45 degrees with Panther Cham

Jhlamotte95

So last night the power went out when I was asleep at about 3AM. I woke up to find my panther chameleon really dark and holding onto his branch like he was almost stuck to it. I then desperately put him right in front of the heater at 90° until his little body warmed up and he looks at least on the outside completely fine energetic eyes open moving very fast still trying to climb like normal. Just wondering if on occasions a Chamaeleon can handle temperatures into the mid 40s for a couple hours and not freeze to death. Thoughts? Also way more important is he going to be ok?

Attachments

• A0744694-7792-430D-AFC6-3CFD543CA3A7.jpeg
    A0744694-7792-430D-AFC6-3CFD543CA3A7.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 88
Yes, he'll probably be fine. As long as he can bask in correct temps the next morning he should be OK. Low temps happen in nature too. If this happens again I wouldn't panic and try heating him up too fast. You could accidentally burn him.

Yeah he'll live. Many reptiles survive temps close to freezing. Not that it'd be a great regular occurrence, but no harm at all.

I also agree, heating him up like that is not a good idea, just let it gradually come back up.
Well it was my first time I kinda panicked, but i can see how heat like that can be very dry.
What other harm could it do? Jw bc I did Let him move out of the heat an back into as he wanted. But still kinda curious.

Yes, he'll probably be fine. As long as he can bask in correct temps the next morning he should be OK. Low temps happen in nature too. If this happens again I wouldn't panic and try heating him up too fast. You could accidentally burn him.
I agree there was no contact with the heater he was a couple inches away though. I could def see that happening if I was to touch him with the heater.

I agree there was no contact with the heater he was a couple inches away though. I could def see that happening if I was to touch him with the heater.
You cham can get burned even if they don't touch anything directly. If it sits too close to a heat source too long (such as a basking lamp bulb) their skin can easily be seriously damaged.

Back
Top Bottom