Your thoughts on desert move..

one of my uncles is aeronatics engineer and works for lockhead martin (did work on TACMs missile system, came out on future weapons), the other is an electrical engineer for Texas Instruments, last i talked to him, he was having business meetings with some asian group (samsung i think) about a new tablet computer, Ipad competition. If you work in those fields you might know them. Anyway yeah off topic. I've been looking for custom cages online, but it seems that most customs have glass doors. I think I might end up getting that 7 foot high cage from lllreptile and doing alot of diy work.

My opinion

In that low humidity, if u can afford it youDEFINITELY want glass. There is an exo-terra tank 36x18x36 which would be PERFECT for your needs. With a glass tank rather then a screen cage covered with ugly shower curtains, you are going to have a lot better luck keeping the humidity up and the mold/bacteria down.

I would also recommend the monsoon over the mistking, as it is roughly the same price depending on size, but again is better looking, more efficient and alot easier to set-up. The only disadvantage would be that the mistaking has the larger possible reservoir, but the 2 gallons in a monsoon in a glass tank should last a month. The convinience of the monsoon and of the glass tank are going to make the cage prettier and gonna give you more time enjoying your chameleon rather then cleaning up after him

Good luck, with whatever you choose :)

, JJ

The glass thing is still open in my mind, but i really would like something bigger than 36" high. So yeah I'm probably leaning towards a custom built cage. I'd probably start with the 7 foot cage from lllreptiles, then line the inside, back, and bottom with plastic or similar material, make the seals nice and waterproof. Then decide on drainage system, but I got some pretty good inspiration from earlier responses. The front and top would still be screen for air flow and light placement. I was thinking of the possibility of mounting in a cabinet that would have doors that could close in front of the screen if humidity is still an issue. I was just kinda hoping when I originally made this thread that something like this was already available, but I guess it makes for a good project. I'm pretty impulsive too and even though I have alot of time till move, i'm leaning towards starting to build this contraption tomorrow. I think i'll wait on more responses though lol.

good luck with whatever you decide

if you are the type of person who is up for the project then this may be a great descision for you. really, both methods will work with similiar results, its a bit of a choice between quality , convinience and looks or size and less pricey.

me myself i would always choose convienience and quality. im not much of a do-it-yourself guy. if you are however, good on ya!

good luck, JJ:D

Yeah aesthetics do play a part for me, glass terrariums seem to be alot more pleasing to the eye (and solve the humidity issue), but if i can make a screen cage look good, solve the humidity problem and be easy to maintain after its completed, then I say its prob worth it for the chameleon, based on all the respones. Oh yeah I did read abotu Chris Anderson's setup, the only thing that concerned me is that he is keeping smaller chams in those.

How active is your chameleon? If u check out one of my threads page 7 Chris anderson post paragraph 2 it says you can keep a veiled in a 36x18x36. sorry bout not posting a link, I'm actually on my iPod right now, and it's being a bitch. It's on the second page of the general forums right now, only one with 77 posts. Called " deciding on a chameleon" anyways, these are just my opinions. I just bought a large Exo terra yesterday and am very pleased.

well she is still young (4 months), and is currently in a reptibreeze that is 16x16x20, but I want to go ahead and go endstate with my next purchase. As far as how active she is. She sometimes moves all over all day, and sometimes she just sits under basking lamp waiting for cricket to come to her. I think it jsut depends on how hungry she is. At one point though i thought she might need to lay eggs she was moving around so much, she even walked around on the bottom quite a bit. So i redid her cage and places a 1 feet deep planting pot filled with playsand and of course her vines and stuff in it, left it there for 3 days but she didn't use it so I took it back out and just figured she was restless.

Well, again in my opinion that terrarium will do just fine. There's no way a chameleon that young would be Gravid. I would also recommend hand/cup feeding. Not only is it more fun:) but it also help the chameleon to get all that she needs, so she won't be constantly searching her cage. It will also help her create a connection/ bond to you. Many chameleons who are hand or cup fed will run out to you as soon as u open the cage. It's exciting! If she was digging it could mean her cage is to small.

Another feature of the exo terra, in relation to cup feeding is the opening doors. They are incredibly convenient and help alot with maintenance feeding etc.

You do NOT want that tank. From what I can see there is no ventilation. Doesn't even look like there's a screen top. If your going glass. The exo-terra 36x18x36 is your best bet. As long as its at least 3 feet off the ground it will be fine.

You do NOT want that tank. From what I can see there is no ventilation. Doesn't even look like there's a screen top. If your going glass. The exo-terra 36x18x36 is your best bet. As long as its at least 3 feet off the ground it will be fine.

Dude, weren't you arguing with us about glass tanks a few days ago?

Not at all. It dry up here it dry down there. With a/c the temps will be the same or similar.
Glass is fine anywhere. Read Chris andersons thread before posting that. It clearly identifies the theory in which glass is only good in certain parts of the world, as false

I've read it, and I know Chris knows his stuff very well.

But I prefer cage over glass any day, as do most.

btw.. look at the size of chameleon Chris houses in his biggest exo-terra terrarium. compare its size to a veiled's size.

Personally, if money is no object here. I would either build my own screen wood combo cage or have one built if you arent the do it yourself type. There is a company that sells screen/wood combo cages. And they can be custom ordered with solid sides and screen doors & screen tops. That would solve your humidity issue and it would be very aestheticly pleasing to exhibit your animal. They are sealed to prevent wood rot and you could have drainage holes added for your waste water to drain into a container beneath the cage. If I lived in a low humidity area I'd go screen & wood over glass. My reason for not really liking glass is its a pita to keep glass clean and keep water spots off the viewing areas. That personally drives me nuts. I want a nice clear view of my animals not looking thru dried water spots on the front glass. Also unless you get that terrarium drilled and put in approp drainage its going to be a pita to keep the bottom from becoming a soggy mess.

I think glass is great IF your going to keep montanes. And if they are smaller species. Otherwise I think there are better alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom