9 month old male veiled, need advice

tammylee

Hello everyone, I have a gorgeous boy named Prince Charles. He is now 9 months old going on 10 in jan, 2015. Bought him back in June of 2014. Hes from a quality breeder in Ontario. His ambient temps daytime is about 74, basking 90, night temps are about 64. 12 on 12 off. 5.0 uvb, not old bulb. mist enclosure 2-3 times per day at 40%.
Winter here in new Brunswick, Canada. Repasy multi + Calcuim D3 twice weekly dusted on crickets or supers, Started plan calcium daily recently. He's always been a great eater since day 1, he just went through a major growth spurt for about 1 month, he'd get done shedding one week then the next week start shedding again for about 4 weeks. Now for the last 2 weeks he is not eating much. Last few days hasn't touched anything, been fighting with him for 2 weeks. He hasn't lost weight, he is active, drinking daily, good colors etc. Has bowels movement every other day, small but hydrated bms which I can understand where he's not eating much. thoroughly examined him and checked mouth, all normal. I've been told they will not eat after they have gone through growth spurt. He is a good size boy, very sweet, I am limiting my interaction with him now limiting his stress. I examined him everyday for about 4 days and gave him liquid rescue diet to see if that would stimulate his appitite, nope he still wont eat. I am now keeping a chart to record is intake. today took all insects out of his dish hoping after not seeing food he will eventually want to eat in a couple of days. But I feel I'm being mean, but was told to do this. Also we brought a female home a few days before Christmas, he cannot see her unless I take her out then he seems to know, so possibly going through girl friend stress including food strike??? He did go off crickets a couple of month ago so started him on superworms and loved them, tried other insects, ignores them as well. He sure thinks she pretty, he do a fantastic show for her if shes close to his sight. Would like to know what you experienced cham owners think about his diet strike. I am worried about him going downhill if he doesn't get his protein and vits. Even try greens, no thanks. No exotic vets here. Somedays he just climbs around all day exploring till he needs his basking.
20141106_182613.jpg

He has beautiful colors, I must say! :)
What I can think of is may be the shedding bothers him. Could you increase the mistings while he is shedding?
My female veiled was always a little piggy and from one day to another she stopped eating that much. She ate every second day, much less than before.
I say, if everyting else is normal,as you said, he became an adult, and don't need that much food anymore. An possibly the shedding doesn't help either. :)

thank you! I am very proud of this handsome man. His personality is funny as heck. Hes the clown of the chams I think. He even enjoyed sitting on my head while I decorated the house. lol. My hubby just shakes his head. He hasn't shed since about 3 weeks ago now. But man he grew!!! Strong grip to the point it hurts, lol. I checked him and still do for any RI symptoms but nothing. His teeth are weird colored though I forgot to mention, both his upper and lower are like their stained like a brownish color, but maybe they always were I never checked them as I was told how easily they stress. My female is 6 months old hers are white. Im trying to learn as much as I can always on the web learning everything I can, but of course there is always bad advice that I even shake my head at. I have had beardies and leos before, but after I totally fell in love with the chams after reading and visiting them I just totally fell in love and now only have my 2 veileds. I actually find them relatively easy to care for in regards of the bearides who I found so hard to keep happy and they were so moody from one week to the next. Hard to keep them hot and dry when our summers are so cool and humid!! Also I keep my chams outside each day till evening so they get all the uv, heat and humidy and fresh air they need. But of course now they will be in their enclosures till late spring. I think Charlie is a high yellow??? But he also have a large amount of turquoise too. Whatever he is he's cool, lol Just being stubborn I hope.

Back
Top Bottom