Attachments

• 99B7BA3D-A7F8-408F-9743-9BEACD5425E5.jpeg
    99B7BA3D-A7F8-408F-9743-9BEACD5425E5.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 107
These are early stage eggs:
full

See the distinct oval shapes?
K. multituberculata

This is one of the forum member's (sorry I can't remember who!) chams who had MBD and tons of eggs in very early development:
full

Veiled cham

This is eggs nearly ready to be laid:
full

Panther cham

Any news / update?
Hi All, my girl has been home with me since. She hasn’t laid or even in the lay bin yet. SHES still walking around, eating and drinking. She’s just pooped and peed yesterday. Her eyes aren’t sunken and she’s moving about during the day. At night she still has blackness which worries me, but when I emailed the vet they said they believe it is due to stress, and if it changes to bring her in again. I’ve been keeping a close eye but giving her her privacy which I hope is helping

The blackness worries me to...but I don't think it's from (emotional) stress.

When a chameleon gets to the point where she cannot lay her eggs (which may be from lack of the necessary balance of hormones that cause them to be laid... or because the eggs are too big to lay ...or deformed and can't be laid) it seems she often goes back to acting normal for a while.
I think the next "step" is either the eggs rot and cause infection or maybe pressure causes organ (maybe kidney) damage and she crashes. But this is just my opinion...as I've said, I'm not a vet and only speak from experience and what I've read, learned from others.

Once...and one time only, a veiled chameleon I know of resorbed her eggs and all was well.....that's one in 30 years of experience.

The blackness worries me to...but I don't think it's from (emotional) stress.

When a chameleon gets to the point where she cannot lay her eggs (which may be from lack of the necessary balance of hormones that cause them to be laid... or because the eggs are too big to lay ...or deformed and can't be laid) it seems she often goes back to acting normal for a while.
I think the next "step" is either the eggs rot and cause infection or maybe pressure causes organ (maybe kidney) damage and she crashes. But this is just my opinion...as I've said, I'm not a vet and only speak from experience and what I've read, learned from others.

Once...and one time only, a veiled chameleon I know of resorbed her eggs and all was well.....that's one in 30 years of experience.
Do you all think I should take her back to the vet? Im just very unsure of what to do next

I would take her to a good chameleon vet before she becomes too weak to be helped. Eggs or remnants of eggs IMHO can't be left there because they still have to be gotten rid of one way or another.....but as I keep saying I'm not a vet and only speak from experience, papers I've read, studies I've been involved in etc.

I'm sorry I don't have time to read through this whole thread but based on that x-rays those are not eggs that will be laid any time soon. They are very small and in a tight cluster so either just starting to form, or a clutch that is being resorbed (less common). They could still be causing problems like inflammation but much less common when they are that size, although I am concerned about the density of some of those follicles but could just be overlapping with food/feces in the intestines. It's hard to tell for sure based on just a single x-ray view. But do not expect to see digging or laying behavior right now. If the follicles are the source of the problem then she'll need to be spayed. Bone density looks good and everything else on the x-ray looks normal.

I'm sorry I don't have time to read through this whole thread but based on that x-rays those are not eggs that will be laid any time soon. They are very small and in a tight cluster so either just starting to form, or a clutch that is being resorbed (less common). They could still be causing problems like inflammation but much less common when they are that size, although I am concerned about the density of some of those follicles but could just be overlapping with food/feces in the intestines. It's hard to tell for sure based on just a single x-ray view. But do not expect to see digging or laying behavior right now. If the follicles are the source of the problem then she'll need to be spayed. Bone density looks good and everything else on the x-ray looks normal.
Thank you so very much for responding! 💗 I think many of us have been very worried for this sweet lady.

@ferritinmyshoes If you do get a bit more time look at posts #35, #75, #145.
Thank you for helping narrow things down! The passed slugs are concerning because none of those follicles would be that big if passed based on that x-ray view. So that would be more consistent with a clutch that was in the process of development but is regressing now. She may have passed the largest slugs and the rest continued to regress. It's not very common in chameleons in general to see a resorbing clutch, although I've definitely seen a few where I've watched the follicles get smaller and smaller on subsequent x-rays rather then get larger and need to be laid. So it can happen but it's not as well documented as bearded dragons who do it a lot more commonly. Or the slugs may have been remnants from the last clutch that was laid and these only just recently passed and now a new clutch is just starting and is what's visible on x-rays. Given the title of the thread that may be more likely. Hopefully some of the problems and color change seen was due to inflammation from the slugs and then once those passed that has subsided. If she's not improving then personally I would move to surgery to spay her.

Hi all. Thank you everyone for giving advice and input, there’s still so much I learn every time I come on here. She’s still eating and urinating and pooping, she’s moving about the cage as well. I think she is dehydrated a bit maybe based on the color of the urate, but I already have 3 misting times during the day (4 mins each) so I’m unsure why she would be? Other than that she hasn’t been in the lay bin which now makes me feel a little better after reading above. She does still have some blackness on her. I will include a picture, I can really only see it at night. Sorry it’s not the best. It’s on her face, side and tail

Attachments

• FA3B8B8F-8347-43DE-B361-46AD925FA97C.jpeg
    FA3B8B8F-8347-43DE-B361-46AD925FA97C.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi all. Thank you everyone for giving advice and input, there’s still so much I learn every time I come on here. She’s still eating and urinating and pooping, she’s moving about the cage as well. I think she is dehydrated a bit maybe based on the color of the urate, but I already have 3 misting times during the day (4 mins each) so I’m unsure why she would be? Other than that she hasn’t been in the lay bin which now makes me feel a little better after reading above. She does still have some blackness on her. Here’s her eye too.. does something look off?

Attachments

• 1B5A2759-F261-4ECF-961B-0C2B8FACFB5C.jpeg
    1B5A2759-F261-4ECF-961B-0C2B8FACFB5C.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 83
Hi all. Thank you everyone for giving advice and input, there’s still so much I learn every time I come on here. She’s still eating and urinating and pooping, she’s moving about the cage as well. I think she is dehydrated a bit maybe based on the color of the urate, but I already have 3 misting times during the day (4 mins each) so I’m unsure why she would be? Other than that she hasn’t been in the lay bin which now makes me feel a little better after reading above. She does still have some blackness on her. Here’s her eye too.. does something look off?
Her eye should not look like that. This can sometimes be linked to supplements and can me linked to an infection. I do not know a lot about this know. @snitz427 what do you think? I know yours had to do flushing due to an eye issue but I do not recall the details or if it looked like this.

Back
Top Bottom