10.0 uv bulbs is this true?

kingjohn

hi every1, i went to my local pet shop the weekend to get a 5.0 reptisun, and the shop keeper asked what for, i told him yemen cham and he tells me i need the 10.0 which i thought was wrong, so i told him im pretty sure i read on the forums that 10.0 was dangerous or not good for some reason?

when i told him i use mercury vapour bulb atm but was advised to change he said the all in one bulb is better and puts around 12% uv out

so i left it that id come home and read up abit more but i still dont know what to get now,

(hes not the ordinary buy this, i dont know what im talkin about guy) ive known him years and hes kept chams for 15

just thought its strange his opinion conflicts with what ive heard alot before

please help lol

thanks john

Reptisun 5.0 linears are what is recommended but I use a reptisun 10.0 linear because my cage is large. It is controversial which is best but what isn't controvercial is the fact that any COIL UVB bulbs are bad. Many people use mercury vapor bulbs though without problem.

Reptisun 5.0 linears are what is recommended but I use a reptisun 10.0 linear because my cage is large. It is controversial which is best but what isn't controvercial is the fact that any COIL UVB bulbs are bad. Many people use mercury vapor bulbs though without problem.

actually the coiled uvb thing is pretty controversial as well as is the use of MVBs.

Stick to what is tried and true unless you have all the necessary tools and knowledge to experiment.

actually the coiled uvb thing is pretty controversial as well as is the use of MVBs.

Stick to what is tried and true unless you have all the necessary tools and knowledge to experiment.

No the coil UVB is fact. I had it happen to my since past female. Also there is even a website on it, though I do not have the link. Until all the bugs are sorted out with them, it is advised to STAY AWAY

hi, i definately wont get a coil bulb, just dont know too get a 5.0 linear 10.0 linear or just still with the reptisun mvb thing ive used from when he was a baby :confused: my girlfreind tells me too keep what he has but by what i read on here i want the linear

how often does a 5.0 reptisun need replacing? 6months?

hi, i definately wont get a coil bulb, just dont know too get a 5.0 linear 10.0 linear or just still with the reptisun mvb thing ive used from when he was a baby :confused: my girlfreind tells me too keep what he has but by what i read on here i want the linear

how often does a 5.0 reptisun need replacing? 6months?

It is recommended to replace the UVB bulbs at the 6 month mark, Although the Repti Sun is still producing good amounts of UVB past 6 months, the amount produced is diminished.

I personally would go with the 5.0.

No the coil UVB is fact. I had it happen to my since past female. Also there is even a website on it, though I do not have the link. Until all the bugs are sorted out with them, it is advised to STAY AWAY

is it now? Perhaps you should let Chris Anderson know that :D

if your linear tube is placed outside the cage then id go for a 10.0, if you have it inside the cage then go for a 5.0, the mesh filters out alot of the uv, thats why we use 10.0 if its outside the viv.

hope that helps dude

rob

if your linear tube is placed outside the cage then id go for a 10.0, if you have it inside the cage then go for a 5.0, the mesh filters out alot of the uv, thats why we use 10.0 if its outside the viv.

hope that helps dude

rob

I'm not sure why you would put the UVB (or any) light INSIDE the cage. The 5.0 is the one that is needed unless you are using a Flexarium or Reptarium that use a thicker, darker mesh. It does block out some of the UVB from the light. If you are using the regular screen cages, the 5.0 placed on top (outside) of the cage is perfect. The basking spot should be about 6 inches from the light.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/reptisun-38289/

hope that helps dude

rob

Actually it's never suggested to put the fixture in the cage. The 10.0 is used if you have a larger cage that way uvb makes it through the entire cage. I use 5.0's outside all my cages.

I've been using 5.0 for all three of my chams but just recently have started using the 10.0 for my female veileds 24x24x48 enclosure. I've been closely observing her with the change and have seen no ill effects. It has been about a month now and I almost want to say she likes it more. If you do use the 10.0 the only thing I would recommend is plenty of plant life, foliage, cover for her to escape the UVB if needed. Also, 10.0 should only be used on larger enclosures.

You can use your MV if you have a UVB metre and are able to therefore position it correctly. You also have to watch the temps.
Most people find the tubes easier. You can usse either the 10.0 or the 5.0. If you choose the 10.0 make sure the chameleon is able to choose to be out of the UVB but still near its heat source basking bulb. I am using reptiGlo 5.0, 12.0 and 10s and ReptiSun 5 and 10 on various cages. All of them work, when set up right.

is it now? Perhaps you should let Chris Anderson know that :D

https://www.chameleonforums.com/subject-coil-uvb-bulbs-36225/

many of the coil brands have been shown to have ill effects, but I guess not all of them. Though the major question on here I notice when someone says their cham is sick is "What kind of UVB bulb are you using?" and yes the wrong kind can cause blindness and infection, also burns and other kinds of sickness. So unless you know what brand to get I suggest staying away from all of them and going for the proven reptisun linear tubes. Chris Anderson is a professional, so obviously he knows the difference in UVB bulbs, but chances are your average chameleon keeper at first will have no clue.

many of the coil brands have been shown to have ill effects, but I guess not all of them. Though the major question on here I notice when someone says their cham is sick is "What kind of UVB bulb are you using?" and yes the wrong kind can cause blindness and infection, also burns and other kinds of sickness. So unless you know what brand to get I suggest staying away from all of them and going for the proven reptisun linear tubes. Chris Anderson is a professional, so obviously he knows the difference in UVB bulbs, but chances are your average chameleon keeper at first will have no clue.

You are correct about the old CFL's. Many problems. I posted this link a few minutes ago but I guess it was overlooked. You need to open the CFL box and look at the instruction sheet to see the manufacturing date printed on it. That is basically the only way to tell the old from the new. There are a few differences in the box itself, but the best and most reliable way is the instruction sheet.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/repti-sun-cfl-old-vs-new-31927/

Exactly! To be honest, I still don't like them and personally won't use them, but to say that they are all bad and dangerous is not "fact". :cool:

right i decided im going to use linear and basking seperate just still not 100% on too get 10.0 or 5.0 my light fixture is an inch off the mesh at the top perch is 5" from the top cage is just under 4ft tall and has lots of foilage from a large umberella and a couple fake plants

If you want to be safe and are undecided I would just recommended going with the 5.0. It's proven safe and effective.

I'm not sure why you would put the UVB (or any) light INSIDE the cage. The 5.0 is the one that is needed unless you are using a Flexarium or Reptarium that use a thicker, darker mesh. It does block out some of the UVB from the light. If you are using the regular screen cages, the 5.0 placed on top (outside) of the cage is perfect. The basking spot should be about 6 inches from the light.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/reptisun-38289/

well i have seen some cham set ups with the tube in side, so it could have been possible that this keeper was one who kept the uv tube inside....

with all my cham vivs i have the tube on top, i use 5.0s on babies to sub adult, and when they are in their own big vivs it has the 10.0

well i have seen some cham set ups with the tube in side, so it could have been possible that this keeper was one who kept the uv tube inside....

I have also seen chameleons kept in a cage too small for them without any UVB source...that doesn't make it OK to do.:D

Back
Top Bottom