3 week old chameleon

Bubblesbabycham

hello! I just got a new baby chameleon. He is 3 weeks old and right now I was told it is best to not use a heat lamp when he is that young. When should I start using a heat lamp with him? All I use is the UV lamp right now.

I believe they still need to bask, with my 5mo, I only have a 20watt bulb to maintain the proper temperature at the basking branch (in the summer).

I am no expert wait for someone else to help out.

Do you know about supplementing, feeding/gutloading the insects, appropriate temperatures, providing water? How many and what size insects to feed to it?

Do you know about supplementing, feeding/gutloading the insects, appropriate temperatures, providing water? How many and what size insects to feed to it?

Yes I already know all that, all i'm asking is what age he should be when I start using a heat lamp?

Right from the link I provided

Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)

Sooo? What is this telling me? I understand that he's a juvenile but he is 3 WEEKS old I need to know how many weeks to start using the lamp, not the temperature.

So provide the proper branches ranging in high below the lamp the highest branch should be 85 and make lower branches range lower than that all the way down to your ambient temperature.

Your Chameleon will thermoregulate his temp by moving around the branches to be in the temperature he wants, the problem happens when you have limited options for him to choose, he needs different ranges of heat humidity and exposure ( how exposed he is to your view)

So provide the proper branches ranging in high below the lamp the highest branch should be 85 and make lower branches range lower than that all the way down to your ambient temperature.

Your Chameleon will thermoregulate his temp by moving around the branches to be in the temperature he wants, the problem happens when you have limited options for him to choose, he needs different ranges of heat humidity and exposure ( how exposed he is to your view)

Okay I understand what you're saying, I'll post a picture to make it easier. You can't see him in the picture because he's not even th size of my thumb but he's there.

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 78
The chameleon needs a basking area with a temperature in the low 80's right from the beginning until it's at least 6 or 7 months old.
I asked about those things because it you don't know when to use the light you don't know anything else either....with your answer maybe you know and maybe you just think you know. I was just trying to make sure so that you don't end up with problems down the road that could have been prevented. I should have been clearer.

The chameleon needs a basking area with a temperature in the low 80's right from the beginning until it's at least 6 or 7 months old.
I asked about those things because it you don't know when to use the light you don't know anything else either....with your answer maybe you know and maybe you just think you know. I was just trying to make sure so that you don't end up with problems down the road that could have been prevented. I should have been clearer.

I'm just kind of getting frustrated because all I was asking was how old he should be.

Back
Top Bottom