6.2 or 6.5 solarmeter?

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey our favorite lighting guy has both the 6.2 and 6.5 meter back in stock. Which one should i get since they are within 10% of each other. I havent been keeping up to date on the newer meters, and my Oldie finally died from the 90's.

It looks like the 6.2 just does uvb, and the 6.5 is made for uv index, and not like the 6.4 thats made for human simulation.

Well from what ive been reading, the uv index is µW/cm² divided by 40. However someone did a test with both the 6.2 and the 6.5 and came up with these ratios:

Solar Raptor UV Pro 70W Metal Halide Lamp - 35.0 : 1
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tube - 34.3 : 1
Arcadia D3 Basking Lamp 160w mercury vapour lamp - 20.7 : 1
ExoTerra ReptiGlo 10.0 Compact Lamp - 14.0 : 1
ZooMed Powersun 100w Mercury Vapour Lamp - 11.2 : 1
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamp - OLD version from 2007 - 10.8 : 1
and for comparison
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 Compact Lamp - NEW version from 2009 - 31.5 : 1

Guess ill go with the 6.2, but from what ive been reading they are pushing for the 6.5 in the future.

SHesh this is as bad as using a radioshack sound db meter that uses the human ear model instead of real db's.

I've done VERY little research on the meters but the ones I have seen run about $230 USD. Is this about right or should I hunt for a lower price?

I have the 6.2 and its awesome...I think I read the diffrence is the 6.5 has memory that records the reading,,but i could be wrong

The difference in the meters it that one measures uv index (Total uv) and one measures uvb (closest to that which metabolizes vit D)

The 6.2 solar meter measures UV-B
The 6.5 Measures UV Index

They run around 220 to 230 per unit on the manufacturer web site

Lightyourreptiles.com is having a sale

6.2 meter $176.85
6.5 meter $198.95

The difference between those both solarmeters is not only values given as UVB (µW/cm²) or UVI (1 = 2.5 µW/cm²). You can easily convert one into the other. The big difference is the way they match with the D3-curve of reptiles. The maximum of vitamin D 3 synthesis in reptiles is at ~ 297 nm. Solarmeter 6.2 matches only 75%, the 6.5 matches around 95%! Take a look at the graphics of page 2 of this pdf file to see the difference. A 6.2 does measure UVB rays, which don't help your reptile producing vitamin D3, too. Problem about it: There might be lamps you measure as "sufficient", but which aren't in fact. So if you want to know whether UVB light of your cage is sufficient for your reptile, best choice for keepers up to date is Solarmeter 6.5.

Last edited:
where did you get the uv index = 2.5 µW/cm². There is no way an Australian 300 µW/cm² is a uv index of 120. An Australian summer only has a peek uv index of 15.

Still i agree with you on the better measurements of the 6.5.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm

Yes lets muddy the water more. The guy calibrated the test so the 6.2 read 100 for each bulb, then placed the 6.5 in the same spot. The results are all over the map.

PS: im running the dual 46" version of that hood, its mean for fish, but they didnt have the new reptile HO bulbs out at the time. Im happy with it, but i hope your cord is longer than 3ft :p

The difference between those both solarmeters is not only values given as UVB (µW/cm²) or UVI (1 = 2.5 µW/cm²). You can easily convert one into the other. The big difference is the way they match with the D3-curve of reptiles. The maximum of vitamin D 3 synthesis in reptiles is at ~ 297 nm. Solarmeter 6.2 matches only 75%, the 6.5 matches around 95%! Take a look at the graphics of page 2 of this pdf file to see the difference. A 6.2 does measure UVB rays, which don't help your reptile producing vitamin D3, too. Problem about it: There might be lamps you measure as "sufficient", but which aren't in fact. So if you want to know whether UVB light of your cage is sufficient for your reptile, best choice for keepers up to date is Solarmeter 6.5.

Wow, ok. Very good info and thank you for the breakdown.

Back
Top Bottom