tutor in here), play video games in too. The noise isnt very loud in here ever, i dont play video games with loud volume... however i do spend a good amount of time in here. I won't be surrounding the cage 24/7... Here are some pictures of the room

Below is the spot i plan on setting up a cage... (gonna clear off the top and move the gecko to another room) From the shelf to ceiling is about 5 feet exactly, i measured it.

Picture1.jpg

Below is a picture of my desk, it is approx. 9 feet (a little more) away from where I want to put the cham to my desk.

Picture2.jpg

This is where the TV is where I play video games, almost 10 feet from the chair i sit and play in and a like 6 feet 1 inch away from the TV.

Picture3.jpg

Below is a picture of the bathroom from where my cham will go, about 18.5 feet from where the cham will go into the bathroom and probably like 25 feet into the room i sleep in (on the other side of the bathroom).

Picture5.jpg

I would really appreciate feedback from people who have had lots of experience with chams!

Thank you.

It should be ok there. As far as Sound. Chameleons dont have ears. The biggest thing you have to watch out for is Traffic, and Stress. If you put him in an area that a lot of people walk by or through it may stress him out.

Frank

Like Frank said as long as it is not a high traffic area. After awhile they just get use to seeing you and do not think to much of it. My turtle will get out of water at night sometimes sit on his log and whatch t.v. when I get home from work.

Frank Castle said:
It should be ok there. As far as Sound. Chameleons dont have ears. The biggest thing you have to watch out for is Traffic, and Stress. If you put him in an area that a lot of people walk by or through it may stress him out.

Frank

Chameleons do have ears. They are not the typical external ears that we think of but they do have an ear structure. There hearing is limited to low frequency sounds as far as we know. Chris Anderson is doing research on infrasonic communication in chameleons. You can read more about Chris' work here, http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/may2003/infrasound/infrasound.html

Yes they do have ears but they are covered with skin. I would not worry about a t.v. or any electronics bothering them with these waves. Most electronics built in the past 15 years either have to small of speakers to go this low or have what is called a subsonic filter so that woofers can produces better bass. If you had a guitar (or bass) there could be a little cause for concern as this type of equipment does not. I would think even then it would be a very small chance. The human ear can only hear from about 20Hz-20kHz these guys are sending waves somewhere from 0-15Hz. There has been research with elephants that showes they communicate in this same fashion over vast distances and whales to. The main thing that caught my eye with the elephant research was that these waves the produced would go through trees although they where slowed by them. It is impossible to say whether a chameleon can "hear" or if these waves are vibrating the tree itself in a manner they understand. I found this website and was looking for it again. It had a male veiled chameleon recorded and was speed up so you could hear it. If any one has a link to this I would love it if you would post it. I have also heard a couple people suggest that maybe these sounds that they are producing are directly effected by the unique head features that all chameleons have. It maybe a way for them to determine whether they are the same species, their relative size, and possibly sex.

Jason said:
Chameleons do have ears. They are not the typical external ears that we think of but they do have an ear structure. There hearing is limited to low frequency sounds as far as we know. Chris Anderson is doing research on infrasonic communication in chameleons. You can read more about Chris' work here, http://www.chameleonnews.com/year2003/may2003/infrasound/infrasound.html

I was just being general with the noise that may have gone on it the room and that the Cham would not hear it. They have a hearing structure similar to dolphins, where they absorb the sound and it is transfered to a bone in the head or jaw.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom