10 year-old buying chameleon

r/theflex

This is simple; I am 10 years old and am getting a chameleon. Any advice?

from ray

this is what I'm buying
im buying flukers too

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 006 - Rainbow Jacksons Chameleons (Jacksonii jacksonii) for sale - Undergro_ ...png
    FireShot Capture 006 - Rainbow Jacksons Chameleons (Jacksonii jacksonii) for sale - Undergro_ ...png
    332.2 KB · Views: 48
  • FireShot Capture 008 - Amazon.com Shopping Cart - www.amazon.com.png
    FireShot Capture 008 - Amazon.com Shopping Cart - www.amazon.com.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 45
  • FireShot Capture 007 - Amazon.com Shopping Cart - www.amazon.com.png
    FireShot Capture 007 - Amazon.com Shopping Cart - www.amazon.com.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 52
  • FireShot Capture 009 - Amazon.com_ Simple Deluxe 150W 2-Pack Ceramic Heat Lamp Reptile Heat _ ...png
    FireShot Capture 009 - Amazon.com_ Simple Deluxe 150W 2-Pack Ceramic Heat Lamp Reptile Heat _ ...png
    10.3 KB · Views: 51
Hello! I’m brand new to keeping but I will tell you, that coil ubv is no good. You need a t5 high output linear ubv light. It’s a long skinny bulb reptisun makes one that is a 5.0 or Arcadia makes one and it’s a 6% either of those will work. But the coil will not provide the ubv your chameleon needs to prevent metabolic bone disease which is debilitating and painful. You should check out the chameleon academy for information on chameleon care and proper husbandry as well as hearing advice from the experts on here like @Beman @kinyonga @MissSkittles … also you are very young do you have your parents support to keep up with all the care requirements? It’s a lot, I’m 40 and I’m currently overwhelmed trying to get my chameleons environment on point.

Hi there! Before you go purchasing please review chameleon academy, Neptune the chameleon and search around this site, there are a few things that are not advised in your cart. Maybe an expert will chime in to assist and I agree with the above comments on lights and chameleon owing. It’s a huge responsibility so I hope you have parental support and guidance as well. 😊
The one thing that sticks out to me besides lighting is your supplements. Please check that out. And feeders need gut loading so if you haven’t researched that I would also. They are not the easiest or cheapest pets but I can’t deny rewarding and cute!

Repti sun t5HO terrarium hood, repti sun basking light hood. No bark if you’re not having a bio bottom , it should be bare. And the vines should be real hardwood sticks from outside. If not flukers vines work. No fake vines with leaves. Chams should have real plants only. I can’t load pics because I’m not computer savvy. I apologize.

Also research the specific supplements you need for your species of chameleon. It’s usually calcium with no d3 and occasional vitamins and d3. But please read up, it’s crucial to this babies survival.

Repti sun terrarium t5 ho hood 24in
Repti sun 8.5in basking lamp
Thermometer with prong to test temperature at basking level
Repashy lo d I give 2x month and plain calcium without d3 daily (but I have a panther chameleon)
All real houseplants and sticks from outside.
I see you have a mister.

what deco should I get, then?
The only deco they need is plants and sticks really. They use the sticks to climb and plants to hide. He probably won’t use the tunnel, in the wild they live in trees. They would be vulnerable to prey in a tunnel.

Hi there!

Do NOT purchase from underground reptiles. They are notorious for catching wild animals that are infested with parasites and are sickly and sending them in terrible condition to people such as you. I would highly recommend that you seek out a reputable breeder instead. Furthermore if you end up with a female (which is likely), she’ll be pregnant and will give birth to tens of babies.

Please read all information on chameleon academy about Jackson’s - especially temperatures and humidity. They are montane animals and need temperature drops to around 60° in order to live a full and healthy life.

I completely understand your desire for a chameleon, and it seems that you’ve done some good research (no Cham kit, 2x2x4, etc…) but keep in mind you shouldn’t use any plastics or fake vines/plants/sticks/rocks in your enclosure. You should get sticks from outside, and live plants from stores like Lowes, Walmart, or Home Depot. Keep in mind you need to wash the plants with dish soap and water, and will need to repot them into clean, organic, perlite free soil. The first investment for a chameleon is easily $700, and that is the bare minimum. They are tricky animals who have very specific care requirements. They can get sick, and the vet bills are no fun. Also think about what would happen if/when you leave for college? Chances are a cham won’t live that long, but you should plan for it regardless.

I’m just saying to truly do your research completely before making a decision about getting a chameleon, it’s my best piece of advice. If after you read this, and do your research, you still feel like you can do it - awesome! There are other young keepers here on these forums, they may be able to give you some pointers on how they started!

Best of luck :)

oh the misery
jk see
Hi there!

Do NOT purchase from underground reptiles. They are notorious for catching wild animals that are infested with parasites and are sickly and sending them in terrible condition to people such as you. I would highly recommend that you seek out a reputable breeder instead. Furthermore if you end up with a female (which is likely), she’ll be pregnant and will give birth to tens of babies.

Please read all information on chameleon academy about Jackson’s - especially temperatures and humidity. They are montane animals and need temperature drops to around 60° in order to live a full and healthy life.

I completely understand your desire for a chameleon, and it seems that you’ve done some good research (no Cham kit, 2x2x4, etc…) but keep in mind you shouldn’t use any plastics or fake vines/plants/sticks/rocks in your enclosure. You should get sticks from outside, and live plants from stores like Lowes, Walmart, or Home Depot. Keep in mind you need to wash the plants with dish soap and water, and will need to repot them into clean, organic, perlite free soil. The first investment for a chameleon is easily $700, and that is the bare minimum. They are tricky animals who have very specific care requirements. They can get sick, and the vet bills are no fun. Also think about what would happen if/when you leave for college? Chances are a cham won’t live that long, but you should plan for it regardless.

I’m just saying to truly do your research completely before making a decision about getting a chameleon, it’s my best piece of advice. If after you read this, and do your research, you still feel like you can do it - awesome! There are other young keepers here on these forums, they may be able to give you some pointers on how they started!

Best of luck :)
holy mackerel! I did not know that!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom