9 day old baby jacksons

yokman

So we bought my friends son a 3 horned jackson that was susposed to be a male. Well SHE had 14 babies 9 days ago and 1 didn't make it at birth. From what I have read I see that girls can have 3 horns aswell. Momma is doing Great and I was lucky enuff to get 6 of the babies. I havent seen them eat but they are very active and drink alot. I am keeping them in a small tank togher with pin heads for food. I am keeping the temp at 73 deg on bottom and 78deg at top using digital temp gauge. For lighing I am useing a zoomed 5.0 uvb tropical, should I be using another light source aswell right now? I can post pics if needed,just wondering what to look for and any help making these little guys survive would be great.

How big is the tank? If it's 10 gallon, it might be a little cramped. Stay on the cooler side with Jackson babies. 78F is o.k., but make sure that there are cooler areas. The smaller the tank, the harder it will be to create a large enough temperature gradient. A 20 gallon long would be a better tank, as you could place your heat bulb far to one side or the other, so that they have a 'cooler' zone to retreat to should they need. Stay away from going above 78F for little Jacksons.

Also make sure there is no substrate on the ground and it is kept very clean. Agreed that you could use a large environment.

The tricky part about using glass is aquariums is that the air can get stagnate and bad things can happen. A glass cage is not bad but maybe some people that know a little more about neonate care can assist in advice on the topic.

Hello & welcome. I would keep those babies in a 10 gal tank. that is what I did with mine and all was good. They need temps 68 to 70 and lots of humidity. i sat a humidifier from walmart next to mine. i also sprayed them several times a day on the leaves and sides of the tank, not on the babies. I also got crazy and made cage furniture for mine. I glued together the stick that look like 10" toothpicks and made a jungle jym. The babies loved them. Hope this helps.If I can do anything else just let me know.
4686667860_5bd2976724_b.jpg

Reactions: Hoj
So we bought my friends son a 3 horned jackson that was susposed to be a male. Well SHE had 14 babies 9 days ago and 1 didn't make it at birth. From what I have read I see that girls can have 3 horns aswell. Momma is doing Great and I was lucky enuff to get 6 of the babies. I havent seen them eat but they are very active and drink alot. I am keeping them in a small tank togher with pin heads for food. I am keeping the temp at 73 deg on bottom and 78deg at top using digital temp gauge. For lighing I am useing a zoomed 5.0 uvb tropical, should I be using another light source aswell right now? I can post pics if needed,just wondering what to look for and any help making these little guys survive would be great.

Oh, please, please post the pics. I'm dying to see them!!!:D

Laurie: yours are precious!

Congratulations on your babies ! The 3 horned female you have can only be a Mt. Kenya Jacksons. The females have a normal coloration but the males can be stunning ! The same scenario happened to me a month ago so I also have several babies. Any questions you have can be answered on this forum . I have been thinking about a breeding project as I understand these chameleons are hard to come by as captive bred so if you are interested in a possible trade or sale of a male & female in the future when they are old enough , please PM me & let me know. Mine are doing very well in a screen cage with a basking light, a UV light , high humidity & misting several times per day.

Laurie....love the gym :) Which glue did you use or is it clear aquarium sealant?

Sorry to interupt thread OP...

Laurie....love the gym :) Which glue did you use or is it clear aquarium sealant?

Sorry to interupt thread OP...

It is hot glue gun with thread wrapped in while the glue is hot - super easy and baby chams love it. Thanks for asking

Well the babies are still doing well and only lost 1 since last post. They came from my girlfriend and she took them back. Had a nice little fight over that but all is well and she is doing good with them. I myself bought a 10 month old female that is "susposed" to be prego and have had her for 3 weeks. I had 2 keep her in a small tank with mesh top til I got her 24x24x48 screen cage built. She has 1 big rubber tree plant and a vine in there now. I noticed yesterday that she has 1 eye that she keeps sinking in and VERY worried about her. I am broke as could be right now but called the vet and he is not in til monday....ugggggg! She eats like a pig and drinks every other day from a spray bottle. I made a dripper and have it going now but and just scared she wont make it.I have a repti sun 5.0 and her basking spot is about 2 inchs from the top with a temp of 80 deg on the nose with my digital thermoter. Any help or Ideas would be GREAT. I can post pics aswell.
Thanks Yok

She might need more water. If she is only drinking every other day from the bottle, its not enough...

Hello & welcome. I would keep those babies in a 10 gal tank. that is what I did with mine and all was good. They need temps 68 to 70 and lots of humidity. i sat a humidifier from walmart next to mine. i also sprayed them several times a day on the leaves and sides of the tank, not on the babies. I also got crazy and made cage furniture for mine. I glued together the stick that look like 10" toothpicks and made a jungle jym. The babies loved them. Hope this helps.If I can do anything else just let me know.
4686667860_5bd2976724_b.jpg

Are those baby Quads I see? How adorable!

Back
Top Bottom