a little bit of tank confusion

topmanollie

I’m getting a juvenile veiled Chamaeleon after i make sure my set up is fine and good. the chamie is going to be about 3 to 4 months. what’s the min size for their cage if i’m planning on to upgrade in the future.

• i was going to get 18 by 18 by 32 but someone told me it was too small

• i got told i need to get at least a 24 by 24 by 46

• the thing i was going to put the cage on is 22 in width 18 in length. if i need a bigger one, how can i make it fit

Im really confused...

The standard adult tank is the reptibreze XL style, 24x24x48 with a 22" T5HO 6%/5.0 UVB bulb.

No point in buying something that is 18x18x36 for a "baby" cage. You "use" a 18x18x36 because its leftover from your jackson setup or other reptiles.

So if you are going to buy a cage, buy the adult cage. If you feel your baby is not so bright, you can raise the bottom to make it a 24x24x24 cube.

Now here is your main "problem". The mesh cages just have a frame on the bottom, with an insert that is 23.5"x23.5" that rests on the frame. So the entire cage needs to rest on something at is at least 24x24 for support.

Your 22x18 thing can work fine. You need to go down to your local homecheapo and by a precut piece of plywood that is 24x24 3/4" thick. And here is a trade secret, buy 1 12x22 or 12x24 peel and stick vinyl tile for a buck. Pick out the smoothest rubberiest tile you can find. Then just peel and put sticky side up on your 22x18 thingy. And center the 24x24 plywood perfectly on top. After a few days the tile will create a gasket and make it impossible to accidently slide the base off. If you wanted to make it even more secure, you could by a wooden yard stick, and cut it into 4 equal lengths, and glue it to the sides of 24x24 base to create a lip to keep the physical cage from being pushed off.

This is based off of minimum zero mechanical aptitude and zero tools.

Back
Top Bottom