1000 crickets too many..

Aussie

Hey everyone, I just got 1000 1/4-1/2 crickets and its waaay more than I thought it'd be. I have them in a cricket keeper and I think there might be too many in there together. The cage thing is 11x8 inches and I have 3 of the black tube things in the sides and 8 toilet paper rolls in there. Is that too many crickets to have in there?

Yes they will end up smothering each other. Get a rubbermaid tub and cut out the top and sides for air and hot glue screen onto it. Put egg crate material and paper towel cardboard rolls in it for the crickets to clim into so they don't lay on each other and smother each out.

Alright will do. Will they be okay for 1 day like that? I have to move tomorrow and I need my big tubs to move my stuff.

I have to second the rubbermaid container! 100 crickets is too many for most " Cricket Keepers"

Invest in that , get a few extra and breed your own, then never buy again!;)

I have a 20 gallon tub I'm going to use but I need it to move tomorrow before I cut it apart and fill it with crickets lol. Should I put the crickets in it tonight or is it okay to keep them in the cricket keeper until tomorrow night?

Take a picture of the 1000 in the keeper, then move them fast. I would predict a ton of die-off before tomorrow.
Anything works to house them really.
Even a large cardboard box would work.

Here are the pics

Attachments

• DSC1602-XL.jpg
    DSC1602-XL.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC1601-XL.jpg
    DSC1601-XL.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC1605-XL.jpg
    DSC1605-XL.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC1606-XL.jpg
    DSC1606-XL.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC1604-L.jpg
    DSC1604-L.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 80
Oh, they are tiny:eek:

That looks fine to me.

I would leave them in there.;)

Hahahaha, I was expecting it jam-packed with crickets! :p

Hahaha alright then. Yeah they're pretty small, theres room for them to spread out to some of the other tubes but they're all huddled in like 3-4 of them. And yeah theyre not just in piles climbing all over each other so I think theyll be fine. Just thought I should double check with the experts ;)

Thanks for the help!

Are you sure they sold you 1000? I get boxes of 1000 and it seems like there are 5 times as many as in the critter keeper. Maybe my glasses aren't working. Container looks great and the crickets will be happy eating all them goodies:)

It seemed like a million of them to me haha. Some escaped while getting them in the cricket keeper and my roomates stomped them so I lost some of them to that lol. There were also like 50 dead when they arrived. Theres like 4 toilet paper tubes and then the 3 black tubes in there where every open space of it is covered and a ton of them are hiding underneath everything. Even if I didn't get all 1000 of them I don't mind because the 1000 of them that I ordered from small pet feeders was the same price as 200 at the local pet store haha.

All those toilet paper tubes were a really good idea.

Here's a picture of my cricket bin. The 5 gallon bucket with lid cost me about $6 at Dixieline...much less than a rubbermaid container.

37531d1308973741-cricket-setup-cricket2.jpg

My husband used a hole saw to drill the holes in the bucket and the top, they are covered with screening. I had that around the house, but it's not expensive.

I think you'll find something like that to be a better solution to the big shipments. You can work below the top of the enclosure when you remove them from the box...I've yet to lose a cricket getting them from box to bin.

Back
Top Bottom