26 Chameleons stolen from Kissimmee FL

I have written Dez on FB and expressed my sorrow for this horrible situation, but wanted to say again how sorry I am. I pray somehow this will have a good outcome and all of your chameleons will make it back to you where they belong..

Des, have you gone to the local news with this? It occurs to me that it's a weird story, and a local news channel may be interested. That would be a tremendous help in getting leads potentially, because if these people are local and they suddenly have almost 30 new lizards someone must have noticed; a friend, a family member, etc.
This is a great idea.

Des, have you gone to the local news with this? It occurs to me that it's a weird story, and a local news channel may be interested. That would be a tremendous help in getting leads potentially, because if these people are local and they suddenly have almost 30 new lizards someone must have noticed; a friend, a family member, etc.

I also agree this is a good idea! Gets info out to the general public..People not on FB or CF.. but may very well have noticed "suspicious" activity "next door"..

(WOW) What a world we live in today. When I was little we could go to bed without locking the doors. Now someone can't have an exotic chameleon business without some moron helping himself. Not a whole lot I can't stand more than a thief! I truly hope you get them back, and the ones who did it are brought to justice.

This is horrible and a nightmare for any chameleon keepers. My regards and best of luck recovering all your chameleons. Sorry for your loss and I hope you recover from this.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Dez, I am keeping you and all of your little ones in my thoughts and prayers. If there's anything at all I can do for you please don't hesitate to let me know.

Did they think to check for prints on the enclosures? Obviously yours and Jason's will be on it, but surely there would be some part of a print on 26 enclosures

They told me they WOULD NOT be able to get fingerprints off the cage doors. They said it needed to be a smooth clean surface ..and even though I pointed out that the aluminium frame seems smooth and is where you would touch it to close it....they told me no

That's awful, so sorry for you. I almost went through something similar in the 90's that was enough for me to get out of the hobby for awhile. I had shady people who I didn't know casing my operation. Random knocks on the door to see if anyone was home, individuals breaking into my fully fenced back yard. I had people I didn't know that were a days drive away just showing up unannounced and demanding entry.

Learned my lesson. Alarm system and fully visible security cameras now, and I don't give tours anymore. Guarded like a grow operation. For some reason the reptile hobby attracts some shady characters who think nothing of ripping you off. They'll crush your soul if you give them half a chance.

They told me they WOULD NOT be able to get fingerprints off the cage doors. They said it needed to be a smooth clean surface ..and even though I pointed out that the aluminium frame seems smooth and is where you would touch it to close it....they told me no

What about the door to the greenhouse? I would try everything to get prints, even if it meant going over their heads and contacting their supervisor

Chase

I hate to say it but the cops don't take finger prints any more unless there was a death of some sort. It's sad and frustrating. I've been robbed a few times in the past, once a person literally removed the glass from my window and left fully visible prints on the glass but the cops flat out refused to take prints. And don't let them fool you about rough surfaces. They can get prints off a piece of charcoal if they wanted to. Burnt CA glue works perfectly for that.

I hate to say it but the cops don't take finger prints any more unless there was a death of some sort. It's sad and frustrating. I've been robbed a few times in the past, once a person literally removed the glass from my window and left fully visible prints on the glass but the cops flat out refused to take prints. And don't let them fool you about rough surfaces. They can get prints off a piece of charcoal if they wanted to. Burnt CA glue works perfectly for that.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. How are they supposed to catch the person who did it then? I'm not saying you're lying or anything negative towards you, but to the law enforcement. I know people who have not had the same experience as that after being robbed. I wonder if that is across the board with all law enforcement or if it differs by county.

Chase

here is another thought- sorry Dez, I am sure you are being bombarded with ideas, but can you also let ship your reptiles know - do you think that would do any good ? if they all the sudden have someone close to you ship out a bunch of boxes ? I don't know if this is a dumb idea or not - its just with how easy you can now ship these guys- they could be anyplace now- that is another reason we ALL need to watch for them - not just the ppl in Fla - if even one is found, that will lead to more of them hopefully - not tiring to bring down hope, just want everyone everywhere to be looking - and even tho I don't know you "personally" - the help you have given to others , and the great chams you breed - if I had even one worthy of your great breeding program, I would send him to you - but most of mine are rescue, they can hardly sit on a vine, let alone breed - I wish I knew some way to help more :(

Dez,

I am so sorry to read this. I will make sure I stop in at all the pet shops I can from Tampa and north and ask them all to keep an eye out. I know lots of those people are cham fans and will be as pissed as I am.

I'm praying that your babies are all safe and are recovered quickly. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

-Michael

Very sorry to hear this. What a sad thing! I liked the idea that was mentioned of going to the local news. See if they can run a story. I hope you are able to recover them and that they are being handled/treated decently in the interim. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

really sucks to hear this. With that many Chams, it may be time to invest in a security camera system for your greenhouse. They have come down in price and night vision on these cameras has really improved.

Hopefully some leads pop up and you can get your chams back because that is alot of chams to lose, and who ever did it has probably been eyeing it out for a while and knew when to make the move....

Sad to hear.

OH NO!!!!
I am just now seeing this! this is terrible!! it makes me sick to think about it!

I am so sorry.

It may be a state thing, but cops do not dust for fingerprints here unless there is a suspected homicide or kidnapping.
I know this because one of my neighbors got his home robbed of some 20K$ worth of camera gear, and the detective told him they will not do fingerprints in spite of the fact that the perps obviously came in through a glass door and made several visable prints.

I hope you get them back alive and well.

I just cant wrap my head around the idea of steeling 26 chams all at once!?

I am sooo sorry to hear about this! I'm in canada so there's probably not much I can do to help but I will keep you and your chams in my thoughts and prayers, I hope they are returned unharmed. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom