A Promise to Our Pets

Bio123

After looking to this section many times, I feel pity for every chameleon that has passed. If only life was easy. A week ago, I lost a friend who was close to me in a car crash. I just want to make a promise to every living thing I own and know that I will give them the best of everything, knowing that life is precious. I know that everyone loves their pets in this forum, so everyone who want's to make this promise with me, please post a reply saying so. :)

This is called "A Dog's Prayer", I'm not religious and it's not really a prayer but I appreciate the underlying sediment everytime I read it... I know it's written from the POV of a dog, but, it could just as well be adapted for any pet (cat, bird, chameleon, etc...):

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Bio123, I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend.
It's nice that you're going to pledge to do your best for your pets.
IMHO, they didn't choose to be pets and we owe them the best care possible.

This is called "A Dog's Prayer", I'm not religious and it's not really a prayer but I appreciate the underlying sediment everytime I read it... I know it's written from the POV of a dog, but, it could just as well be adapted for any pet (cat, bird, chameleon, etc...):

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

I always think of passed pets when I read the Rainbow Bridge prayer....this is just as great and brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing...its beautiful.

I can completely relate to that because I have dogs too! They love me more than anything in the world.:D Let's make the rest of our days filled with happy thoughts.:)

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." ~Robert Byrne.

Oh man that poem makes me cry every time I read it. My vet actually sent it to me when my Lady had to be put down.
I cherish every day with friends, family and my pets. I worked in health care I am still hoping some day I will return as my disease does not allow it at this time.

I love my cham to bits and I promise to look after her as best I can (as well as the other pets too)! If the rainbow Bridge poem is the one I'm thinking of, it makes me think of a friend that has passed - I read it in the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul book that she gave me. I tried to read it after Lily died but I just couldn't, it's way too sad - gets me every time!:eek: I agree with the member who posted about it before - we definitely need a place in the forum where we can remember the pets that are no longer with us in body. Amy, I love you and will cherish every day that we have together.

~Tears~I too promise to do my best for all those who enrich my life every day in every way.......Trixxi included XX:)

Back
Top Bottom