A new interest in dead leaves of a ficus...

My panther chameleon, Riki has started to eat dead leaves, and eating less of his normal food. this pattern started to happen 2 days ago. Any suggestions and is this normal?

One of my panthers, would occasionally eat the dead, dried leaves on his pothos plant. It was only a few times when he was around a year old, and didn't slow down his appetite for his regular meals. I thought it was odd, but he seemed to like them. Only the "crunchy" ones. He's been tested for parasites, and the fecals have been clean.

One of my panthers, would occasionally eat the dead, dried leaves on his pothos plant. It was only a few times when he was around a year old, and didn't slow down his appetite for his regular meals. I thought it was odd, but he seemed to like them. Only the "crunchy" ones. He's been tested for parasites, and the fecals have been clean.

My boy is a year and 3 months and hes the same way, he absolutely loves to munch on either the dead pothos leaves or some dirt, i keep covering the dirt though to keep him from eating that. And he eats the same amount of insects as usual lol some guys are just weird like that and like to munch on things once in a while

Thanks for the replies, and he has no parasites his last fecal was a week ago. It's like an off and on patter. I guess I'll do an update on my earlier thread "Small Panther", he gained 15 grams in about a 3 week period, so I guess he's making a slow, but steady recovery.

It is a male panther stereotype. They just chew. Most quit around 1-1 1/2 years old. I have seen every reason floated as a possibility. I don't buy into the parasite, dehydration and vitamin reasonings, as I have had over 500 due this, with no parasites, 1-2 mistings every hour and perfect supplementation schedules. Never really noticed jacksons or veils (will destroy a pothos or hibiscus flowers though) doing it as often. Panthers just love chewing, probably why most are so nice. They get their angst out on the leaves.

I am curious to possible idea of marking their territory. Maybe a scent or leaves chewed being an indication of there is a male in the area. Mostly always done by the males, very rarely do I ever see a female do it. If she does, not but a couple times. Just one of those 'why is the sky blue?' questions.

I've caught my 7 month old female panther eating dried ficus leaves if she's hungry and I'm trying to sleep in on a Sunday morning. She's always hungry. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom