A few questions about breeding

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I've been thinking about my future and seriously considering getting into breeding chameleons in the future. My question is what the approximate cost is for a chameleon from hatching to around 6 months of age. I'm ballparking around $300 minimum. Just would like to know so I can plan out when in my future, I can get into it. Knowing myself, I could most likely drive costs down by breeding and raising my own insects as well.

I would say if depends on how you raise them. If you raise them individually as recommended it will be substantially more, but will pay off in better quality animals.

I would say if depends on how you raise them. If you raise them individually as recommended it will be substantially more, but will pay off in better quality animals.
Understandable. I know with these animals, even owning just one, the biggest cost is initial startup. If I get into breeding, it will definitely be later in life.

That said I have seen some cool setups for raising babies individually with small butterfly mesh cages on a rack with lighting. You would still have the expense of plants, feeders, UV bulbs misting and supplements.

I’ve been looking at enclosures and for just a clutch for professional looking caging it’s about over $2,000 to be able to get professional pvc cages for around 40 babies from dw geckos which I found the cheapest but for something nicer like dragonstrand or tamura designs almost double that price

Even butterfly cages depending on the amount your species has a single panther has definitely over 20 babies with $10 per cage that’s $200 just for caving you can also diy some containers like a blog on here or other stuff and tim marks from leap told me he will be working on nursery caging too for leap habitats but idk when that’ll be happening I’d imagine leap would make more affordable options than tamura designs or dragonstrand tho if you wanna wait out for them

Back
Top Bottom