ZooMed's new LED/UVB Hybrid Lights

WayneL333

Hi everyone,

I'm really into saltwater reefing and saw this on a popular reefing blog, which is funny because the lights were made for reptiles but they were talking about using it for reefing.

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/13/reptisun-led-uvb-zoomed-makings-great-hybrid-aquarium-light/

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. They look really cool and eliminate having to replace new plant grow lights. LED's are all the new rage in the aquarium world. It looks like they're spreading to other hobbies too.

you can grow plants with leds? I have to have a T5HO to get good growth. How would 5-10 watts of leds do anything since they dont put out any uv? And wouldnt the leds mess up the nice 6500k color from the expensive bulb?

you can grow plants with leds? I have to have a T5HO to get good growth. How would 5-10 watts of leds do anything since they dont put out any uv? And wouldnt the leds mess up the nice 6500k color from the expensive bulb?

Yeah, you can grow plants with LEDs. Corals can grow under them and I read they're using them in the 'medicinal' plant world. The UVB is still coming from a fluorescent bulb that's combined in the fixture, hence the led/UVB hybrid fixture.

Plants can be grown with LEDs. Check out lightyourreptiles Jungle Dawn series!

I think you may be confused, it is a combo, so there is a spot for a t5ho bulb (a UVB bulb for chameleon keepers) and then the LEDs produce the natural "daylight" for plant growth. There would be no need for t5 6500k bulb then.

Plants can be grown with LEDs. Check out lightyourreptiles Jungle Dawn series!

I think you may be confused, it is a combo, so there is a spot for a t5ho bulb (a UVB bulb for chameleon keepers) and then the LEDs produce the natural "daylight" for plant growth. There would be no need for t5 6500k bulb then.

That is pretty cool. I have never approached LED's just because there is a lot I don't know about "LED". I will have to check out that setup.

Back
Top Bottom