A lot of questions im a new owner

The big box stores suck. Only way to help the problem is to avoid shopping there...ever. Support locally owned pet stores (if they’re good), and breeders (reptiles and insects) that actually care about their products, and their customers. I’m sure they are a few box store employees that are good keepers, but as a general rule, ignore and avoid them. My stance can not be changed on this subject.

While I agree with most of what you're saying, if nobody is buying an animal, they won't continue to waste food, space, electricity, etc on it. They also likely wouldn't have many people to buy supplies for that animal.

The main takeaway is that by buying anything from them you are supporting a harmful business. Sure one person doesn't make much of a difference. But we should look at it as a collective effort. Excluding ourselves because we're just one person is a bad message overall. In more ways than just with Petco.

Also I was trying to keep it simple for OP based off his responses to people just trying to give helpful information on the subject.

Sorry, when I said "One purchase isn't really going to impact the way they stock their cages," I didn't mean to suggest that collective action wasn't important or that we should use that fact as a way to justify shopping at Petco. I meant it in the context of the OP talking about returning his animal (I don't think he should, I don't think you do either).

I agree with you that Petco isn't immune to market forces, but I was also trying to illustrate that discouraging hobbyists from shopping at Petco isn't enough to change their practices. People underestimate the amount big box stores are willing to bleed out just to be able to offer live animals. For Petco, live animals are window-dressing that helps them sell more dog/cat food than wearhouse style stores that offer fewer categories.

Keep discouraging hobbyists from shopping there, but also discourage your friends/family members who only have a dog or a cat from shopping there.

@bingbongthechameleon fair enough, I got defensive because you kind of attacked me when I was just using that as an example. I didn't intend my original comments to be offensive, actually the opposite. But when I re-read I can see how you might of thought I was attacking you. I just wanted to get the point across with an example. So I apologize for badly wording what I said. Everyone here is happy to help out with nothing to gain from it, and as others have said, we have all been there. I wasn't trying to act like I've never bought an animal from petco, years ago I used to all the time.
All gravey im probably just defensive if very upsetting buyinf a sick a
@sbernhoft I completely agree with that. Didnt mean that to argue with you. I know what you were getting across just didn't want it to be taken the wrong way.
Do you know any breeders? By chance we want a second addition to our reptile room

I would love to just point out that when it comes to corporation, every store will always be different. Judge me if you will but i work for Petsmart and my particular store is awesome. I nearly quit at another location, so I'm definitely not naive to the conditions some of them keep their animals in, but it all depends on the people and location(also keep in mind breeders play a part) My store, for example has made our own drippers for juvenile chameleons, crested geckos, and anoles and we spend a lot of time researching on our own time and take special care when training new employees.
Please do not return this chameleon, especially if it will be going back to the same location. These stores will keep getting reptiles whether or not you so.

What i WILL say is that i am really tired of hearing people bitch about big box stores yet do nothing about it. When i transferred from the location i nearly quit at i called HR. PLEASE report them! Call corporate and call your local authorities for animal cruelty. Do not return this babe to die under some fucked up notion that its saving lives. Save lives by getting everyone in that shitthole that let it happen fired.

Individual stores don't matter if they're all part of the same negative corporation. They hustle animals... Good on you for doing right at your store, but it won't change much. You should post pictures...

Another problem with these stores is that they throw out false information. I mean, even selling those chameleon kits with coil uvb bulbs is bull. Which I'm sure every Petco on the planet probably does... No one is saying take it back(unless it dies...), just that in the future it's best not to support them.

Lastly, dude I like to swear around an appropriate crowd, even in small amounts on here. But tone it down a little. There's a lot of different people here.

Last edited:
Individual stores don't matter if they're all part of the same negative corporation. They hustle animals... Good on you for doing right at your store, but it won't change much. You should post pictures...

Another problem with these stores is that they throw out false information. I mean, even selling those chameleon kits with coil uvb bulbs is bull. Which I'm sure every Petco on the planet probably does... No one is saying take it back(unless it dies...), just that in the future it's best not to support them.

Lastly, dude I like to swear around an appropriate crowd, even in small amounts on here. But tone it down a little. There's a lot of different people here.
I apologize for any intensity, after reading through it again i realize that though they certainly seemed to be suggesting it. Though im not sure what you mean by there being a lot of different people on here. If i cared about any sort of judgement i wouldnt say something like that at all if thats what you're getting at. Either way berating her for rescuing a sick animal and suggesting that was a bad choice before suggesting she report them is a bit dramatic and imo illogical.
Im not saying i disagree with the distaste for the corporation themselves either. My main point is that things can be done, and they can be different. It will take decades to convince the general public to stop shopping at Petco and Petsmart especially if they cant be offered these items for as cheap and as convenient, vs reporting the location that she witnessed animal abuse in(like was just done in texas, and around 18 reptiles were rescued and several policies changed as a result) and say, doing something like working in these places where you can change a bit about how these animals are kept, provide correct information to the employees and public(lowering the frequency with which your average person ends up with something like a chameleon kit vs the things that are in petsmart and petco that are appropriate for a juvenile-and fiy i have the right to refuse sale of a live animal if they happen to prefer the price tag of a chameleon kit) and can put yourself in a position to appeal to the shirts that run the business. Things are already changing because people are becoming more willing to speak out against it, i know i work there and i see it.
You're right that the corporations are doing nearly everything wrong but you're wrong that it wont change anything. Of course its not ideal at my location, I'm not saying it is and im sure you'll find many things wrong with it but already due to associate complaints one of our managers is budgeting in a replacement of habitats to better accommodate proper and individual lighting and heat sources as well as drainage systems for tropicals. But sure, lol, i can take a few pictures of our display the next time I'm in as long as i can ensure it wont threaten my job at all. Nevertheless berating someone for rescuing a sick animal is silly. These corporations do not want to go out business and they probably wont unless theres a collective change in mindset just like everything else that is wrong with societies inner workings. I guarantee there are better ways to change things than to condemn sick animals in improper environments.

I doubt their profit margin on reptiles and reptile supplies is more than 5% of their overall profits. If people would stop impulse buying reptiles and amphibians there, I’m sure they will stop offering live reptiles and amphibians. Over the years I’ve seen their display area shrink considerably, so they obviously aren’t making much money in that particular dept. I’d rather see it all go away, I’m sure they can expand their display of Martha Steward and Ellen branded dog supply section. At least in California they aren’t allowed to sell puppies. That’s a whole other conversation.

Chiming in on the petco/petsmart convo, they definitely do what seems to be the bare minimum for their reptiles, mainly because they set everything up in a way to show off the animal, and not really so much to make it comfortable. I've seen baby Leopard Geckos with a hide facing the front of the tank, which completely defeats the purpose of a hide, they only offer overhead heat/uvb and no belly heat, and they cover the bottom in sand which could possibly run the risk of impacting the babies if they eat it. It just makes me sad. :( As much as I want to see them away from that awful place, they're also reason why I only buy from official breeders.

But, moving on to your adorable Cham! If you copy and paste this list and fill it out, everyone should be able to better help / understand your and your Cham's situation, and make pointers or suggestions on how to help the little guy/gal. :) I'm a new owner myself, and filling it out even on day one, everyone was super helpful.

<3 Good luck with him!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom