A Faly and a Tamatave... to breed or not to breed?

Undertow11

Has anyone bred a Tamatave to a Faly?
If so, what were the results? Does it make for a pretty combo or does it just cancel out what makes them both unique? Does it turn out like a Boraha?

I have never cross-bred any panthers before. I've always kept the bloodlines clean, but I keep wondering about the possibility of a Tamatave/Faly cross and I have the chameleons to try it...
I was adamant about keeping Falys clean when they weren't so prevalent on the market... but it seems like Falys are becoming more and more common in captivity and maybe there's no sin in a little experimenting now (provided that it's done honestly and nothing gets marketed as a "high-red" Faly or something like that)...
Thoughts?

(pic of my tamatave below)

Attachments

• 184_8445.JPG
    184_8445.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 193
At the end of the day it's up to you. I love seeing crosses, I think many of them turn out to be really interesting. But because you're crossing two rarer locales you'll probably get a lot of people say to not do it.

Has anyone bred a Tamatave to a Faly?
If so, what were the results?

(pic of my tamatave below)

Results baby chameleons. What they look like, you won't know until they hatch and grow up. You can't even tell someone what 2 ambanjas for sure going to look like.

So in the end you'll have some baby Furcifer pardalis. My guess is most people haven't crossed them here purposely but I can be proven wrong easily since I don't know.

Thats like telling you its probably going to have some red and white in it LOL

I probably wouldnt for the sake of keeping pure the subspecies just cause they are some of the rarer ones. That being said once wouldn't hurt just to see what would happen.

I am a believer in keeping the lines pure. If you are looking for something unique, add Quad sailfins to your husbandry and breed them.

The one thing that would be kind of refreshing is to have a Faly cross and admit it up front, instead of starting flame wars when you get caught. I have a panther and it's a mutt but I knew that when I bought him, so crosses are fine by me.

In thousands of years, we will all be dead, and all the locals will have interbread and changed. Whats wrong with traveling ahead through time a bit eh?
IMO There is nothing wrong with crosses, as long as they are acknowledged as crosses, and not reintroduced to the wild populations.
Godspeed.

There is also a NOD/WINK/DO IT WHY NOT attitude to cross breeding like this because in the end the offspring can be just as valuable for resale as the original line, unlike other cross breeding examples where you produce a MUTT and it is not as valuable as the pure blood.

To each his own. You will always find 1/2 of us who want to keep the line pure, the other 1/2 who love creativity and pushing the envelope for more designs and colors of the rainbow...

I'm on board for having pure blood lines as well as having crosses. The problem is the girls and truthfulness. Most female panthers look alike and we have to hope that from the person yanking it out of the tree, to the person retailing it that the cham is what it's being sold as. I'm hoping in most instances that they are what they claim to be sold as. I'm also sure that either do to greed or human error accidental misrepresentation or deliberate lying happens also. I find it really hard to believe that the only liars in business are used car sales men.

I'm on board for having pure blood lines as well as having crosses. The problem is the girls and truthfulness. Most female panthers look alike and we have to hope that from the person yanking it out of the tree, to the person retailing it that the cham is what it's being sold as. I'm hoping in most instances that they are what they claim to be sold as. I'm also sure that either do to greed or human error accidental misrepresentation or deliberate lying happens also. I find it really hard to believe that the only liars in business are used car sales men.

Thats very much the problem. There will always be those who are slimey.
But there will always be those who will keep pure lines going.
An abundant amount of crosses would ultimatily lead to more expensive pure lines though, IMO at least;)

Thanks to all for the responses...

My real intent was to find out if anyone has previously tried it? (meaning bred a Tamatave to a Faly).
I know that Ambilobes and Ambanjas have been crossed (along with Nosy Be's, Sambavas, etc.), but I've never heard of a Tamatave/Faly cross...

Even though I have never previously cross-bred any lines, I do not take a side in the cross-breeding debate (as I've seen some amazing crosses - check the kammers site). My only concern with it is the honesty of the breeder (which isn't a concern in my case, because if I cross something, I know I will advertise it correctly as a cross).
I already have pure line Faly eggs in my incubator (along with Nosy Be, and Ambilobe). Instead of breeding more pure Falys, I thought it might be interesting to see what a Tamatave and Faly will produce...
I will probably try it someday, maybe not this year, but eventually my curiosity will get the better of me.

Thanks to all for the responses...

My real intent was to find out if anyone has previously tried it? (meaning bred a Tamatave to a Faly).
I know that Ambilobes and Ambanjas have been crossed (along with Nosy Be's, Sambavas, etc.), but I've never heard of a Tamatave/Faly cross...

Even though I have never previously cross-bred any lines, I do not take a side in the cross-breeding debate (as I've seen some amazing crosses - check the kammers site). My only concern with it is the honesty of the breeder (which isn't a concern in my case, because if I cross something, I know I will advertise it correctly as a cross).
I already have pure line Faly eggs in my incubator (along with Nosy Be, and Ambilobe). Instead of breeding more pure Falys, I thought it might be interesting to see what a Tamatave and Faly will produce...
I will probably try it someday, maybe not this year, but eventually my curiosity will get the better of me.

thats how is suppose to work in theory, until you the honest breeder sells or gives one to someone that then somehow gives it to someone else and that some one else has just sold a pair of Falys for $1000 since they had a male faly then so on and so on. Its not our fault or responsibility but it does happen and probably more times then we think of. If or when you do they will probably be killer looking panthers though no doubt about that. There are some amazing looking crosses that Ive seen this year with Faly in them not Tamatave though.

Back
Top Bottom