2 years of happiness, congrats Bella

Way appreciated 👏🏻 But temps are max 68 and she only gets 3 times a week 3-4 feeders. Her clutches are around 20-25 eggs, as an average over 6 clutches (by now). My girl is just highly active and I can’t slow her down, at least I don’t know how. I’m fully aware about the shortening of lifetime related to the egg laying, but I can’t slow her down?!
I don’t know a whole lot about it the complete biology of it all, but I’m inclined to believe that while ‘the program’ works well for some girls, it’s by no means a magic solution that works the same for all. You’ve been doing all that you can and Bella‘s clutches aren’t big, so it is working. Bella is just her own unique self. 💗 I love her face btw.

T
I don’t know a whole lot about it the complete biology of it all, but I’m inclined to believe that while ‘the program’ works well for some girls, it’s by no means a magic solution that works the same for all. You’ve been doing all that you can and Bella‘s clutches aren’t big, so it is working. Bella is just her own unique self. 💗 I love her face btw.
Thank you 🫶🏻 Always had that same feeling and some are just productive than others. I think at her fourth clutch I already a topic regarding this subject. And there I realized that the experienced long time keepers had girls that maximum gave 10-12 clutches before they passed away 😔😔. That’s the most disturbing thing about it 😪

@Sonny13 I’m still looking into slowing the female veileds down even more and eliminating reproduction completely in them when possible. I was able to stop them completely…but I always hesitate to have others push it that far because I think it puts them on the edge…it’s hard to draw the line where reproduction can be stopped and decline in health might start….and I don’t want to be responsible for pushing someone so that I put their chameleon over the line,

One veiled female chameleon I was given, was producing eggs 3 or 4 times a year...and I was given her to show that I could shut her reproduction down. It only took me two months before she produced no more eggs. I think she was slightly over 2 when I got her and she lived to be over 7 without producing any more eggs.
I was lucky…once I started shutting them down, it seemed I could do it with all my female veileds...and they almost always lived to be over 6.

I tried to work on panthers, but I didn’t push it as far, and only decreased the size of the clutches with them. Not because of egg laying, I stopped working with female panthers… but it was because it was difficult to get males and females that were the same morph/species and I found that certain ones bred together produced weak hatchlings. Sybella some of the morphs are too far apart genetically to produce well…or maybe there’s some other reason I haven’t figured out.

I did keep some male panthers after that though,

@Sonny13 I’m still looking into slowing the female veileds down even more and eliminating reproduction completely in them when possible. I was able to stop them completely…but I always hesitate to have others push it that far because I think it puts them on the edge…it’s hard to draw the line where reproduction can be stopped and decline in health might start….and I don’t want to be responsible for pushing someone so that I put their chameleon over the line,

One veiled female chameleon I was given, was producing eggs 3 or 4 times a year...and I was given her to show that I could shut her reproduction down. It only took me two months before she produced no more eggs. I think she was slightly over 2 when I got her and she lived to be over 7 without producing any more eggs.
I was lucky…once I started shutting them down, it seemed I could do it with all my female veileds...and they almost always lived to be over 6.

I tried to work on panthers, but I didn’t push it as far, and only decreased the size of the clutches with them. Not because of egg laying, I stopped working with female panthers… but it was because it was difficult to get males and females that were the same morph/species and I found that certain ones bred together produced weak hatchlings. Sybella some of the morphs are too far apart genetically to produce well…or maybe there’s some other reason I haven’t figured out.

I did keep some male panthers after that though,
Thank you Lynda for your time and help again. I think you’re the first on the forums actually having real data and experience about the errors of crossbreeding panthers locals. So far I’ve never read anything about the effects mixing morphs. Good you stopped with it, more breeders should.

Back to Bella, now you rose my curiosity. How did you stop them completely? 6-7 years is a wonderful age for a female and if Bella continues producing I’m afraid she will never make it till this age. Then she would already laid 18 till 20 clutches. I’ve read 10 till max. 13 clutches is maximum our experienced members ever reached with their girls.

Back
Top Bottom