a bit OT...went to show today

lele

Avid Member
and came home with a pair of side-blotched lizards. I NEVER impulse buy at shows! I still cannot believe I did it especially since I had never even heard of, or seen, them before! :eek: Anyone keep them? Looking for ideas for setup. The are native to SW US so I will do similar to beardie tank. Can't find much info on them in captivity. Understand they are short lived (2 years), but I think the female may be gravid. They are sleeping wrapped up in a bandana right now (Soooo cute!) so I'll get pics tomorrow:D

so cool

i went to a show yesterday and came home with a 3 week old vieled chameleon. he's so adventurous! he's crawling around on the keyboard right now.:)

look up care for swift lizards and it would be the same because a side-blotched lizard is a swift lizards. i'm sure they can live loger then 2 years if housed properly

Oh-no...

evertech11 said:
i went to a show yesterday and came home with a 3 week old vieled chameleon. he's so adventurous! he's crawling around on the keyboard right now.:)

I see you live in Maine - did you buy from Lynde Pinto?????????????????????????????????????????????? at the Manchester NH show??????????????????????????????????

I hate her and the fact that she sells her chams as young as she does. I have know several people who have bought from her and all but one of the chams were dead within the month. I even complained to the show coordinator, Bruce, via email before the show and then spoke with him both before and after the show yesterday. I "tried" to talk to her." I also took pics of her tank with the ages. :eek: Sorry, she is a major b---h and a bad breeder. No reputable breeders will let chams go that young. She says the reason she won't wait the 3 months is b/c she cannot get her $$ back from all the care and feeding for those 3 months - sound like she is in it for the $$ or cares about the chams?

All that said I wish you the very best. It does not mean your cham is doomed, and I don't know what your cham keeping experience is, but forget anything she told you and listen to us;)

UGH - this woman has been a bane to me for years! I suggested Bruce that they restrict the age of selling chams to 3 months or older. Did you see the poor Jacksons in the tubs? I think it will be the last show I got to. Might check out the one in Portland in Aug. since I have not been there.

Sorry to rant on about Mzzzzzzz Pinto but she just makes me sick!

lele said:
I see you live in Maine - did you buy from Lynde Pinto?????????????????????????????????????????????? at the Manchester NH show??????????????????????????????????

I hate her and the fact that she sells her chams as young as she does. I have know several people who have bought from her and all but one of the chams were dead within the month. I even complained to the show coordinator, Bruce, via email before the show and then spoke with him both before and after the show yesterday. I "tried" to talk to her." I also took pics of her tank with the ages. :eek: Sorry, she is a major b---h and a bad breeder. No reputable breeders will let chams go that young. She says the reason she won't wait the 3 months is b/c she cannot get her $$ back from all the care and feeding for those 3 months - sound like she is in it for the $$ or cares about the chams?

All that said I wish you the very best. It does not mean your cham is doomed, and I don't know what your cham keeping experience is, but forget anything she told you and listen to us;)

UGH - this woman has been a bane to me for years! I suggested Bruce that they restrict the age of selling chams to 3 months or older. Did you see the poor Jacksons in the tubs? I think it will be the last show I got to. Might check out the one in Portland in Aug. since I have not been there.

Thanks for the info i've already downloaded a few care booklets onto my PC so i think that it will all work out fine.

a few notes...

keep him in a tank until he is about 2-3 months, just don't let it overheat due to glass. Keep him well hydrated as babies dehydrate and overheat a lot easier than subs and adults. Fruit flies and pinhead crickets and tiny phoenix worms would be best for now. Phoenix are naturally high in Calcium so they are great for babies.

I have no idea what your previous experience is so please don't think I am talking down to you in any way. Not having posted before we have to assume a newbie (nothing wrong with newbies ;) we were all one at some point:p

There is a lot of good and not-so-good info online. If you use the the links via these forums and this article Cham Resources you should be OK. And never hesitate to ask to have something clarified. I have seen her caresheets and there was a lot of poor info.

OK, all that said...got pics? have you named him yet?
Have you ever gone to the Portland show?

lele:)

info on my cham

His name is Carlos (everyone thinks that is so unoriginal, but I just think its incorrect, cause' he's native to Yemen), he's four incheslog (tip o' the tail to mouth), but i dont have too many pictures and the ones that i did take were poor quality cause' i took em' with a web cam but i'll try to get some good ones when he's feeling up to it.

lele said:

Wow Lele, I have never seen you get so worked up over anything. Even though the petstores in the area here in Canada sell veileds too young, we have a few breeders that wait until about 5 months to sell theirs. I am always very pleased to see breeders like Kevin Sousa, selling them at this age and size.

At least you rant about a good cause. Good luck with your endeavors to rid the community of this "breeder".

photos

I've posted pictures of carlos in my gallery so check them out.
(he's not 3 months old so dont believe the photos that say that. sorry)

Back
Top Bottom