A few important questions

ThomasFord

i did a thread about lighting but it wasn't as explanatory as i needed it to be. my questions are:

1. My lighting in my cage got boosted to 75 watts instead of 50. is that a good change? I have a blue bar ambilobe panther chameleon.

2. He seems to have his mouth open and i've heard thats their way of cooling themselves. is that what hes doing? He's not coughing.

3. Will he eat the leftover food in his cage later when he's hungry?

He's about 6 months old btw.

i did a thread about lighting but it wasn't as explanatory as i needed it to be. my questions are:

1. My lighting in my cage got boosted to 75 watts instead of 50. is that a good change? I have a blue bar ambilobe panther chameleon.

2. He seems to have his mouth open and i've heard thats their way of cooling themselves. is that what hes doing? He's not coughing.

3. Will he eat the leftover food in his cage later when he's hungry?

He's about 6 months old btw.

Thomas,

1. When thinking about a warming light, concentrate on temp under the light, in lieu of wattage. You should be at approximately 80* +/- for the age of your species.

2. Yes, mouth open is not a god thing. Your temps are too warm. Adjust accordingly to meet your ideal basking temp.

3. Are you cup feeding or free ranging your feeders? If free ranging crickets, get them out each night. They can bite your little guy and cause an infection. If cup feeding, pull them out as well each night if there's a few left over. You'll want to provide fresh, gutloaded and dusted feeders, so that your little one can ge the best out of what you're providing him.

Thomas,

1. When thinking about a warming light, concentrate on temp under the light, in lieu of wattage. You should be at approximately 80* +/- for the age of your species.

2. Yes, mouth open is not a god thing. Your temps are too warm. Adjust accordingly to meet your ideal basking temp.

3. Are you cup feeding or free ranging your feeders? If free ranging crickets, get them out each night. They can bite your little guy and cause an infection. If cup feeding, pull them out as well each night if there's a few left over. You'll want to provide fresh, gutloaded and dusted feeders, so that your little one can ge the best out of what you're providing him.

okay thank you! i put the 50 watt bulb back in although its a little low. ill buy a new 65 tomorrow.

The bulb wattage is irrelevant. As long as you reach the needed temp.

I'd get the lowest wattage possible to reach that target. So test a few.

Its, safer, and you'll find it won't dim as much when connected to a dimmer stat. :)

Back
Top Bottom