4 side screen enclosure or 3 sides with a solid back?

Dave

Avid Member
I'm in a lil bit of a pickle with my enclosure. I constucted 4 frames for my screen sides instead of the 3 I intended on accidentally. haha I zoned out and just kinda got into the groove n ended up with an extra frame. I originally planned on a solid plywood back to prevent overspray from misting. I got to thinking about it though, since I already constructed a 4th frame anyways, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a complete fresh air enclosure rather than using the solid back? I think it'd be far more comfortable for Liz, my female veiled, or am I wrong?

i have the same question but recently bought 4 sided screen cages and am putting backs on both of them. the airflow is good but overspray has been an issue as well as less cover for my chameleon. i think open on all sides is more stressful i am only a novice though hopefully an expert will reply

i was wondering the same thing when i built my own cage, but i got this great idea that required a clear shower curtain, clear rings, a wooden dowel and 2 silver hooks to place the dowel in. i cut the width but didn't have to cut the length because my cage is 6' tall, and screwed the hooks into the top at the back (its a wooden cage - not sure if you are making wood or metal frames..). i even use the dowel to clamp my 2 basking lamps onto, its great! however, if you have a metal frame, you could just drill a hole on either end at the top (back of course) and get those machine-screw type hooks and use a washer and nut to hold them in place. the rest is the same...

see?
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/darkrapture13/100_3910.jpg

hey cg check out what i did to prevent the water going out the back

get a large tub, i use maccourt's supertub available at lowe's for 10 dollars, any concrete mortar mixing tub willl work fine.

the cage doesn't have to fit inside it but its better if it does.

if you are putting the cage against a wall, get some white plastic film, its called poly film , panda film etc, available at ace hardware, gardening stores, etc etc, any plastic will do

tack it into the wall 6-8 inches taller and wider than you plan on misting.

the bottom of the plastic sheeting should then fall into your tub, much like a lil water slide.

then you can put a magazine under one side of your tub and drill a hole in the other, adhesive a funnel to the bottom of it and grab yourself a piece of tubing or garden hose and have it all fall into a bucket, 5 gal water bottle, 1 gal water bottle etc etc, it all depends on how often you want to refill, i use big and its a good thing i do cuz i'll look at it and it will be full, and had it been smaller i'd have gross water falling through my ceiling down stairs!

gooood luck!

mczoo, i have a tub like dankmeleon mentioned. its there for my drainage holes anyway, and i have the bottom of the shower curtain set into it for water collection. :)

Thanks, makes sense
unfortunately i made the bottom of my cage into a tub with a drain and all so putting it in a tub would seem redundant but I might anyway

Back
Top Bottom