A Few Questions About Breeding Mantids

Pretty much any species is going to cannibalize. This is actually a good thing if you hatch your own. Once they hatch you break them up into groups of 20-30 and let them eat each other to both thin them down and provide food when they're so small. Afterwards, you can switch to fruit flies/crickets.

Other foods are mealworms, super worms, BSF/L, other flies/larvae, etc.

They're actually surprisingly easy to hatch from the ooth... but a major pain to breed (if you want the male to survive at least). More than likely you're going to want to feed off the females first as the get bigger and more aggressive. Males tend to stay smaller - which also means they can fly btw.

To hatch an ooth, just use a small container with some moss/leaf litter/ paper towel for humidity and a few sticks for the to grab when they hatch. Put a tight seal on them (Mason jars are great). Wait for them to hatch out. As stated, you'll probably end up with a few hundred. You can't leave them together for long unless you use a larger hatching container (such as gasket bin). You have 2 real options - allow them a bigger hatch area and let them naturally thin out and grow, or you can immediately break them up into small clusters and then feed them. I choose the latter as I like to micro manage stuff.

I personally use Mason jars/deli cups for hatching. Then move to bins with a fruit fly culture (they still eat each other, mostly because they need space to molt and/or feelinsecure molting when another is nearby). I'll then keep a few pairs [2-3], stored individually, in little acrylic boxes I picked up at repticon.

Also as stated above, if you chose to get orchid mantids or ghosts or violins, etc. you're better off selling them than feeding them... they're stunningly awesome. Stick to Chinese, Carolina etc. They're common and cool... but really cheap and easy.

I dropped mantids after a few generations as it's very tedious. I'd like to do Phasmids... but Florida is a pain in the fanny. Also, beware of their shields (hand claws). They're surprisingly feisty and sharp...

Pretty much any species is going to cannibalize. This is actually a good thing if you hatch your own. Once they hatch you break them up into groups of 20-30 and let them eat each other to both thin them down and provide food when they're so small. Afterwards, you can switch to fruit flies/crickets.

Other foods are mealworms, super worms, BSF/L, other flies/larvae, etc.

They're actually surprisingly easy to hatch from the ooth... but a major pain to breed (if you want the male to survive at least). More than likely you're going to want to feed off the females first as the get bigger and more aggressive. Males tend to stay smaller - which also means they can fly btw.

To hatch an ooth, just use a small container with some moss/leaf litter/ paper towel for humidity and a few sticks for the to grab when they hatch. Put a tight seal on them (Mason jars are great). Wait for them to hatch out. As stated, you'll probably end up with a few hundred. You can't leave them together for long unless you use a larger hatching container (such as gasket bin). You have 2 real options - allow them a bigger hatch area and let them naturally thin out and grow, or you can immediately break them up into small clusters and then feed them. I choose the latter as I like to micro manage stuff.

I personally use Mason jars/deli cups for hatching. Then move to bins with a fruit fly culture (they still eat each other, mostly because they need space to molt and/or feelinsecure molting when another is nearby). I'll then keep a few pairs [2-3], stored individually, in little acrylic boxes I picked up at repticon.

Also as stated above, if you chose to get orchid mantids or ghosts or violins, etc. you're better off selling them than feeding them... they're stunningly awesome. Stick to Chinese, Carolina etc. They're common and cool... but really cheap and easy.

I dropped mantids after a few generations as it's very tedious. I'd like to do Phasmids... but Florida is a pain in the fanny. Also, beware of their shields (hand claws). They're surprisingly feisty and sharp...
Oh my gosh, this is amazing to know, I have an old cage that I would be able to hatch the oothes in, The Josh'sFrogs "Kit" comes with the fruit fly cultures and everything so that seems like my best bet. How tiny are they when they hatch? There are a few holes where the branches were supported from and I don't want them to be able to escape. Isn't it only the females that cannibalize? or is it both genders, and how bad are they when you need to feed, in terms of when you open the jar, do they go crazy or not. (how do you feed them/ is there a specific way) Is there a certain age when they stop cannibalizing and you can house them together, and If I do house the majority in the old cage, in the end, will there end up being 1 sort of "alpha" mantis? Or will it be a sort of colony? Sorry for bombarding with questions, Thanks!

Oh my gosh, this is amazing to know, I have an old cage that I would be able to hatch the oothes in, The Josh'sFrogs "Kit" comes with the fruit fly cultures and everything so that seems like my best bet. How tiny are they when they hatch? There are a few holes where the branches were supported from and I don't want them to be able to escape. Isn't it only the females that cannibalize? or is it both genders, and how bad are they when you need to feed, in terms of when you open the jar, do they go crazy or not. (how do you feed them/ is there a specific way) Is there a certain age when they stop cannibalizing and you can house them together, and If I do house the majority in the old cage, in the end, will there end up being 1 sort of "alpha" mantis? Or will it be a sort of colony? Sorry for bombarding with questions, Thanks!
They're super tiny... like fruit fly size when they hatch.

Both males and females are cannibals.

Theres no age when they stop. It's more a matter for resources - space and food. As with mating them, if you can manage to keep them fed, they *USUALLY* will refrain from eating each other. The females just tend to be more aggressive.

If you plan to keep them in an old viv, you're going to want to hatch them in a solid container first. They can slip through the gaps and mesh sometimes upon hatching. (I've had to chase down a few males flying around my house... and it's a chore, lol!) The butterfly enclosures work because the mesh is more like a "pantyhose" type deal.

Oh, and it depends on the species as to how active they tend to be. Seeing as you're getting them from Josh's Frogs I'm going to say Chinese. They don't typically go crazy per se... depends on how many you keep together. If you don't go poking around and clunking food in there,they'll be cool. I personally just grab a stick and put a little media on it and let the fruit flies climb on it. Then put that into the bin/cup/enclosure with the mantis. [Think about a gorilla eating ants]

As a side note, I have a few ooths I got from them that never hatched... but that's my own personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom