2 temp guns 2 completely different readings

jamjam

Established Member
my brother owns a temp gun and its always a fight on who has it or where it ends up. seen one 70% off so went and got it, the 2 of them read completely different readings. i dont know what to do or which to believe

With temp guns you need to know the distance that it reads accurately. For instance: some less expensive temp guns will read a 1" square from 1" away from the area being read. If you hold that temp gun 12" from the spot you want a reading on, it is actually reading a 12" square and giving you the average.

The better temp guns will read a 1" square from about 24" away, giving you a much more accurate reading. My bet is that both of the guns are correct, but need to be held at different distances from the target.

so the display spot size of mine is 8:1, so from 8 inches away it is measures a inch square temp. then from 16 inches read a 2 inch square. unfortunately the one we had first (my brothers) no one knows what it reads its been around for a number of years now

seems like no matter how close or how far i point the guns at the same objects difference is usually 10+

You got the idea. Holding at 8" or closer will give you the best reading. I am looking at some right now online and am finding some really good prices on some 12:1 temp guns on Amazon. I am hoping I can find a good 24:1, but it may be out of my price range.

If you are getting that difference no matter what, I would probably err on the side of the new gun. If you really want to know, you can put a standard thermometer on that spot and check it to your guns.

only have themometer probes i use in the tank at home. ill comepare it to those i guess, just misted so ill wait for it to be dry

I just ordered a 16:1 temp gun from amazon fro $25. I saw them up to 50:1, but the price was almost $500, and not worth the cost for me.

damn i should have just looked on amazon paid 30 for the one i got 8:1. anyways one of the probes was currently reading 76, at point blank the old gun was reading 83 and the new one point blank was 77.

Sounds like the new is the more accurate gun.

I LOVE Amazon!!! I have ordered almost everything for my chams and baby bins from amazon. Except PVC pipes and the lights. I am not kidding when I say that I order from amazon several times a week. You just have to love PRIME.

Anyway, I am glad you have figured out which gun to use.

Sounds like the new is the more accurate gun.

I LOVE Amazon!!! I have ordered almost everything for my chams and baby bins from amazon. Except PVC pipes and the lights. I am not kidding when I say that I order from amazon several times a week. You just have to love PRIME.

Anyway, I am glad you have figured out which gun to use.

awesome glad that got figured out :D.i should start taking more looks on amazon and what not but swear usually shipping to canada doesnt make it that worth it. like im currently looking for magnatural plant holders amazin says i only save 4$ which isnt that big of a deal

Back
Top Bottom